Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Invisible Ted posted:

Was recently browsing the GWS wiki

:aaa:

Invisible Ted posted:

Indian section

:aaaaa:

Invisible Ted posted:

and came across Adai.

:hawaaaafap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Ranter posted:

I'm asking for dishes/recipes that I might try making myself that fall into the category I outlined (not authentic but still tasty to Western people). I'm hoping some English goons can chime in. Tikka Masala made its way over the other side of the pond, but are there others? What are they called? I want to try them perhaps.

You might also try Japanese Curry, since I believe it's fairly distinct from traditional Indian curries. One of my favorite recipes is a take on the curry the Japanese Navy serves every Friday. :3:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

That looks super tasty, and I am very jealous.

I actually just found out about a food truck a couple towns over run by an Indian gentlemen, "Tandoori Dish". I'm hoping to give it a try the next time I can get a free weekend!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I dunno about the vinegar, but I think it's a combination of two and three. Eggplant is hard to caramelize because it has so much water inside it. By letting it sit in the salt and cooking it once, you dried it out considerably, which (I believe) is what allowed it to caramelize on the second cook. The vinegar may have played a part in this as well, I don't actually cook with eggplant much so I don't know if acidic compounds can help break down sugars in it, or assist in drying it out, or whatever.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Helith posted:

Would you like a vindaloo recipe? Of course you would!

Hey, guess what? You are my new favorite person :stwoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If you have a Vitamix or other high-speed blender, you can make your own coconut milk easily enough. Even a regular Osterizer or whatever will make passable coconut milk, but you aren't going to get the completely smooth texture unless you use only the youngest, most tender coconuts. Depending on coconut prices it can end up cheaper to make your own, but usually it's cheaper to buy it.

The problem I've always had with coconut milk isn't blending the flesh smooth, it's getting the drat stuff out of the coconut. How do you easily and quickly separate the white flesh from the brown rind?