Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

silvergoose posted:

Other than dishes involving paneer, aloo gobi is probably my favorite vegetarian dish out there.

Powerfully same.

Actually, I'd love it if anyone had a proven recipe they could link. Haven't tried it homemade yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

ChickenWing posted:

Powerfully same.

Actually, I'd love it if anyone had a proven recipe they could link. Haven't tried it homemade yet.

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/aloo-gobi-curry-recipe/

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

wicked, thanks

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Anyone have a recipe or quick write-up for rice?

I've done the toast coriander bit of clove style before.. I've got a 14lb Costco bag of rice I need to start using.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've done the toast coriander bit of clove style before.. I've got a 14lb Costco bag of rice I need to start using.

This has been my go-to for years https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14130/jeera-cumin-rice/

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

Dino alert
Maybe saffron rice? A great classic. Add fresh fava and dill for Persian charm

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Rinse rice in plenty of changes of water until the water runs clear. Soak in plenty of water for about 15 minutes. Easy mode is pasta method. Hard mode is pilaf method. Both are valid.

Pasta method: bring a large pot of water to a full rushing boil. Salt generously. Dump in rinsed and drained rice. Allow to boil for like 8 minutes, and begin testing the rice. You want it soft on the outside and still firm on the inside. Drain off the water in a colander, but not until bone dry.

Add a bit of oil to the pot, and drop down the heat to as low as it’ll go. Add the drained (but still wet) rice back to the pot, and slam on the lid. Let it sit over the lowest heat for 10 minutes. Remove from stove and let sit an additional 5 minutes. Done.

Pilaf method: generously oil a pot and heat over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the rice (don’t bother rinsing or soaking), and toast over medium heat. Stir gently, and cook until the translucent grains turn opaque and white. Add a generous bit of salt. For however much rice you started with, add an equal amount of water. The water should immediately come to a boil. If it doesn’t, crank the heat to high.

When the water boils, drop down the heat to a bare bare simmer. Lay a towel over top of the pot. Slam on the lid. Let it cook for 9 minutes, and then turn off the heat. Let it sit for 12 minutes. If you have an electric stove, let it sit for 8.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Tubi has this cool show called The Bombay Chef with a likeable host and short little videos.

Anyone tried the recipes?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Does anyone have any experience in Chennai? Specifically, by the US Embassy? BF's going to be stuck there for a week doing visa poo poo, he's kinda down on the whole situation and thinks it's going to suck. Anything cool to do or can't miss restaurants over there?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Go to Mambalam and get dosa. He will be fine.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Does anyone have any experience in Chennai? Specifically, by the US Embassy? BF's going to be stuck there for a week doing visa poo poo, he's kinda down on the whole situation and thinks it's going to suck. Anything cool to do or can't miss restaurants over there?

I was there for a few days and so didn't get to explore much but there are cool things to see there and experience. Just do some googling. Plus whatever dino said is likely great advice. :)

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
it seems like whenever i think of "classic" indian recipes i cant think of any where noodles are a thing? would i be committing some kind of food crime if i made tikka masala sauce and then just poured it over some penne?? does anyone have suggestions for dishes/recipes that combine some form of pasta/noodles with indian/pakistani/nepalese foods?

Kanine fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 4, 2019

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Kanine posted:

it seems like whenever i think of "classic" indian recipes i cant think of any where noodles are a thing? would i be committing some kind of food crime if i made tikka masala sauce and then just poured it over some penne?? does anyone have suggestions for dishes/recipes that combine some form of pasta/noodles with indian/pakistani/nepalese foods?

You can get some Maggi noodles, that’s basically Indian ramen.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 6, 2019

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Vermicelli is used to make vermicelli upma, and Indian Chinese food uses noodles in dishes like hakka noodles and chow mein. Aside from that I don't think there are a lot of Indian noodle recipes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
It's always amazing to me that India never developed much variety of cheese or pasta.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's always amazing to me that India never developed much variety of cheese or pasta.

what about paneer tho?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kanine posted:

what about paneer tho?

Cheese isn't common in India because cattle are sacred and most people are lactose intolerant. Paneer is made without rennet. Obviously someone please correct me this is just what I learned when I was there years ago. India was so cool

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Kanine posted:

what about paneer tho?

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Cheese isn't common in India because cattle are sacred and most people are lactose intolerant. Paneer is made without rennet. Obviously someone please correct me this is just what I learned when I was there years ago. India was so cool

Paneer is an acid fixed cheese. But there have been known sources of vegetable rennet since at least the ancient Greeks. With so much milk, it's just weird that none of it ever accidentally cheesed

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 5, 2019

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Suspect Bucket posted:

Paneer is an acid fixed cheese. But there have been known sources of vegetable rennet since at least the ancient Greeks. With so much milk, it's just weird that none of it ever accidentally cheesed

well there's kalari, but generally speaking it's both harder and less rewarding to make cheese in those conditions. Do you want to eat some heavy-rear end mozzarella with the 120° sun beating down on you, surrounded by 8.2 trillion other humans?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

well there's kalari, but generally speaking it's both harder and less rewarding to make cheese in those conditions. Do you want to eat some heavy-rear end mozzarella with the 120° sun beating down on you, surrounded by 8.2 trillion other humans?

