Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Y-Hat posted:

Are there any good YouTube channels focused on Indian food? I'm already subscribed to Nisha Madhulika but it always helps to have more.
Manjula's Kitchen, definitely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?Manjulaskitchen?playlists

Also the South Indian Food thread from last year has like four pages of good advice for noobs from dino alone.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516815

CommonShore posted:

Most curries will begin by creating a Garam Masala and building the flavour from there.
Do you mean a tarka? Because a bunch of the Indian recipes I cook often don't use GM (and with most of the others it's more of a finishing / thickening thing that you put in towards the end) but the tarka part (where you start by frying a bunch of both whole and ground spices in oil) is pretty universal as far as I can tell.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Stop buying pastes and stuff for your next three curries, use the money you would've spent on them to go to an Indian grocer and pick up a spice starter kit (cumin seed, black pepper seed, coriander powder and seeds, turmeric powder, Indian chili powder that is just peppers, maybe some asafoetida, fresh ginger) then make a simple curry by frying these in oil and adding either water or coconut and some vegetables. If it's not spicy enough with the amount of liquid you added, use more spices next time or cook it down more.

Seriously, try it the next three times you want curry, it'll not take more than that to get it right. Once you have a feel for these, start experimenting with other spices or blends of them.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 4, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Maybe try something like this that doesn't use a lot of liquid first, that way you'll get a baseline spice-wise. Also, depending on what brand of cayenne you have, the stuff they sell at the Indian grocery (lal mirch) might be significantly hotter.
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/aloo-gobi/

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Oh yeah, I forgot. That's what ended up being wrong with my first few bland curries too. "There's so many spices in here, I'll just add a pinch." Nope.

If I can get my roommate to take pictures I'll do an aloo gobi post sometime this weekend, that's one of the few Indian dishes I feel comfortable doing without a recipe.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

The flavor won't be as strong. The idea is to get the fat soluble flavors out of the spices and into the oil, where they'll spread more easily through the whole thing instead of being trapped in the individual spices.
This is also why it's generally a bad idea to use olive oil like MrSlam did above, since it has a low smoke point and you want really hot oil for this (generally, throw a cumin seed in there, if it pops right away the oil is hot enough).

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 10, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

IMO the greatest bread is fried chapati aka puri:
if I'm gonna scoop my food up with something fried I prefer these

Yes, I know they don't technically count as bread.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

It kind of depends on what you're making. If you make something like this you'll want to boil them first, because that sauce doesn't need to simmer for half an hour. If you're making a dry curry without tons of gravy you're probably better off making the tarka, stir the raw potatoes around in it, add some water, put the lid on and steam them until they're done so they'll absorb more spices.

What's your Probably Awful Curry?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This is my busy, tired, but need to cook and I might as well cook for the next few days recipe.
Once you get the hang of how to throw some seeds and spices into the oil first, cooking real curry recipes will take you like two minutes more than what you're doing right now, tops. And it's gonna taste so much better than with limp-rear end grocery store curry powder.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

This. I keep pimping her aloo gobi recipe in these threads because it's the first Indian thing I learned to cook and it's my favorite, but she also has more potatoes + other veggies recipes that are great.

Also the obvious answer if saag paneer is too much spinach on its own is to combine it with some nice dal and maybe some raita on the side.