Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Yes. You can use a regular blender, or you can just not blend it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
On the other hand, immersion blenders are incredibly handy for lots of things, and I bought mine for $12. Whenever I need to blend soup, whip cream, make mayonnaise/hollandaise, blend tomato sauce, even things like blending raw onions with poppyseeds, cashew chunks, and almond slivers for cooking with later. Just little things that a full sized blender would be too big or inconvenient for. Cleanup takes seconds.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah immersion blenders are super handy and if you make many soups or sauces they're a great little tool.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

either an immersion blender or a mortar and pestle if you hate your hands.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

So I made Goan pork Vindaloo last night. really can't recommend it enough for a warm winter meal over some fluffy basmati.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Spuckuk posted:

So I made Goan pork Vindaloo last night. really can't recommend it enough for a warm winter meal over some fluffy basmati.

Recipe??

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Does anyone have a go to recipe for naan? I've tried a few recipes but haven't been really happy with any of them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tried to make keema matar in the Instant Pot tonight and I think the can of diced tomatoes I used had sugar in them or something, cause there's this strange, slightly sweet aftertaste to it. :gonk:

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

FireTora posted:

Does anyone have a go to recipe for naan? I've tried a few recipes but haven't been really happy with any of them.

Proper naan needs a tandoori, but since I don't have one, somehow, I like this version. Little fluffier than proper restaurant naan, but absorbs sauces very well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGaHDE_tTik

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Can someone recommend a nice coconut chicken curry recipe?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm taking advantage of the long weekend to make some really high effort indian. Made my own ghee (no biggie) chutney (slightly bigger biggie) and home made naan with freshly ground flour (yup) to go with some noice slow cooked mustard greens saag.

So one part of this process is chutney from a recipe. The recipe called for a bunch of reconstituted chilies and was asking to deseed them. My reaction was basically :smug: "pussies"

I just tasted it and holy poo poo this is going to need to be handled with care.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm taking advantage of the long weekend to make some really high effort indian. Made my own ghee (no biggie) chutney (slightly bigger biggie) and home made naan with freshly ground flour (yup) to go with some noice slow cooked mustard greens saag.

So one part of this process is chutney from a recipe. The recipe called for a bunch of reconstituted chilies and was asking to deseed them. My reaction was basically :smug: "pussies"

I just tasted it and holy poo poo this is going to need to be handled with care.

By handled with care, do you mean "the next morning is going to suck"?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

By handled with care, do you mean "the next morning is going to suck"?

I mean wash your hands before going to the bathroom.

Turned out pretty great.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008
Got a lentil question. I'm making Dal Makhani for the first time, and I have two kinds of pulses to choose from, don't know which to use. One is called "Black Matpe Beans"/ "urad dal" which are oval shaped with a white mark on the skin. I also have "beluga lentils", which are solid black and lens-shaped like true lentils.

General Internet search suggests the former are the ones to use, but what's the difference? That's a question I'm having trouble answering.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If I can trust wikipedia, beluga lentils are actual lentils, while urad are in fact a bean generally called a lentil in English. This whole business with the names of various beans and lentils has tripped me up more than once. I generally rely on the original name these days.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ayem posted:

Got a lentil question. I'm making Dal Makhani for the first time, and I have two kinds of pulses to choose from, don't know which to use. One is called "Black Matpe Beans"/ "urad dal" which are oval shaped with a white mark on the skin. I also have "beluga lentils", which are solid black and lens-shaped like true lentils.

General Internet search suggests the former are the ones to use, but what's the difference? That's a question I'm having trouble answering.
You want whole urad dal. Whole urad dal are black which is what it sounds like you've got, although I'm a little confused, because there is also split urad dal, which are white.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You want whole urad dal. Whole urad dal are black which is what it sounds like you've got, although I'm a little confused, because there is also split urad dal, which are white.

The inside of the ural dal are white. Thanks!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can't stop watching videos of street food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeiVkyCX0jo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0DI_9rqUOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFASSclhZEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqqLioOA7C4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyWu-TagfGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjC7-DhOcUc

That last one almost seems like something I could make.

I made chicken saag a couple weeks ago, from some soup I got as part of a rather disappointing Indian delivery. My process was something like this:

- Chop the poo poo out of some frozen spinach with an immersion blender, set aside
- Chop the poo poo out of a whole white onion, sautee in oil
- Add about 1 teaspoon each of garam masala, cumin, turmeric, and coriander and let temper in the oil alongside onions, mix well
- Once the onions and spices were well gravy-fied, dice up two deboned deskinned chicken thighs
- Add the spinach, chicken, and leftover soup to the mixture (not sure what was in the soup, but I know it at least had black mustard seed - it was super spicy) and stir well
- Cook down to preferred thickness, I prefer mine thick over thin
- Season well and serve alongside lovely grocery store naan

It was really, really loving tasty. I don't know how much of that was the soup, but it seems like the idea of "fry up onions -> fry up spices -> make onion-spice gravy" is working well as a base.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 10, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

those videos are soul nourishing, wow

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That egg curry, man. I gotta make that. And the little scrambled egg sandwiches look better than any McMuffin money can buy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So I tried making chicken saag again, without the spicy soup takeout as a base this time - and the ground spices I used are kinda...grainy? Did I use too many spices?

I also can't quite get the right heat I like from Indian food. Maybe I need to use chopped chili peppers...

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Pollyanna posted:

So I tried making chicken saag again, without the spicy soup takeout as a base this time - and the ground spices I used are kinda...grainy? Did I use too many spices?