Mozzarella is from Southern Italy, and afaicr not very heavy. Weird post

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Do you want to eat some heavy-rear end mozzarella with the 120° sun beating down on you, surrounded by 8.2 trillion other humans?

That describes my last trip to Manhattan quite nicely.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Ras Het posted:

Mozzarella is from Southern Italy, and afaicr not very heavy. Weird post

Any cheese really is not a good hot weather food. Southern Italy weather is not comparable to most of India.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
is goat cheese very common in india?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've never seen it here. It exists - you can buy it at fancy grocery stores for instance - but it's not a food many people eat, as far as I can tell. The only popular cheese is paneer.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

I mean neither did China, Africa or pre-Columbian America as far as I know (okay China has noodles). Those things are both only normal because Europe.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

dino. posted:

This is the way to learn spices. Make dry roasted potatoes with one spice. Do it one potato at a time. First stop? Mustard seed. Pop mustard seed in hot oil. Add diced potato. Stir fry till cooked. Eat. Next, do just cumin. Next, do just coriander. Then, do mustard plus turmeric. Then do mustard plus cumin. Then do cumin plus coriander. Then do mustard, cumin, and turmeric. You see where I’m going?

These spices are second nature to me, because I’ve been cooking for well over 25 years now. I’ve done every combination I can think of. Potatoes are neutral enough that you can basically do any combo and it’ll prolly be tasty.

This post is from a while back but I just wanted to say thanks. This never would've occurred to me and my big stumbling block with Indian food in particular but also cooking in general is that I don't have a concept of how the flavours work together. It tastes right to me or it doesn't and I don't know how to adjust it, so I don't try. I just did a bit of this and it was really educational.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Trillian posted:

This post is from a while back but I just wanted to say thanks. This never would've occurred to me and my big stumbling block with Indian food in particular but also cooking in general is that I don't have a concept of how the flavours work together. It tastes right to me or it doesn't and I don't know how to adjust it, so I don't try. I just did a bit of this and it was really educational.

To be honest, most people try to dive into restaurant food, which is a bad idea. If I wanted to learn (for example) Italian food, I wouldn’t jump directly into a ragú bolognese. It’s not that the dish is hard to make. It’s pretty simple if you break it down. But I’m not doing myself any favours by doing something that calls for multiple ingredients to be simmered for hours.

I’d first take a crack at something simple: pasta aglio, olio, y pepperoncino. It’d teach me about cooking garlic over low enough heat that I don’t burn it. It’d let me learn to make pasta that perfect chew and bounce while still being cooked. It teaches me to toss the pasta with the oil and garlic and pepper flakes, and the pasta water, so that the whole thing clings to the pasta beautifully.

I’m now not angry that I wasted 5 hours of chopping and simmering and all kind of faff to end up with a mess. Walk before you run.

Similarly, restaurant food, especially northern Indian restaurant food, will be incredibly involved, because it’s based on festival dishes that work fine in a restaurant. At the restaurant, the cook has the ginger, garlic, and green chilies minced finely in bulk. His assistant chops mountains of onions. In the morning he grinds his spices to throw in, and he knows how much to add.

So he can knock up dish after dish with seeming ease, because all that tedious prep is done. Hell, even South Indians at home do this sort of thing. The housewife will have in her freezer grated coconut and curry leaves. She’ll have made these specific dishes so many times that she has a masala dabba just for those spices, so she’s not unscrewing jar after jar of spices.

For me, a simple dish is oil, mustard seed, cumin seed, urad daal, asafoetida, curry leaves, ginger, the ingredient I’m cooking, turmeric, salt, and black or red pepper to taste. The first three spices happen rapid fire from my masala dabba. The ginger I keep in my freezer already julienned. Curry leaves are in the freezer. Coconut is in the freezer, already grated.

If you haven’t done it before though, starting small not only acquaints you to the different flavours and textures that spices bring to the dish, but also gets you comfortable with cooking with spices in general. By the time you’ve made a circuit with the savoury spices in your kitchen, you know how they behave, and can start combining.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Anyone have experience keeping a curry leaf plant? I bough a couple of babies on ebay in the spring which are now well established little trees in pots. I'm in Virginia so I'll definitely need to move them in for the winter but I'm trying to figure out when to move them in, whether or not they'll lose their leaves if I move them in before the first frost and if I should harvest and freeze the leaves before that happens. There are a lot of vague and contradictory blogs on the subject.

