Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, I found Chaokoh finally. Unfortunately it's $2.20 per can. On the bright side, I found a store brand that's $1.50. How bad is it that its ingredients are coconut extract, water, guar gum? I'll probably spring for the better stuff next time, but I can't afford it right now.

How much milk and paste should I use if I'm using two pounds of chicken, 2 of potatoes, 1 of carrots, and 2 bell peppers?

You might consider substituting almond or cashew milk for coconut milk. It tends to be both cheaper and fresher in the US and serves about the same purpose. I use it in my Thai curries and it tastes a lot better than the canned coconut milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I might give that a shot next time. My wife loves almond milk, so we always have it. Does it need to be any sort of special almond milk or just the stuff next to the normal milk in the dairy section?

That's the stuff, just make sure it's unsweetened.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

ekeog posted:

It's a lot cheaper because it's heavily watered down to have a similar consistency to milk you'd drink. Also guar gum/stabilized coconut milk isn't the worst and is better than that alternative.

If price is the big issue I'd reduce the amount of meat I was using and still use nice coconut milk, I think it's such a core element of the flavor profile that spending ~$5 on two cans is worth it. Your more veggie-heavy curry will taste a lot better overall.

I wasn't sure about the coconut milk in that section, I think it has to be about the same thing as the cans. You should really give almond milk a try if you haven't. It has a lot of the fresh fruity nutty flavor that fresh coconut milk has. I personally prefer it over the canned coconut milk but to each his own.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I've got a bunch of Indian recipes that generically call for "dried chilies" (like that helps me much). I've had pretty bad luck buying random bags from the grocery store, most being pretty tasteless or devoid of spice entirely. Say for example I have a Vindaloo recipe that calls for "20 dried chilies", can anyone recommend for me what I should be looking for? Or some I could pick up from amazon that would taste good?

Alternatively, should I just substitute some chili powder instead?

I'm still just getting started with Indian cooking so I'm trying to figure out how to manage all these different spices and how much to get or how long they keep etc.

What kind of ethnic markets do you have around you? That's usually the best place to find spices. Buying from Amazon is going to be a crapshoot because you have no idea how long it's been sitting on a shelf.

If you don't have an Indian market maybe you have a Mexican market or a Chinese market? Chiles de árbol are going to be pretty close to dried Indian Chilies, Thai birds eye chilies and the Korean and Chinese dried chilies will probably be farther off but acceptable.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

We've got lots of ethnic markets around here but I haven't had a chance to stop in at an Indian one yet. I'm not sure what varieties of Indian chilies I should be looking for specifically though, once I get out to one.

Definitely check it out, the prices on spices will be shockingly tiny. The long, thin red chilies are the ones that you're looking for. The fatter Kashmiri chilies are milder and smokier in flavor. They're also tasty and get used in other Indian recipes but the long thin ones are the right kind for Vindaloo.

If you're dead set on buying online this is the right kind:
https://www.amazon.com/Swad-Chillies-3-5oz-Indian-Groceries/dp/B00BLBJOO0

Leviathan Song fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 2, 2018