Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

There was been a thing going around on veg-Facebook about these frozen veggie samosas that you can buy at the dollar store. I just ate a whole package, and they are pretty goddamned amazing!
Tasty, with lots of whole seeds, just about the right size (I don't like when they are HUGE), and they crisp up nicely in the oven.

Pollyanna posted:

Are mustard seeds a necessity in cabbage bhaji? I had it just now at an Indian buffet and I wanna try making it myself, but I don't have the seeds.

It's more of a regional thing: in some parts of India, they put mustard seeds in pretty much everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

I'm far from vegan/vegetarian so a book with that focus is only going to be marginally useful to me. Thanks.

I totally disagree. If anything, cooking meat is EASIER then cooking veg.

Learning to cook DIno's way will teach you the important techniques, and how to use the spices. Learn to cook some dal first, and then some chana masala. The latter doesn't have to be vegan, many variations contain yogurt or cream.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

In my pile of random crap in the basement, I have pan with that exact shape, except it's heavy aluminum. Plain anodized surface, no non-stick. No idea what its for, or where it came from.

dino. posted:

If I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times: make daal tarka. It's such a mind-numbingly simple recipe (cook lentils, fry spices in fat--usually just some cumin seed--dump atop lentils, salt to taste, eat) but it showcases the heart of Indian food. That is, humble ingredients elevated to their best form through the clever use of spices. The Northern curries are great, but I feel like they rely a bit too heavily on cream and butter to get there. You throw enough butter at anything, and it's going to be good. The central and southern Indian vegetable dishes I feel like are fairly easy to make, but really let the ingredients stand on their own. Or, why not both? Do a complex, multi step, 30 - 40 spices needed curry, but serve it with a really simple side dish or two.

Seriously though, however you slice it, Indian food is endlessly fascinating and fun to learn to make. :)

I'm consistently shocked by how many white people in the Boston area are scared of Indian food and refuse to try it. I just don't get it, we have some of the best Indian restaurants and markets in the whole USA. We have such good options!

An Indian friend of mine told me this story: she travels to India 2-3 times a year for business, and her grandmother was always sending her a list of spices and dry goods to bring back. She hated this, as it interfered with getting work done. Finally, when Apna Bazar opened in Norwood, she took her grandmother there, and that was the end of bringing stuff back from India. Her grandmother agreed that the selection, prices, and freshness was actually better then most of what she used to source from the India.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Boston white guy eating Indian food checking in. Do you have any recommendations for markets? I've been hitting up Shalimar in Central Sq. and some random shops in the suburbs when I run out of hing or whatever. Most frustrating: I can never find fresh curry leaves in any major grocery stores.

Also: Punjabi dhaba is clearly the best.

The problem is, most of my suggestions are South Shore based, I haven't lived in Boston for a long time.

That said, Punjabi Dhaba is good, and very consistent. If you want sit down Punjabi cuisine, I would suggest Punjab Cafe in Arlington:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/punjab-arlington-2

There is a market next to H Mart in Central Square, but I haven't shopped there... If I'm in that neighborhood, I'm there to shop at H Mart.

Here are the two Indian markets that I like best:

South Shore India in Braintree
https://www.yelp.com/biz/south-shore-india-market-braintree
Produce quality varies, but they have a good selection. They have a full Halal meat counter in back, and a deli counter with hot food.

Apna Bazar in Norwood
https://www.yelp.com/biz/apna-bazar-norwood
Can be a little pricey, but you can't beat the selection. Everything you could ever want.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yup, red food coloring. I once saw into the kitchen at one of my favorite Indian joints, and they had shelf with GALLONS of red food coloring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

For dosa, I want to have a smooth batter like a pancake batter.

Lovely, smelly, rotten pancake batter. :haw:

Ever since I discovered premade dosa batter in the fridge at my favorite Indian market, I haven't made my own batter once.