Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I cook those all the time and treat both the same, and in my experience it doesn't make much of a difference even in cooking time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yesterday I tried my hand at making samosas and it turned out to be incredibly easy, at least if you're not picky about getting the shape exactly right. I strongly recommend it. They're just as good as any I've ever had in a restaurant.

The only thing that didn't go to plan is that due to a slight miscalculation I made approximately 50 of them. It's just as well they turned out good cause that's lunch for the week sorted.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The thing with Tikka Masala is that it's not as such an Indian dish, but rather something Indians in the UK came up with. Basically tandoori chicken in what I'd very respectfully call "the generic British-Indian curry sauce." My approach to that is to brown some chopped onions, add some chopped garlic, stir in the freshly ground spices for a minute (cumin, coriander seeds, turmeric, chili; sometimes fenugreek seeds and/or cloves, sometimes not, I eyeball it), add tomatoes and let them cook down a bit, then finish with cream, or greek yogurt, or sometimes coconut milk.

Honestly, I don't think there's any shame in using a paste from a jar, Patak's or something, where this dish is concerned.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just chuck 'em in raw, and 30 minutes is a bit much if anything. I usually cut them in roughly 1 inch cubes and they take 10-15 minutes to cook.

Red curry as in Thai? Sweet potatoes are fantastic in that. Or in Indian curry, for that matter.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Would a Thai paste suit that recipe? And is the paste cheap?
Thai curry paste is quite cheap, yes. For around 3 € I can get a big tub of it that lasts for many meals. You might have to look for an Asian grocery; Mae Ploy and Cock are good brands.

I'm not sure it suits your recipe as is, but on the other hand, Thai curry can be made quite quickly and with little effort in bulk. At the most basic level, it's just curry paste fried in oil (protip: use the solid fat from a can of coconut milk that's been standing for a while), with coconut milk added to make a sauce, and whatever ingredients you like cooked in the sauce. As an easy "lunch for the next three days" meal that's perfectly sufficient, and you can change it up by using different colored curry pastes.

Also, you might want to look into lentil dishes. Those little guys are incredibly cheap and bulk up a meal like you wouldn't believe.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

The problem I've always had with coconut milk isn't blending the flesh smooth, it's getting the drat stuff out of the coconut. How do you easily and quickly separate the white flesh from the brown rind?
Vegetable peeler. Unless you mean out of the hard husk in which case, a sturdy knife that you wiggle inbetween and sort of lever the flesh out. It helps to score the flesh crosswise from the inside. And then a vegetable peeler.

Thai curry pro tip: use coconut milk without additives, and let the can stand for a while. Spoon off the semi-solid fat from the top and use that to fry the curry paste. Ideally you heat the coconut fat until the clear fat separates but that might not work with commercial product.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mae Ploy brand curry paste has never let me down. In a pinch, Cock will do.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

In a pinch, Cock will do.
applies to a surprising amount of situations too

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been known to take an immersion blender to my tomatoes if I was only able to find the ones with calcium chloride.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If I can trust wikipedia, beluga lentils are actual lentils, while urad are in fact a bean generally called a lentil in English. This whole business with the names of various beans and lentils has tripped me up more than once. I generally rely on the original name these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pretty sure a bunch of restaurants just use food colouring. It definitely is a thing with tandoori chicken.