Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

MrSlam posted:

I just had a thought. What if one made paneer with coconut milk and seasoned it with turmeric, paprika, and cumin?

Can you even make paneer from coconut milk? Does the whey separate in the presence of coagulants like in dairy milk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

CommonShore posted:

Can coconut milk curdle that way? I don't think it can...

For Tamarind I did some poking around and it seems to me that it gets used quite frequently wherever "sour" is needed. TBH it's not my favourite flavour. It looks like it gets used in Pad Thai sometimes, and that actually has me interested.

If you want other souring agents used in Indian cuisine, try amchur or anardana. Kokum is also delicious and quite sour.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I think of lentils as belonging to two broad categories of hulled and unhulled.

Hulled lentils have had the exterior removed. These are the standard dry red lentils that we know and love:

I use these for things like dal. They tend to become a sludge or mush when cooked. Health-wise, they lower in fibre than unhulled lentils.

Unhulled lentils are a bit less processed:

The green lentils that we get from cans are of this sort. There are plenty of different kinds. They're more useful for dishes in which you want to maintain the lentil's structural integrity rather than have the lentil become a homogeneous mush.

Try making some dal! Here's a recipe that also includes tamarind. I'm not sure what they mean by "drumsticks." In the picture it looks like okra (bindi), and okra owns, so I'm just going to imagine that it's okra:

http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/Recipe/Dal-with-Drumsticks.html

(e. I looked it up and "drumstick" is not okra. It's its own thing.)

This one looks ok, too:
http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/dal-tadka-recipe-homestyle/

When I make dal at home I just kinda slap stuff in. Usually it'll look something like this, which is totally off the top of my head and not at all planned:
1.5 cup red lentil
0.5 cup brown lentil (for texture)
sufficient water/stock to cover (add more as it cooks to get the texture you want).
1 diced onion
1 chopped tomato
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp whole mustard seed
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp fenugreek
zest and juice of one lemon
1/2 cup coriander leaves
salt to taste.

I'm pretty sure that last time I made dal I also threw in a bunch of spinach, just to use it up. I've also been served dal with yam in it.

That is a very good, simple dal. I have a weakness for moong and urad dal, personally - I often do 1/2 moong, 1/2 toor, and a handful of urad (very strong, delicious flavor). Loads of ginger, a tarka poured in at the end, and some amchur to finish.

Oh, and I recommend sourcing fresh curry leaves if at all possible. What you're looking for is Murraya koenigii, also known as sweet neem or karipatta.

E: oh and fenugreek seeds have a wholly different flavor from leaves. I have both in my pantry, and recommend that you do as well.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 30, 2016

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

One thing that'll improve your Indian curries is to stop using curry powder. Instead, use whole spices and powdered spices to make the flavor profile you're looking for. That also lowers the cost quite a bit - and whole spices last nearly forever without losing flavor, unlike powder.

Besides, "curry powder" is basically turmeric, cumin, coriander, and mustard seed. Mainly turmeric and cumin.

Nobody has time to make Thai curry paste from scratch, and many people can't get the necessary ingredients, so feel free to use a paste.

Japanese curry is a pretty simple flavor profile - basically make a cardamom- and fennel-heavy Indian masala and you've got it. Grated apples++

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Cuisinart makes a grinder specifically for spices, but I just use whatever coffee grinder is cheap whenever the last one breaks. Pulse, don't whizz.

I also use a mortar and pestle sometimes. For smaller amounts it's easier with a mortar, but large quantities take forever if you don't enlist the aid of electricity.

I don't ever buy powdered spices, though (including turmeric, which I buy fresh and dry at home) so I probably get more use from my spice grinder than most people.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is an Asian market likely to have cheaper coconut milk than a supermarket? I want to make some That curry, but coconut milk is pretty expensive IIRC.

Usually, yes, and sometimes you can buy big containers for even more savings.

If you have a Vitamix or other high-speed blender, you can make your own coconut milk easily enough. Even a regular Osterizer or whatever will make passable coconut milk, but you aren't going to get the completely smooth texture unless you use only the youngest, most tender coconuts. Depending on coconut prices it can end up cheaper to make your own, but usually it's cheaper to buy it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think it's like $2-2.50/13.5oz can here.