If you use Curry leaves and don't have a plant, they're really easy, and they're practically succulents in terms of their watering/care requirements. You can forget about them for a week in full August sun in a pot with no dish under it and they'll be as happy as ever, even as your fenugreek and basil wither and die :saddowns:.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 2, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

poverty goat posted:

Anyone have experience keeping a curry leaf plant? I bough a couple of babies on ebay in the spring which are now well established little trees in pots. I'm in Virginia so I'll definitely need to move them in for the winter but I'm trying to figure out when to move them in, whether or not they'll lose their leaves if I move them in before the first frost and if I should harvest and freeze the leaves before that happens. There are a lot of vague and contradictory blogs on the subject.

If you use Curry leaves and don't have a plant, they're really easy, and they're practically succulents in terms of their watering/care requirements. You can forget about them for a week in full August sun in a pot with no dish under it and they'll be as happy as ever, even as your fenugreek and basil wither and die :saddowns:.

Damnit, see plant: want plant! No experience with one yet but I'm gonna have to get one asap they sound awesome

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I'd get my green thumb mother to grow me some curry plants and fenugreek but she doesn't like my curry :smith:

Oh well more goat massamun for me.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I'm moving into a place where I can keep a garden for the first time in many years, so I am definitely getting curry plants ASAP. Maybe just one.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Curry leaves need a buttload of light, and plenty of warm weather. We had huge trees in south Florida. To be honest, bring them in before it drops below South Florida autumn weather. No, srsly. Especially if you haven’t had them through a winter yet.

If you’re growing them in pots, get a way bigger pot than you think you’ll need. Like, ludicrously big. Their roots go really deep, and wide. You don’t want them to feel hemmed in. Give them space, and the plants will grow big and strong. Keep them in small pots, and they’ll stay puny and sad.

Curry leaves make babies themselves. If you’re growing in a pot, do an abortion because you want the main plant to thrive without sharing nutrients with the little wretches. Or, transplant them to a different pot and grow some to give away.

Aside from that, they’re pretty low drama.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

By curry leaves you mean...? I can think of a dozen different plants that you put in curry, none of which are called "curry", and Fenugreek is just about the only one that uses the leaves as an ingredient.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Infinite Karma posted:

By curry leaves you mean...? I can think of a dozen different plants that you put in curry, none of which are called "curry", and Fenugreek is just about the only one that uses the leaves as an ingredient.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_tree

See those giant plants they picture there? Those are the trees from my parents’ house. My ex husband uploaded the photos when he was down there with me. It’s a specific plant.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Curry leaves. That's what they're called. Kari patta. They are rounded leaves with a slight point to them. They're essential in Southern Indian cuisines.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Force de Fappe posted:

Curry leaves. That's what they're called. Kari patta. They are rounded leaves with a slight point to them. They're essential in Southern Indian cuisines.

They show up a lot in central Indian food too. The northerners don’t use it /as/ much, but if they have easy/cheap access to it, they’ll use it for sure.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Well look at that, I learned something new. Thanks goons!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This whole "what is a curry leaf" thing reminds me that I've kind of wanted to make a new OP for an Indian food thread for a while. The current one isn't too old but it's a little under-detailed (no information on curry leaves, for instance!) and no joke my biggest pet peeve is that the thread title is "The Indian/Curry Thread" which is basically like having the "Korean/Sushi thread" or something, and also it plays up the stereotype that all Indian food is spicy, which I think is kind of a pain in the rear end because it fucks with people's expectations. Plus now that I live in India I've run into some foods I hadn't really eaten or even heard of before, like all sorts of soya stuff and papad mangodi ki sabzi so it'd be cool to highlight some of that in the OP. But, a new OP would mean we lose all the pages in this one. Any thoughts?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This whole "what is a curry leaf" thing reminds me that I've kind of wanted to make a new OP for an Indian food thread for a while. The current one isn't too old but it's a little under-detailed (no information on curry leaves, for instance!) and no joke my biggest pet peeve is that the thread title is "The Indian/Curry Thread" which is basically like having the "Korean/Sushi thread" or something, and also it plays up the stereotype that all Indian food is spicy, which I think is kind of a pain in the rear end because it fucks with people's expectations. Plus now that I live in India I've run into some foods I hadn't really eaten or even heard of before, like all sorts of soya stuff and papad mangodi ki sabzi so it'd be cool to highlight some of that in the OP. But, a new OP would mean we lose all the pages in this one. Any thoughts?

The Indian Food Megathread Two: Indianer Jones

with a link to the previous thread at the top of the op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

New thread would be fine.

.... but would you be making the "Indian Cooking Thread" or the "Curry Thread"?

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 4, 2019