Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I just use this recipe, with no sugar and half the cream

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/chicken-tikka-masala-by-pastor-ryan/

It's pretty dang tasty, although I've been told that there's a number of modifications I should make to make it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Someone critique this chicken tikka masala recipe for me. I combined this recipe with this recipe based on some recommendations I had regarding the first recipe. Pardon the formatting, the instructions are basically copied wholesale and Jamie Oliver's recipes come off a little ponce-y to me.

3-4 Chicken Breasts.
1/2c Plain Yogurt
2 tbsp Butter
28 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 Large Onion
4 Cloves of Garlic
fresh Ginger (1 x 2-inch chunk)
Cumin
1-2 Chili Peppers
olive oil
1 level tablespoon ground coriander
2 level teaspoons turmeric
3 level tablespoon garam masala
1c chicken stock

1. We’ll get started by seasoning our chicken breasts with some salt, Cumin and Coriander
2. coat the seasoned chicken breasts with some plain yogurt.
4. Once the chicken breasts are coated with the yogurt thoroughly, transfer them to our baking sheet. I really like to use a foil-lined baking sheet with a metal cooling rack over it. This makes for less surface contact on the chicken and helps it to cook more evenly.
5. Slide the chicken in under the broiler for 5-7 minutes and then flip the chicken over and broil for another 5-7 minutes. The chicken should be about 10-12 inches from the broiler.
6. Chicken should come out looking a little burnt

For the sauce,
1. peel the onions and garlic, then finely slice with the red chillies. grate or finely dice the ginger
2. Put it all into a large casserole pan on a medium-high heat with a lug of oil and 2tbsp butter and cook for around 20 minutes, or until golden, stirring regularly. Add water when necessary to prevent burning.
3. Add the ground coriander, turmeric and remaining 1 heaped teaspoon each of paprika and garam masala.
4. Cook for 2 minutes
5. Pour in the tomatoes and chicken stock
6. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, then season to perfection.
7. Chop the chicken into bite-sized chunks and add to sauce
8. Serve with naan bread over rice

I made it tonight and it was very tasty, although it would probably have benefitted from a can of crushed tomatoes for some extra sauce.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

reduce with the lid off for a while. If you're feeling lazy, add some flour/water slurry for a quicker but less tasty thicken.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Made this on the weekend (doubled, because it's a teensy tiny amount of food and I love leftovers): https://indianhealthyrecipes.com/kadai-chicken/

Despite me doubling the recipe, then promptly forgetting to double some key ingredients (had to add a second bit of cumin and garlic ginger paste late, so they didn't fry/mix as nicely, completely forgot to double the tomatoes and broken chili), it turned out really well. I'm gonna make it again this week - hopefully, with the right amounts of ingredients :cripes:

Any recommendations for other changes I might make?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ChickenWing posted:

Made this on the weekend (doubled, because it's a teensy tiny amount of food and I love leftovers): https://indianhealthyrecipes.com/kadai-chicken/

Despite me doubling the recipe, then promptly forgetting to double some key ingredients (had to add a second bit of cumin and garlic ginger paste late, so they didn't fry/mix as nicely, completely forgot to double the tomatoes and broken chili), it turned out really well. I'm gonna make it again this week - hopefully, with the right amounts of ingredients :cripes:

Any recommendations for other changes I might make?

Trip report, part two: doubled the recipe correctly this time. Added 50% more tomatoes and an extra chili, used cayenne chili powder instead of generic chili powder. Heat level was excellent - just the right amount for me to feel the burn the whole time, but still enjoy the flavours. Didn't quite get the full amount of cream, but that ended up being fine.

I've been using diced tomatoes, which has turned out nicely enough, but my wife isn't a fan of the skin bits - she thinks I should either peel or puree the tomatoes. I'll probably just end up getting a can of crushed next time and see what the difference ends up tasting like.

Lost the oil when removing the peppers and onions from the first step, not sure if that helped or hurt - on one hand, the diced onions were scorched a bit, I'm not sure how well I cooked the cumin (it just turns black and sticks to the pan, doesn't sputter like the recipe says), ginger garlic paste immediately partly stuck to the pan and burned (had to mix that in real quick), and some of the chicken stuck to the pan. On the other hand, the juices from the chicken cooking while covered soaked up a hell of a lot more flavour (although I think that's at least in part because I didn't open the lid and let them evaporate this time :v:).

Despite the missteps, still a solid recommendation.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Frazzbo posted:

Hot tip on this, picked up from Jamie Oliver (I know, but he does good stuff too): anyway, he pointed out that you're best using whole tomatoes in a can, as the producers have to select the best ones for them. They put all the rest into the cans of chopped tomatoes, which might be one reason why your recipe turns out watery.

Oh neat ok.

I was dicing fresh tomatoes because I'm masochistic (and also diced don't break down as nicely, allegedly because ~chemicals~).

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Yeah immersion blenders are super handy and if you make many soups or sauces they're a great little tool.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

dino. posted:

Unless you’ve got a very good spice purveyor, you won’t find Kashmiri saffron. It’s heart stoppingly expensive. If you can get Iranian saffron, it’s really good stuff. But whatever you do, don’t get saffron from the grocery store. Get it from either a specialty spice seller, or an ethnic market.

you mean to tell me the three threads in the sealed plastic in the glass jar that have been sitting there for months because nobody is ever going to buy them aren't top quality? :aaa:

content: Anyone have a good recipe for a quick weeknight curry? I had a chicken tikka masala recipe I liked but I felt like it had to simmer for ages to get a decent flavour

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

pretend I live in a tiny condo and have minimal (no) additional appliance space

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Qubee posted:

PSA: don't cook meat straight out the fridge. I forgot it turns it to rubber, and my bolognese is tough and awful. quickly wanted to make dinner as it was getting late, didn't give the minced meat enough time to hit room temp.

PSA: this has been pretty roundly proven to be an old wives tale.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Aloo Gobi is also delicious, although my decidedly non-vegetarian programming is incapable of seeing it as anything other than a side

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Other than dishes involving paneer, aloo gobi is probably my favorite vegetarian dish out there.

Powerfully same.

Actually, I'd love it if anyone had a proven recipe they could link. Haven't tried it homemade yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

wicked, thanks