Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The curry I make is probably awful, but I like it, it's easy, and at least it's better than the recipe I started with.

If you want to put potatoes in a curry, how do you prepare them before you toss them in? Do I need to boil them first, or can I just simmer them in the tomatoes as I do that for ~30 minutes?

Would sweet potatoes go well in a red curry, or should I stick with normal potatoes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Off the top of my head, onion, bell pepper, chicken breast, salt, cayenne, garlic (I use powder because I usually do it after work and want to get it over with), curry powder, tomatoes, full fat coconut milk. I want to add more veggies to bulk it out some more.

The cookbook didn't have red pepper or vegetables and barely any curry powder. It also had lamb meatballs rather than chicken chunks, but I'm not rich like the author, who put a dish costing about$20 in a book where the title included frugal. It was about the most white person curry you could make without using ketchup, sugar, or ranch. No spice at all and there was still more than a pint of sauce left over after all the chicken was gone.

This is my busy, tired, but need to cook and I might as well cook for the next few days recipe. This batch has lasted maybe three dinners for 2 and two lunches for one, and could probably give me another dinner at least.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How long does crushing spices take? TBH I don't even own a mortar and pestle.

Would a Thai paste suit that recipe? And is the paste cheap?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That Thai curry description sounds delicious, and I like curry from Thai restaurants. It sounds like it's cheaper than the powder as well. I'll go look for some cock at the Asian Market.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is an Asian market likely to have cheaper coconut milk than a supermarket? I want to make some That curry, but coconut milk is pretty expensive IIRC.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think it's like $2-2.50/13.5oz can here.

Would Costco have it in huge containers too? I try to make a double batch whenever I make curry, since it scales easily. I'm also interested in the Thai yellow curry because a local English style gastropub makes a really good yellow chicken curry with carrots, potatoes, and maybe bell peppers. I'd love to be able to replicate that in an 8-10 meal batch for the same price as one plate there.

I'll look for an Asian market near where I'm moving, I would have to drive across town for the one I live by now. That one also is just packaged stuff, no cheap meat.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I found an Asian market within 2.5 miles of my new place, so I'll check that out.

Dones anyone have a recommended recipe for a vegetarian dish aside from saag paneer? I liked the little bit I tried, but I think that it would be too much spinach if I had it for an entire meal.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Good idea with letting the milk separate. I know one brand did that, I forget which. The people at the market would probably know.

I see paneer only lasts maybe 2 days. If I cook a curry with it, will the heat make it last longer?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I finally went to that Asian grocery store. It's basically a third of a gas station, but it's got chaokon for $2 and it's got a 400g tub of yellow curry paste for $4. I got one of both. I'm going to make that crappy curry recipe one last time to finish off the curry powder and the giant can of crushed tomatoes I have, then I'm going to start trying to make a good yellow curry.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 2, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I want to make Kheer. Does anyone have a good recipe for that?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I found Chaokoh finally. Unfortunately it's $2.20 per can. On the bright side, I found a store brand that's $1.50. How bad is it that its ingredients are coconut extract, water, guar gum? I'll probably spring for the better stuff next time, but I can't afford it right now.

How much milk and paste should I use if I'm using two pounds of chicken, 2 of potatoes, 1 of carrots, and 2 bell peppers?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I might give that a shot next time. My wife loves almond milk, so we always have it. Does it need to be any sort of special almond milk or just the stuff next to the normal milk in the dairy section?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In that case, could I use the coconut milk in that same section? That's well under half the price of the cheap full-faced canned stuff, and pretty much the same as almond milk.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I made the curry with the guar-stabilized milk. It had still separated, so I got to use all of that cream to fry up the paste nicely. I had it for dinner last night, brunch, late lunch, and dinner today. Tomorrow I'm having it again at work, my wife is having it for lunch, we're probably having it for dinner, and then we'll still probably have enough for another day. All this out of a $15 recipe, plus however much all of the rice we're making is. I'd probably make some potato soup tomorrow night just to shake things up if I actually liked cooking.

The curry paste really is amazing. It makes everything taste way better than powder, while being a little cheaper. I was kind of surprised that the recipe called for sugar, but it actually works.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there any sort of curry to make with spaghetti squash? I've got one
I need to use, and my wife doesn't like it used as a pasta substitute. I'm just feeling like it would be weird considering its tendency to go into strands.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That noodle curry sounds pretty good.

Unfortunately after having so much Thai curry over the past few months, she nixed any curry. Unrelated to squash, is the consistency of dal a regional thing? She was raised Bahai, and she mentioned a week or so ago that she misses the dal she had at feasts. It would be whatever variation is made in Iran.

Also I'm going to have to try making it with split peas rather than lentils, because she's apparently slightly allergic to beans.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have a good Panang curry recipe? I couldn't find yellow curry paste, and I like peanuty curries so I figured it was worth a shot. I assume it's not just "take yellow curry recipe, use Panang curry paste."

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is a mussaman curry going to require fresh spices or is there a good paste for it? I love that stuff, I can't believe I hadn't tried it before this year.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is the dal recipe in the OP going to be more of a soup or thicker curry texture? My wife is Baha’i and at their feasts there would always be dal. I want to try making it, but she said it was the thicker kind and I want to make sure I get it right.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ah, okay. I guess it will be trial and error then. Her family stopped going a long time ago and she's not Persian herself so she doesn't have a family recipe or anything. I'll find a recipe that's noted as a Persian style and hope that it's close.

Thankfully we have a couple pretty decent Asian markets for a town our size that have a ton of whole spices, more obscure prices, and ghee that doesn't cost $Whole Foods. We've also got a Sprouts nearby that has bulk lentils.

Does this recipe look like it would be suitable for a spice wimp? https://turmericsaffron.blogspot.com/2010/11/dal-adas-southern-iranian-style-red.html

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 22, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Huh, interesting.

I bought maybe a half pint of ghee for $7 yesterday anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Double posting because I live on the edge and follow my own rules.

My wife made it a couple nights ago. Fantastic even though she forgot the onion. I think she cut the red pepper in half, which is fine by me. I could take it hotter, but even medium salsa is too much for her so we make food for the weakest tongue.