Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

dino. posted:

Calcium chloride. If you find a brand that doesn't have it, you'll be fine.

I also find with Indian it’s worth spending bit more for good canned tomatoes - DOP Italian tomatoes for instance taste better to me than regular supermarket canned, and don’t have Calcium Chloride to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

feedmegin posted:

If you're looking for naan like you'd get in a restaurant, I'm afraid the first step is going to be 'make yourself a tandoor'. Making it at home just won't be the same (still good though!). What don't you like about the recipes you've tried?

This is true but I find a really hot cast iron pan can make serviceable naan. Chapati is delicious and if you want to stray roti canai is the croissant of rotis.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Bollock Monkey posted:

Here in the UK at least I'd say vindaloo and phaal are pretty well guaranteed to be uncomfortably hot for most people. They seem to be made for people to order when they want to prove how hard they are.

Yeah that’s a UK thing though, vindaloo elsewhere can be really hot but doesn’t have to be, it’s the vinegar that gives it a signature taste. That said I had some hot as gently caress vindaloos in Britain.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

empty sea posted:

I've been eating Indian recently and as I've branched out from tikka marsala and korma, I've found out that lamb achari is loving amazing. I live near a international market where I can easily get lamb or goat, but would I just have to look for pickling spices? There's obviously a ton of stuff there but I don't know what to get to make a fantastic spicy, sour achari.

Also, any other recommendations to order would be great. I like the heat and sour as well as sweet, I once made a very good mango chicken curry. Alas, I was drunk and randomly tossing in things so I doubt I could recreate it.

e: I once had a fantastic sweet and sour, almost spicy chutney that I've never had since. It was reddish? I want to say mango?

Was it chunky? Or smooth? If the former there’s a bunch of styles of pickled onions that might fit the bill.