Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I got the Dhillon book and immediately leveled up on my curry. I already premade bases but my stuff was too thick. Unfortunately, it does not have a Pav Bhaji recipe. Suggestions?

One complaint I have of the book is that the premade meat recipes are kind of crap. Thats where grilling yogurt-marinaded stuff would come to the rescue.

Go ahead and modify this recipe to your liking; pav bhaji is very flexible. It's a refrigerator magnet. I've made this recipe (well, different vegetables and quantities of vegetables but the same aromatics and spices) before and it was both easy and tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone got a potato, green bean and coconut curry? My mum makes it and it's really thick and creamy and just tastes delicious.

Every time I ask her for a recipe, she forgets to send me it. I've been asking her for months. Recipes I've found online don't click well with me.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Yo, so I'm dating a Kerala guy. He's very into eating everything, no qualms about beef or pork products. He's a total macho-man about spice and heat, cant faze the guy. What's a fun bread, cracker or cookie type thing I could make for him to snack on that he might appreciate? I know he'd like anything I made, fallback is just make oatmeal dried fruit cookies, but I want to try branching out into indian food more than chicken tika and butter chicken.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Mangaloru buns. It's not exactly from Kerala but very close by. There's lots of recipes on the internet, I have never made them but my wife and mother in law make them a lot and they are very good

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So I made an attempt at chicken korma not too long ago. Aside from my numerous fuckups, I've basically boiled it down to a few major steps:

1. Fry the poo poo out of some spices, whole and ground.
2. Fry the poo poo out of some onion and garlic.
3. Fry the poo poo out of some chicken thigh.
4. Mix them all together, add some stock, and stew until the chicken is ready.
5. Add some coconut milk and maybe some cashews, then serve.

Looking around on Youtube, this seems to be the general case for curries. I see street food vendors basically doing exactly that: put some oil/ghee in a pan, fry up onions and garlic, fry up some whole and ground spices, then add chicken and stock and once it's cooked serve it up. Seems pretty simple, but I'm sure there's more to it. How intricate is the art of curry? Will I always get something good by following this heuristic, or is there something I'm missing?

Also, any suggestions for a dish with red lentils? I've got some red lentils I want to use up, and I was thinking of doing exactly what I detailed earlier - fry up some spices (basically make a tarka), fry up some garlic and onions, then add the spices and stew them with red lentils in some stock. Does that sound about right?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pollyanna posted:

Also, any suggestions for a dish with red lentils? I've got some red lentils I want to use up, and I was thinking of doing exactly what I detailed earlier - fry up some spices (basically make a tarka), fry up some garlic and onions, then add the spices and stew them with red lentils in some stock. Does that sound about right?

Someone complimented me on this post once.

CommonShore posted:

I think of lentils as belonging to two broad categories of hulled and unhulled.

Hulled lentils have had the exterior removed. These are the standard dry red lentils that we know and love:

I use these for things like dal. They tend to become a sludge or mush when cooked. Health-wise, they lower in fibre than unhulled lentils.

Unhulled lentils are a bit less processed:

The green lentils that we get from cans are of this sort. There are plenty of different kinds. They're more useful for dishes in which you want to maintain the lentil's structural integrity rather than have the lentil become a homogeneous mush.

Try making some dal! Here's a recipe that also includes tamarind. I'm not sure what they mean by "drumsticks." In the picture it looks like okra (bindi), and okra owns, so I'm just going to imagine that it's okra:

http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/Recipe/Dal-with-Drumsticks.html

(e. I looked it up and "drumstick" is not okra. It's its own thing.)

This one looks ok, too:
http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/dal-tadka-recipe-homestyle/

When I make dal at home I just kinda slap stuff in. Usually it'll look something like this, which is totally off the top of my head and not at all planned:
1.5 cup red lentil
0.5 cup brown lentil (for texture)
sufficient water/stock to cover (add more as it cooks to get the texture you want).
1 diced onion
1 chopped tomato
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp whole mustard seed
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp fenugreek
zest and juice of one lemon
1/2 cup coriander leaves
salt to taste.

I'm pretty sure that last time I made dal I also threw in a bunch of spinach, just to use it up. I've also been served dal with yam in it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

To make my recipe like a... recipe instead of an ingredient list...

Fry spices in ghee
Add onions and other vegetables
Add stock
Add soaked lentils.
Add anything I forgot.

Boil until soup.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

CommonShore posted:

To make my recipe like a... recipe instead of an ingredient list...

Fry spices in ghee
Add onions and other vegetables
Add stock
Add soaked lentils.
Add anything I forgot.

Boil until soup.

Yep, that works. Alternate method, especially useful if you want to make a big pot of dal and don't want to eat the same flavor profile every day:

Saute aromatics (onion, carrot) until aromatic.
Add ground spices and other volatile aromatics (garlic, ginger).
Add liquid.
Add soaked lentils.
Cook until done.

In separate pan:
Make a tarka by cracking whole spices in extremely hot oil or ghee, but don't burn them.
Pour tarka into your serving of dal. I pour through a strainer so there are no whole spices, because I am a baby who doesn't like picking cumin out of my teeth.

