Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I finally tried out the Tandoori Chicken recipe from the Classic Indian Cooking book that you guys recommended in Dino's North Indian thread. I adopted it to kababs by just cubing the meat:

Served it up with some saffron basmati and then went impure with some pitas and fired vegetables because that's what I had. Delicious!

This was the first time I used a meat tenderizer that had Bromelain in it--now this is all from the book that claims tradition is to use green papayas to tenderize, then suggests a commercial tenderizer that purports to use papain. As you can see there isn't any papain in it! So my question is, what do you guys use? I got some generic brand that has the same ingredients as the link from the Indus foods store but it was either that or MSG.

Finally, now that I feel good about the Tandoori chicken, how can I go about making this sauce? One of my favorite Indian restaurants calls the dish "Chicken Tikka Masala", which when translating isn't that helpful.

Is this Velvet Butter Chicken? The next recipe in the book is that so I might just give it a whirl.
I would basically like to make the tandoori chicken again but when it suits me also have a side of this gravy/sauce to put the chicken in and eat. It tastes kind of tomatoey and I think has some garam masala in it.

This forum is awesome for Indian cooking and I really enjoy reading all of the discussion here and trying new things :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have a good Panang curry recipe? I couldn't find yellow curry paste, and I like peanuty curries so I figured it was worth a shot. I assume it's not just "take yellow curry recipe, use Panang curry paste."
This should be of interest:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792038&perpage=40