Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the/is there a difference between paratha and chiapatis? I have had both which seemed like the same thing, and I buy them at the local indian grocer from the frozen section.

They're like a greasier, more flour-tortilla version of naan. I love them.

Also the ones with potato (aloo) and spices in them are to die for.

I used to make indian-ish food for my vegan ex all the drat time but I never make it anymore, but reading this thread makes me want to go home and cook.

I also love that rice cooked with coconut milk, raisins, nuts, and cardamom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hed posted:

One of my favorite Indian restaurants calls the dish "Chicken Tikka Masala", which when translating isn't that helpful.

Is this Velvet Butter Chicken?

Many places have both butter chicken (murgh makhni) and chicken tikka masala on the menu

What's the difference? gently caress if I know. I usually prefer butter chicken but they are usually similar. Tomato and cream sauce with spices and chunks of chicken.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think it's like $2-2.50/13.5oz can here.

Would Costco have it in huge containers too?
I can find it for $1 can here

But they have the half gallons for like $3

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mike Danger posted:

This is probably a heretical question but: are there any brands of prepackaged naan to look for? Every one I've tried from a store has been really "bready".

The mass-market Naan in the bakery aisle are terrible.

However, if you can find the frozen Paratha/Roti/Chiapatis they are delicious

If you have a local Indian or Arab grocer they might have fresh stuff too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a standard way to thicken a curry? I used 1 can coconut milk, 1 can vegetable broth, would have liked it a little thicker. More coconut milk? Add something like cornstarch?

Came out a hair under-seasoned but I hadn't made it in forever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Infinite Karma posted:

If you don't use broth, you won't get such a thin curry in the first place. Chopped/pureed veggies instead of vegetable broth works better for all the types I've ever made.

There's a diced onion and tomato in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Warmed it up at work in the microwave even added a little water) and the consistency was perfect today