As far as dal goes, I like a mixture of mainly masoor and toor, with some urad and moong for earthiness and a very interesting flavor. Lobia, chori, and bengal gram are great to sub in, and chana if you want an interesting texture and that great buttery chickpea flavor. Buy a bunch of dal and experiment with different proportions.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are mustard seeds a necessity in cabbage bhaji? I had it just now at an Indian buffet and I wanna try making it myself, but I don't have the seeds.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Mustard seeds are good to have in, you may as well just go and get some.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

There was been a thing going around on veg-Facebook about these frozen veggie samosas that you can buy at the dollar store. I just ate a whole package, and they are pretty goddamned amazing!
Tasty, with lots of whole seeds, just about the right size (I don't like when they are HUGE), and they crisp up nicely in the oven.

Pollyanna posted:

Are mustard seeds a necessity in cabbage bhaji? I had it just now at an Indian buffet and I wanna try making it myself, but I don't have the seeds.

It's more of a regional thing: in some parts of India, they put mustard seeds in pretty much everything.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Those look proper, Squashy. Yeah, the South Indians love mustard seeds, as do the bengalis.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My boyfriend had me try Paan last night and my mouth still tastes like rosewater soap and cumin. At least my teeth arn't red any more though.

But we did go to a Bawarchi Biryanis, which was pretty darn good! Got the Mysore Masala Dosa and Chicken Biryani.

Blut blegh, Paan is not for me.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 8, 2017

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
After reading through the thread I'm wondering if there exists a sort of one-stop shopping book on Indian cooking, ie. not just recipes but techniques, ,maybe some discussion on regional variations, etc? I'm far from vegan/vegetarian so a book with that focus is only going to be marginally useful to me. Thanks.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Speaking of which, are there any YouTube channels that have non-vegetarian Indian recipes? I make do by adding chicken to the recipes on the ones I subscribe to, but it would be nice to be sure of how long I have to cook it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I would highly appreciate a book on Indian cooking, making curries, veg dishes, etc. too. Indian is one of those things I can't really wrap my head around without some instruction :(

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/user/FoodFoodindia

Most of it is in Hindi, but the ingredients are translated. They do recipes from a few areas of India as far as I can tell, and there are non-veg recipes too. Production quality is decent enough where it's not too annoying to watch or listen to it.

I've made a couple things and picked up a couple of techniques by watching how they do things. So it's worth it for that.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Made this on the weekend (doubled, because it's a teensy tiny amount of food and I love leftovers): https://indianhealthyrecipes.com/kadai-chicken/

Despite me doubling the recipe, then promptly forgetting to double some key ingredients (had to add a second bit of cumin and garlic ginger paste late, so they didn't fry/mix as nicely, completely forgot to double the tomatoes and broken chili), it turned out really well. I'm gonna make it again this week - hopefully, with the right amounts of ingredients :cripes:

Any recommendations for other changes I might make?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

vulturesrow posted:

After reading through the thread I'm wondering if there exists a sort of one-stop shopping book on Indian cooking, ie. not just recipes but techniques, ,maybe some discussion on regional variations, etc? I'm far from vegan/vegetarian so a book with that focus is only going to be marginally useful to me. Thanks.

My aunt bought this book for me years ago: https://www.amazon.com/Great-Curries-India-Camellia-Panjabi/dp/1904920357

I like it because the first third of the book is kind of talking about the different ingredients used in Indian curries, and why. She spends time breaking down curries into different components (like, you want a thickener, and a main flavor component, and something for color) and then gives different examples of curries broken down so you can what each ingredient is actually doing for the overall recipe. The rest of the book is just 50 recipes for different curries, each with an introduction talking about the region it's from and maybe a little backstory about how she came across it.

Not sure if anyone else likes/dislikes this book but it's definitely helped me get to the point where I feel like I can basically just make a curry from the stuff that I have instead of looking up specific recipes all the time.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

I'm far from vegan/vegetarian so a book with that focus is only going to be marginally useful to me. Thanks.

I totally disagree. If anything, cooking meat is EASIER then cooking veg.

Learning to cook DIno's way will teach you the important techniques, and how to use the spices. Learn to cook some dal first, and then some chana masala. The latter doesn't have to be vegan, many variations contain yogurt or cream.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

Speaking of which, are there any YouTube channels that have non-vegetarian Indian recipes? I make do by adding chicken to the recipes on the ones I subscribe to, but it would be nice to be sure of how long I have to cook it.

I like Vah Reh Vah a lot. His channel covers a really wide range of dishes.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ChickenWing posted:

Made this on the weekend (doubled, because it's a teensy tiny amount of food and I love leftovers): https://indianhealthyrecipes.com/kadai-chicken/

Despite me doubling the recipe, then promptly forgetting to double some key ingredients (had to add a second bit of cumin and garlic ginger paste late, so they didn't fry/mix as nicely, completely forgot to double the tomatoes and broken chili), it turned out really well. I'm gonna make it again this week - hopefully, with the right amounts of ingredients :cripes:

Any recommendations for other changes I might make?