I also can't quite get the right heat I like from Indian food. Maybe I need to use chopped chili peppers...

I went to an Indian cookery class and a great tip for adjustable spice was to get some oil nice and hot, pop mustard seeds in it, and add finely chopped green chilli (they should be basically a paste). Turn the heat off and let the chillis fry in the residual heat. You can then add this to your food if you like it spicier, whereas others eating can have the less spiced version.

But yes, use some fresh green chilli for sure. Remember that the earlier you add it in cooking, the milder it will be by the end.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I’m trying to impress a romantic partner by cooking them Thai Pumpkin Curry. The place they loved getting it from was Thai X-ing in Washington, DC, if anyone is familiar with that. Does anyone have Ana amazing vegetarian recipe for Thai Pumpkin Curry?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I've just seen this post months later, eep! I'll dig up the recipe for you ASAP

edit: Here it is https://www.harighotra.co.uk/indian-recipes/courses/mains/pork-vindaloo Personally I like the potatoes in there as well.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 22, 2018

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fr0id posted:

I’m trying to impress a romantic partner by cooking them Thai Pumpkin Curry. The place they loved getting it from was Thai X-ing in Washington, DC, if anyone is familiar with that. Does anyone have Ana amazing vegetarian recipe for Thai Pumpkin Curry?

Oh god, I love Thai X-ing - used to live a ten-minute walk from the original one on Florida Ave. Let me dig around and see if I can find a version of it.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
I don't have much experience with Indian cuisine. I've had some chicken tikka masala as takeout with friends in the past when i'm hanging out in nyc. But this last weekend since I'm dying to do anything productive since I've been injured the past 6 weeks, I decided to make butter chicken for the family. I used the New York Times recipe, which I know isn't 100% authentic, but it looked like a good place to start. And let me tell you it was loving amazing. I dialed down the heat by half otherwise no one would have eaten it but me even though it's not at all spicy or hot at all but everyone's a pansy... And I wish I took pictures of the cooking because it would have been fun but I'm such a lurker I didn't even think of it and I was so in the moment (and then afterwards I watched 100 foot journey, cute movie). Served with basmati rice cooked in chicken broth and naan on the side. Without question the best meal I've ever prepared and I am so sad that I ate the last of the leftovers tonight because I really want more. But I definitely want to explore more Indian cuisine because I had no idea it could be this amazing and be as palatable to my picky family.

I got a flat out rejection on eating goat. gently caress that... you won't know it's goat like you didn't know I fed you buffalo that you loved

Qubee
May 31, 2013

In fairness, goat has a very distinctive flavour, I personally don't like it.

as for other recipes, lamb rogan josh is pretty amazing. I've also been loving keema too, it's so simple to make but tastes incredible and really makes huge portions with barely any effort.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Yeah goat is a little gamey and also it for some reason is usually served with bones, in my experience. IMO It's hard to appreciate the world's general ignorance of bland beef (especially ground) until you have allowed for some other flavors on your palate though.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
Heh I wasn't running out to get goat. Hell I don't even know where I'd be able to get goat in my area.
But I can get lamb easy enough and I've been eyeing some rogan josh recipes for a while now. Has to be tasty, it has my name in it!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SeaWolf posted:

Heh I wasn't running out to get goat. Hell I don't even know where I'd be able to get goat in my area.
But I can get lamb easy enough and I've been eyeing some rogan josh recipes for a while now. Has to be tasty, it has my name in it!

You're Joe Rogan?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FireTora posted:

If you're looking for naan like you'd get in a restaurant, I'm afraid the first step is going to be 'make yourself a tandoor'. Making it at home just won't be the same (still good though!). What don't you like about the recipes you've tried?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

my mum used to make chapati at home and it was really good (imo), but I was 10-14 years old so I can't remember if it was as amazing as I think it was. not as thick or chewy as naan, but it had the same taste and was super simple to make.

she'd buy the chapati flour and have chapati's flying out the kitchen in about 30 minutes, she'd just fry them in a pan. potentially worth thinking about if naan doesn't turn out very nice if you don't have an official tandoor.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chapati and paratha are the best. Way better than naan.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Gimme a nice fluffy chapati any day, naan is nice but the layers, man. I'm a sucker for lamination.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

SeaWolf posted:

Honestly for most Indian recipes Lamb is probably right.

I'd highly recommend checking out some Goan fish curry and Vindaloo recipes though, especially if you've only tried the generally lackluster restaurant versions.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

goan fish curry will forever change your life and raise your standards for flavour and yumminess of food, full stop.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

feedmegin posted:

If you're looking for naan like you'd get in a restaurant, I'm afraid the first step is going to be 'make yourself a tandoor'. Making it at home just won't be the same (still good though!). What don't you like about the recipes you've tried?

This is true but I find a really hot cast iron pan can make serviceable naan. Chapati is delicious and if you want to stray roti canai is the croissant of rotis.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I bought a pan that is perfect for naan. I wonder what its original purpose was, but the size and shape are amazing. Pretty thick too, which in this case is a good thing. https://imgur.com/a/g69KG

$5 at the thrift store - that's a fair price.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I bought a pan that is perfect for naan. I wonder what its original purpose was, but the size and shape are amazing. Pretty thick too, which in this case is a good thing. https://imgur.com/a/g69KG

$5 at the thrift store - that's a fair price.

Looks like a sizzle pan for serving fajitas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Or a crepe pan

E: oh it's oblong. Thought it was tilted oblique to the camera. ^^^ that makes more sense

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 13, 2018