Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Yes, Paneer is easy to make. And fun and hella tasty! It's a bit fiddly once you first get into it, but the time invested is well worth it, and then you can also make other simple fresh cheeses with the same skills and formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CommonShore posted:

Have a recipe or article to share? I'm going to make some on my next free weekend.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-paneer-cheese-in-30-minutes-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-57008

Make sure you read and familiarize yourself with the directions before starting! Oh, and there is one part of it that's BS, the temperature. You do NOT need to heat the milk to 200f. 165 is my target temperature. 200f gets you scalded milk and a mess.

DO NOT USE UHT MILK. UHT is nearly impossible to curdle. This means you cant use some of the widely available organic milks like Horizon and Organic Valley. Check your labels.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dread Head posted:

Has anyone had any decent results making naan bread at home? I have tried a few recipes/methods but it never really comes close to stuff from a proper tandoor oven.

My mom does the dough in the bread maker and fries it up one at a time on the stove top. Turns out pretty good, but I have little legit naan experience.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Yo, so I'm dating a Kerala guy. He's very into eating everything, no qualms about beef or pork products. He's a total macho-man about spice and heat, cant faze the guy. What's a fun bread, cracker or cookie type thing I could make for him to snack on that he might appreciate? I know he'd like anything I made, fallback is just make oatmeal dried fruit cookies, but I want to try branching out into indian food more than chicken tika and butter chicken.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My boyfriend had me try Paan last night and my mouth still tastes like rosewater soap and cumin. At least my teeth arn't red any more though.

But we did go to a Bawarchi Biryanis, which was pretty darn good! Got the Mysore Masala Dosa and Chicken Biryani.

Blut blegh, Paan is not for me.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 8, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Double posting because I live on the edge and follow my own rules.

My wife made it a couple nights ago. Fantastic even though she forgot the onion. I think she cut the red pepper in half, which is fine by me. I could take it hotter, but even medium salsa is too much for her so we make food for the weakest tongue.

Sounds good! You definitely want some onion in there though. Very important. People in India literally riot when onions are threatened.

If you want an easy way to add heat without messing too bad with flavor for the individual pallete, get some chilli oil and drop on to your liking.

I'm gonna try again to make Boyfriend Dal this week. He makes the bast drat Dal I've ever tasted, and I just can't get the trick of it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
We usually just ask for extra chilies or chili oil on the side.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Does anyone have any experience in Chennai? Specifically, by the US Embassy? BF's going to be stuck there for a week doing visa poo poo, he's kinda down on the whole situation and thinks it's going to suck. Anything cool to do or can't miss restaurants over there?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
It's always amazing to me that India never developed much variety of cheese or pasta.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Kanine posted:

what about paneer tho?

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Cheese isn't common in India because cattle are sacred and most people are lactose intolerant. Paneer is made without rennet. Obviously someone please correct me this is just what I learned when I was there years ago. India was so cool

Paneer is an acid fixed cheese. But there have been known sources of vegetable rennet since at least the ancient Greeks. With so much milk, it's just weird that none of it ever accidentally cheesed

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 5, 2019

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Do you want to eat some heavy-rear end mozzarella with the 120° sun beating down on you, surrounded by 8.2 trillion other humans?

That describes my last trip to Manhattan quite nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Gravy and curry and used pretty interchangeably in my house now. What is sauce? Just another kind of gravy, apparently.