Trip report, part two: doubled the recipe correctly this time. Added 50% more tomatoes and an extra chili, used cayenne chili powder instead of generic chili powder. Heat level was excellent - just the right amount for me to feel the burn the whole time, but still enjoy the flavours. Didn't quite get the full amount of cream, but that ended up being fine.

I've been using diced tomatoes, which has turned out nicely enough, but my wife isn't a fan of the skin bits - she thinks I should either peel or puree the tomatoes. I'll probably just end up getting a can of crushed next time and see what the difference ends up tasting like.

Lost the oil when removing the peppers and onions from the first step, not sure if that helped or hurt - on one hand, the diced onions were scorched a bit, I'm not sure how well I cooked the cumin (it just turns black and sticks to the pan, doesn't sputter like the recipe says), ginger garlic paste immediately partly stuck to the pan and burned (had to mix that in real quick), and some of the chicken stuck to the pan. On the other hand, the juices from the chicken cooking while covered soaked up a hell of a lot more flavour (although I think that's at least in part because I didn't open the lid and let them evaporate this time :v:).

Despite the missteps, still a solid recommendation.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ChickenWing posted:

Trip report, part two: doubled the recipe correctly this time. Added 50% more tomatoes and an extra chili, used cayenne chili powder instead of generic chili powder. Heat level was excellent - just the right amount for me to feel the burn the whole time, but still enjoy the flavours. Didn't quite get the full amount of cream, but that ended up being fine.

I've been using diced tomatoes, which has turned out nicely enough, but my wife isn't a fan of the skin bits - she thinks I should either peel or puree the tomatoes. I'll probably just end up getting a can of crushed next time and see what the difference ends up tasting like.

Lost the oil when removing the peppers and onions from the first step, not sure if that helped or hurt - on one hand, the diced onions were scorched a bit, I'm not sure how well I cooked the cumin (it just turns black and sticks to the pan, doesn't sputter like the recipe says), ginger garlic paste immediately partly stuck to the pan and burned (had to mix that in real quick), and some of the chicken stuck to the pan. On the other hand, the juices from the chicken cooking while covered soaked up a hell of a lot more flavour (although I think that's at least in part because I didn't open the lid and let them evaporate this time :v:).

Despite the missteps, still a solid recommendation.

The other problem with diced tomatoes is that they add extra water. I've been processing garden tomatoes lately and the pot will be clear half way down once they begin to properly stew.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I made an Indonesian style chicken curry last night. Broke out the ol mortar and pestle for the spice paste. I'm real bad at taking pictures but it tasted pretty good! Loosely followed this recipe: http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/padang-style-chicken-curry-gulai-ayam

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 3, 2017

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

ChickenWing posted:

Hot tip on this, picked up from Jamie Oliver (I know, but he does good stuff too): anyway, he pointed out that you're best using whole tomatoes in a can, as the producers have to select the best ones for them. They put all the rest into the cans of chopped tomatoes, which might be one reason why your recipe turns out watery.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is a mussaman curry going to require fresh spices or is there a good paste for it? I love that stuff, I can't believe I hadn't tried it before this year.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mae Ploy brand curry paste has never let me down. In a pinch, Cock will do.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

In a pinch, Cock will do.
applies to a surprising amount of situations too

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Frazzbo posted:

Hot tip on this, picked up from Jamie Oliver (I know, but he does good stuff too): anyway, he pointed out that you're best using whole tomatoes in a can, as the producers have to select the best ones for them. They put all the rest into the cans of chopped tomatoes, which might be one reason why your recipe turns out watery.

Oh neat ok.

I was dicing fresh tomatoes because I'm masochistic (and also diced don't break down as nicely, allegedly because ~chemicals~).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I made chickpea and spinach curry last night.

It was good, but gods was it less than mild in terms of heat.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

ChickenWing posted:

Oh neat ok.

I was dicing fresh tomatoes because I'm masochistic (and also diced don't break down as nicely, allegedly because ~chemicals~).

Calcium chloride. If you find a brand that doesn't have it, you'll be fine.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

dino. posted:

Calcium chloride. If you find a brand that doesn't have it, you'll be fine.

I also find with Indian it’s worth spending bit more for good canned tomatoes - DOP Italian tomatoes for instance taste better to me than regular supermarket canned, and don’t have Calcium Chloride to boot.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been known to take an immersion blender to my tomatoes if I was only able to find the ones with calcium chloride.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
...and then you discover you got the kind with basil.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Anyone got a good butter chicken recipe? It's been a while and I'm craving some.

Also, I do have decent heat tolerance.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

...and then you discover you got the kind with basil.

Honestly, basil isn't going to hurt anything in Indian cooking. Basil's origin is from Indian tulsi anyway, so it's not like you're doing much of a reach there.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

iospace posted:

Anyone got a good butter chicken recipe? It's been a while and I'm craving some.

I like this one from the GWS wiki.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

iospace posted:

This one is good, but time intensive.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jul/10/gymkhana-chicken-butter-masala-recipe

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

just made some daal.

Tastes good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can I get away with not using an immersion blender? I want to make chicken saag, but I don't wanna spend $20~$30 on something I don't really use otherwise.