Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

I made curry tonight. Nice and spicy the way I love it. I can post my general recipe if anyone's interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

For curry like in the picture I posted above prepare:

1 medium onion, chopped finely.
1 decent sized tin of tomato puree(you could use fresh or more chunky tins, but they're a pain to work with in my experience and I don't like hunks of tomato)
1 knob of ginger about the size of a man's 2 large fingers pushed together, pounded into a paste.
4 cloves of garlic, or enough to match the knob of ginger, also pounded into a paste with the ginger together.
1 tin coconut milk
1 container of whatever chicken stock you can find. I had homemade but store stuff works.
6 nice looking Habanero peppers, minced up.
Few chicken breast. Thighs work wonderfully too. Cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes, give or take a tiny bit.
Optional: Peel 3 potatoes. cut into same size as chicken.

Spices:
1 stick cinnamon
3 green cardamom seeds.
4-5 whole cloves.
Pinch of mustard seeds.
1 tsp ground fenugreek seeds
2 Tbsp ground coriander powder
2 Tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp garam masala
2 Tbsp hot chili powder. I only had cayenne on hand but anything works long as it has heat. I prefer ground ghost chili personally.
1 Tbsp hot pepper flakes.
Salt to taste

Get oil nice and hot in the pan and add the whole spices, stir for a few moments, then add the onions till they start to look a bit chocolately on the edges. Add the ginger garlic paste and peppers and fry off the raw flavor. I'm not exactly sure how long it takes since I just go off smell/feel, but maybe 4 minutes if you're cooking on a medium flame? Add all the ground spices at once and constant mix to prevent burning, also adding splashes of chicken stock to keep it a little wet. After the spices are fried, add the tin of tomatoes and mix it thoroughly and let them cook, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. After tomatoes are ready(if you use diced, you want them to have basically broken down into a sauce), toss in the chicken(and potato if using), mix very thoroughly, cover, and let simmer until chicken(and potato if using) are almost cooked. Might be odd to some to toss chicken in raw, but I've had no issues with it. Anyways, when just about done, add some chicken stock to give some liquid, get it back up to a simmer, add the can of coconut milk, stir in, and let it simmer for another few minutes, adjust for seasoning(or more spice), add coriander leaves if you desire, and serve with basmati rice, or if you're a schmuck like me, Penne pasta.

This is meant to be a spicy curry if you couldn't tell. :) A good way to warm up on a fall night.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

greats posted:

also that curry looks more like soup to me... if i'm having curry with meat i can't have it in such an overwhelming amount of sauce, plus too much tomatoes will ruin the flavor

That batch was decently thicker than the picture lets on, bout the same consistency you'd get at any restaurant, though sometimes it's thinner(and a lot of videos I see tend to look really thin). Liquid there was like, equal parts chicken stock, tomatoes and coconut milk.

I'll definitely try doing the powdered stuff towards in the middle/end though. Most of what I learned was from either people like VahChef or just touch n going between batches. :v: