Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

ChickenWing posted:

Someone critique this chicken tikka masala recipe for me. I combined this recipe with this recipe based on some recommendations I had regarding the first recipe. Pardon the formatting, the instructions are basically copied wholesale and Jamie Oliver's recipes come off a little ponce-y to me.

3-4 Chicken Breasts.
1/2c Plain Yogurt
2 tbsp Butter
28 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 Large Onion
4 Cloves of Garlic
fresh Ginger (1 x 2-inch chunk)
Cumin
1-2 Chili Peppers
olive oil
1 level tablespoon ground coriander
2 level teaspoons turmeric
3 level tablespoon garam masala
1c chicken stock

1. We’ll get started by seasoning our chicken breasts with some salt, Cumin and Coriander
2. coat the seasoned chicken breasts with some plain yogurt.
4. Once the chicken breasts are coated with the yogurt thoroughly, transfer them to our baking sheet. I really like to use a foil-lined baking sheet with a metal cooling rack over it. This makes for less surface contact on the chicken and helps it to cook more evenly.
5. Slide the chicken in under the broiler for 5-7 minutes and then flip the chicken over and broil for another 5-7 minutes. The chicken should be about 10-12 inches from the broiler.
6. Chicken should come out looking a little burnt

For the sauce,
1. peel the onions and garlic, then finely slice with the red chillies. grate or finely dice the ginger
2. Put it all into a large casserole pan on a medium-high heat with a lug of oil and 2tbsp butter and cook for around 20 minutes, or until golden, stirring regularly. Add water when necessary to prevent burning.
3. Add the ground coriander, turmeric and remaining 1 heaped teaspoon each of paprika and garam masala.
4. Cook for 2 minutes
5. Pour in the tomatoes and chicken stock
6. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, then season to perfection.
7. Chop the chicken into bite-sized chunks and add to sauce
8. Serve with naan bread over rice

I made it tonight and it was very tasty, although it would probably have benefitted from a can of crushed tomatoes for some extra sauce.

- Large chicken breasts might work, but I prefer to marinade smaller pieces overnight - although the marinade won't penetrate the meat too much, a larger surface area allows for more flavor.
- As for spices, my Indian cooking guru told me to start with them - ginger/garlic, koriander, tumeric. Garam masala only ever at the end, in small quantities - that's not supposed to cook.
- use fresh tomato, not canned. Unless I'm mistaken, canned tomato inhibits breaking - and you want to melt the tomato and the onion away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU