Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I don't think there's a better thread for this right now, so here goes:

What's the secret to great chicken satay? (Like the kind you might order in a Thai restaurant)

I tried this recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/90294/thai-chicken-satay/ as it was the highest-rated I could find. I added some lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil (very little), and chile oil as a commenter had suggested. I noticed the curry powder (Spice Islands brand) had a difficult time integrating into the coconut milk. Even when I blended it, there was still a good deal of sediment at the bottom when I poured it over the chicken.

I marinated the chicken for a good three hours (even though the recipe suggested 2 hours max). Does something funky happen with coconut milk-based marinades if you leave it too long?

I skipped the skewers and cooked the strips on a hot (skipping water droplets) griddle for about 3-5 minutes per side. There was some color and grill marks, but nothing beautiful. The color was very disappointing - not the vibrant yellow you expect in satay. Just a mildly yellow beige. Is it possible that without the high heat of a true grill, the color and flavor just don't develop properly?

I didn't tell my family what it was and just served it to them with a peanut sauce and steamed vegetables. They thought it was great, but I know it was a far cry from chicken satay.

Anyone have any ideas on how to improve the procedure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU