Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm making some right now. I'm going to run it once through the food processor and then take the immersion blender to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Question for you about those things Dino -

I picked up some toor daal, and it was "oiled" - it was the only kind of toor the Indian grocer had. I looked it up and rinsed the ever loving snot out of it. Any comments on or tricks for the oily daal in adai?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I made some dino dosa batter this weekend. I used a 50-50 mix of brown rice and red cargo rice and it turned out quite ... nice!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dino. posted:

Gita's kitchen is loving legit. She's also freaking organised, and looking at her neatly arranged kitchen is so calming on so many levels. Her South Indian food is (IMO) a skosh more leaning towards Andhra/Karnataka than Tamil Nadu/Kerala. What does that mean? In random places, you'll find her using sugar/jaggery. Not a lot, like the loving gujjus, but a few pinches. Personally, I don't much care for that addition, but she generally says it's optional, which is cool by me.

... wtf when did Andhra split up. What is going on.

RE: Brown rice for dosa. I was on a weird health kick at one point, and made it with brown rice, and it came out fine. Until I realised that my dosa weren't coming out proper puffy because the proper rice to use for dosa is partially parboiled medium grain rice. Once I started subbing that in, it came out perfect.

I don't know if anyone is still editing the GWS Wiki, but perhaps you could add that note about the brown rice vs the parboiled rice. They're certainly tasty the way I made them!