Would Costco have it in huge containers too? I try to make a double batch whenever I make curry, since it scales easily. I'm also interested in the Thai yellow curry because a local English style gastropub makes a really good yellow chicken curry with carrots, potatoes, and maybe bell peppers. I'd love to be able to replicate that in an 8-10 meal batch for the same price as one plate there.

I'll look for an Asian market near where I'm moving, I would have to drive across town for the one I live by now. That one also is just packaged stuff, no cheap meat.

Around here the Costco coconut milk is about that price, but only sold in 12-packs (of 13.5oz cans). That said, it is uncommonly high quality, very coconutty and clean-tasting (my sister shops at Costco religiously, so I've had the chance to try it).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

greats posted:

tonight i made pressure cooker lamb curry based on vahchef's video recipe here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfAq4KRIVs4

i own this pressure cooker, here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000Z6JIW

today i learned that western pressure cookers have a different timing method than indian pressure cookers.

Indian pressure cookers have a whistle that goes off to indicate the pressure is at the desired level. Indian recipes will usually prescribe a number of whistles to let you know how long you should cook for.

Western pressure cookers do not have a whistle. Instead of whistling, there's a spring loaded stopper that will pop up once you reach pressure. You can also see that you've reached a higher level of pressure once the steam release gauge begins to release a constant stream of steam. If i want to cook under a lower pressure i reduce heat immediately after the stopper comes up, for high heat i wait for the stream of steam first.

The general consensus i found online is that there is no consistent conversion you can use to go from whistles -> time under pressure. Reason being is that indian pressure cookers will whistle different amounts, so depending on who you ask, you would get a different answer anyway. The best advice seems to be lowball the estimated time, and re-apply pressure as needed (the first time).

I wound up needing to cook for 10 minutes, then 5, then 5 more. All under high pressure. A total of 20 minutes under high pressure.

This is my first time using my pressure cooker for an indian recipe and my estimation was for 8 minutes and it was way too low. Anyone else familiar with this stuff? taking like 20 extra minutes to constantly re-apply pressure every time you make a new pressure cooker recipe is worth it in the long run, but still a hassle.

Over time and with experience you'll gain an idea of what sort of result you get from what time, and what ingredients need to cook for how long. There's no straight conversion, but as long as you enjoy the results, don't worry too much about it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Pureed or extremely finely minced onion can also act as a thickener. When in doubt, add onion.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I got the Dhillon book and immediately leveled up on my curry. I already premade bases but my stuff was too thick. Unfortunately, it does not have a Pav Bhaji recipe. Suggestions?

One complaint I have of the book is that the premade meat recipes are kind of crap. Thats where grilling yogurt-marinaded stuff would come to the rescue.

Go ahead and modify this recipe to your liking; pav bhaji is very flexible. It's a refrigerator magnet. I've made this recipe (well, different vegetables and quantities of vegetables but the same aromatics and spices) before and it was both easy and tasty.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

CommonShore posted:

To make my recipe like a... recipe instead of an ingredient list...

Fry spices in ghee
Add onions and other vegetables
Add stock
Add soaked lentils.
Add anything I forgot.

Boil until soup.

Yep, that works. Alternate method, especially useful if you want to make a big pot of dal and don't want to eat the same flavor profile every day:

Saute aromatics (onion, carrot) until aromatic.
Add ground spices and other volatile aromatics (garlic, ginger).
Add liquid.
Add soaked lentils.
Cook until done.

In separate pan:
Make a tarka by cracking whole spices in extremely hot oil or ghee, but don't burn them.
Pour tarka into your serving of dal. I pour through a strainer so there are no whole spices, because I am a baby who doesn't like picking cumin out of my teeth.

