Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

dino. posted:

Get to an Asian grocery store to find cheap coconut milk. Best brand that I've found is Chaokoh, and I can find it at the Asian store for between $1 - $1.50 a can. I like Arroy-D also, but only their coconut cream sold in a tetra pack in the 2 litre size. That one should run you about $3.50 or so. Thai Kitchen brand is lovely, but horrendously overpriced. For a solid all-purpose coconut milk, get yourself the Chaokoh. Every Thai person I know swears by that brand.

Definitely get Chaokoh. It's not homogenized/stabilized either and will pretty reliably be separated, unlike a lot of the brands in generic western grocery stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

In that case, could I use the coconut milk in that same section? That's well under half the price of the cheap full-faced canned stuff, and pretty much the same as almond milk.

It's a lot cheaper because it's heavily watered down to have a similar consistency to milk you'd drink. Also guar gum/stabilized coconut milk isn't the worst and is better than that alternative.

If price is the big issue I'd reduce the amount of meat I was using and still use nice coconut milk, I think it's such a core element of the flavor profile that spending ~$5 on two cans is worth it. Your more veggie-heavy curry will taste a lot better overall.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mikedawson posted:

Also, this is embarrassing to admit, but certain hot things (e.g. tobasco sauce, cayenne pepper, sriracha) cause me to get the hiccups. With that in mind, would I be fine with a hot curry?

You're going to be hard pressed to find a hot curry that doesn't rely on hot chiles similar to the ones that make up those sauces and powders