Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

paraquat posted:

You still need English people for the answer, but perhaps this is a nice read while you wait for them to show up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Indian_cuisine

Hmm that wiki isn't quite accurate, I think. To me Anglo-Indian food in that sense is 19th century fusion cooking, not something actually claiming to be Indian that isn't - basically cooks in India adapting their food for their British employers (and then those employers bringing it back to the UK where it got made by white people). Mulligatawny soup is readily available canned over here and pretty tasty. Kedgeree you don't exactly see often any more.

For something more in the modern tikka masala vein, try looking up baltis - http://matthewocallaghan.co.uk/history-of-the-birmingham-balti/

Edit: phaal is basically 'make standard British restaurant curry sauce, then add an absolute poo poo ton of hot peppers to it'. It's kind of a macho thing. Oh, and as for that standard curry sauce -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002S0KC1M/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FireTora posted:

Does anyone have a go to recipe for naan? I've tried a few recipes but haven't been really happy with any of them.

If you're looking for naan like you'd get in a restaurant, I'm afraid the first step is going to be 'make yourself a tandoor'. Making it at home just won't be the same (still good though!). What don't you like about the recipes you've tried?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

empty sea posted:

e: I once had a fantastic sweet and sour, almost spicy chutney that I've never had since. It was reddish? I want to say mango?

Might be tamarind?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kanine posted:

im trying to slowly introduce my white boomer parents to indian food. what's a good place to start with stuff that won't be too scary for them? im thinking samosas?

The traditional British non-scary Indian dish is chicken tikka masala. Which is of course hideously inauthentic, but I believe butter chicken is an actual Indian thing and somewhat similar?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's always amazing to me that India never developed much variety of cheese or pasta.

I mean neither did China, Africa or pre-Columbian America as far as I know (okay China has noodles). Those things are both only normal because Europe.