As far as dal goes, I like a mixture of mainly masoor and toor, with some urad and moong for earthiness and a very interesting flavor. Lobia, chori, and bengal gram are great to sub in, and chana if you want an interesting texture and that great buttery chickpea flavor. Buy a bunch of dal and experiment with different proportions.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

On the other hand, immersion blenders are incredibly handy for lots of things, and I bought mine for $12. Whenever I need to blend soup, whip cream, make mayonnaise/hollandaise, blend tomato sauce, even things like blending raw onions with poppyseeds, cashew chunks, and almond slivers for cooking with later. Just little things that a full sized blender would be too big or inconvenient for. Cleanup takes seconds.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

SeaWolf posted:

Heh I wasn't running out to get goat. Hell I don't even know where I'd be able to get goat in my area.
But I can get lamb easy enough and I've been eyeing some rogan josh recipes for a while now. Has to be tasty, it has my name in it!

You're Joe Rogan?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Gimme a nice fluffy chapati any day, naan is nice but the layers, man. I'm a sucker for lamination.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I bought a pan that is perfect for naan. I wonder what its original purpose was, but the size and shape are amazing. Pretty thick too, which in this case is a good thing. https://imgur.com/a/g69KG

$5 at the thrift store - that's a fair price.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Cloks posted:

Looks like a sizzle pan for serving fajitas.

That was my first thought, but it seems a little shallow for that to me. I don't have much experience with fajita pans, though.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Kashmiri mirch will make it a bit redder, and adding some turmeric will give you a nice golden hue. Or you can dehumanize yourself and face to food coloring.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Qubee posted:

PSA: don't cook meat straight out the fridge. I forgot it turns it to rubber, and my bolognese is tough and awful. quickly wanted to make dinner as it was getting late, didn't give the minced meat enough time to hit room temp.

counterpoint: you'd have to leave meat out for hours to bring it up to room temp, and cooking it from cold is perfectly fine. Also, why is this in the Indian food thread?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

virinvictus posted:

I have a large influx of Punjabi staff that recently started. Work in a professional kitchen. I want to surprise them with a home cooked meal. Any suggestions on what would be a big hit?

I don’t know if the fact that they’re Sikh matter much. Only a small handful are vegetarian.

Make something that means something to you. What's your favorite comfort food? What's the food that tastes like home, friends, and welcome to you?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

Paneer is an acid fixed cheese. But there have been known sources of vegetable rennet since at least the ancient Greeks. With so much milk, it's just weird that none of it ever accidentally cheesed

well there's kalari, but generally speaking it's both harder and less rewarding to make cheese in those conditions. Do you want to eat some heavy-rear end mozzarella with the 120° sun beating down on you, surrounded by 8.2 trillion other humans?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Ras Het posted:

Mozzarella is from Southern Italy, and afaicr not very heavy. Weird post

Any cheese really is not a good hot weather food. Southern Italy weather is not comparable to most of India.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I'm moving into a place where I can keep a garden for the first time in many years, so I am definitely getting curry plants ASAP. Maybe just one.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This whole "what is a curry leaf" thing reminds me that I've kind of wanted to make a new OP for an Indian food thread for a while. The current one isn't too old but it's a little under-detailed (no information on curry leaves, for instance!) and no joke my biggest pet peeve is that the thread title is "The Indian/Curry Thread" which is basically like having the "Korean/Sushi thread" or something, and also it plays up the stereotype that all Indian food is spicy, which I think is kind of a pain in the rear end because it fucks with people's expectations. Plus now that I live in India I've run into some foods I hadn't really eaten or even heard of before, like all sorts of soya stuff and papad mangodi ki sabzi so it'd be cool to highlight some of that in the OP. But, a new OP would mean we lose all the pages in this one. Any thoughts?

The Indian Food Megathread Two: Indianer Jones

with a link to the previous thread at the top of the op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

curry means so many things in so many cuisines that it effectively means nothing. they can be dry or wet, served over noodles or rice or with bread, spiced and flavored with many different things, they can even be dramatically different dishes to begin with: compare kare raisu to kua kling, both of which I've seen sold as curries on english menus. you may as well make a sandwich megathread.

indian cuisines are a big enough topic, why add more confusion by bringing "curry" into it?