Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
This thread got me googling and thinking about curry,
haven't had a lot of luck with that: loads of recipes around that make a great spice blend and paste...and then dump in 400 mL of coconut milk so the curry tastes bland.

Anyway, I had a lazy afternoon yesterday and came accross this recipe that uses a jar (blasphemy, right? oh well...)
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/775646/vegetable-curry-for-a-crowd

I skipped the coconut milk, used chicken broth instead, half the tomato passata and instead of courgette, I added red lentils to thicken the sauce.
Oh, and I swapped the tikka masala paste for vindaloo paste, as the jars said that was spicier.

Anyway, even though I probably broke every curry rule, I got to say I never made a curry this tasty...the house still smells great.
So I'm going to share it without shame! :-D

The original recipe asked for a big potato, a small butternut squash and an eggplant, cubed and tossed with 2 tablespoons of oil and two tablespoons of curry paste,
and that went into the oven:

In the pan, two big sliced onions, 4 tablespoons of vindaloo curry paste, half a cup of red lentils, 2 sliced red cayenne peppers, 400 mL tomato passata and 500 mL chicken broth.
The vegetables from the oven where added after half an hour and I cooked it until everything was done to my liking.

Served it with a mango pickle (yup, from a jar, sorry) and naan bread.

It ended up being a fragrant curry with a nice warm heat. And even though I like it a lot, I do like it hotter...not so much more of this paste, but I need something else in addition to this....a faster heat (and a real heat).

any suggestions on how to accomplish this are welcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Illinois Smith posted:

Stop buying pastes and stuff for your next three curries, use the money you would've spent on them to go to an Indian grocer and pick up a spice starter kit (cumin seed, black pepper seed, coriander powder and seeds, turmeric powder, Indian chili powder that is just peppers, maybe some asafoetida, fresh ginger) then make a simple curry by frying these in oil and adding either water or coconut and some vegetables. If it's not spicy enough with the amount of liquid you added, use more spices next time or cook it down more.

Seriously, try it the next three times you want curry, it'll not take more than that to get it right. Once you have a feel for these, start experimenting with other spices or blends of them.

Oke, will do

I did try this before and i have all this stuff around all the time, except for the Indian chili powder, I guess....(I used cayenne peppers for this)
It's just that it always ends up tasting bland. perhaps I shouldn't add coconut oil or liquid at all, ha!

But yeah, I'll give it another go, thanks!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Crusty Nutsack posted:

SALT. Did you salt it enough? Even though there's a bunch of spices, you still need salt. That jar you used has shittons of salt in it. Also, you may have needed to use more spices. Adding liquid shouldn't matter if it's properly seasoned.

Good one! And then I remembered that I wrote it down and put it online one of the times, so I checked it: I did add salt. It was also saved by more than
150 people in the mean time, and the comments are people telling they made it, loved it and will be making it again.....:-/ Maybe I'm just weird.

Still, I'll try it again and go for a serious amount of Indian chili powder (with enough salt added).

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Ranter posted:

I'm asking for dishes/recipes that I might try making myself that fall into the category I outlined (not authentic but still tasty to Western people). I'm hoping some English goons can chime in. Tikka Masala made its way over the other side of the pond, but are there others? What are they called? I want to try them perhaps.

You still need English people for the answer, but perhaps this is a nice read while you wait for them to show up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Indian_cuisine