Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Try tasting as you go, adding more salt, taste again, add more salt etc. Just be careful doing this if there is still plenty of reduction to happen later because then it might become too salty.

A lot of home cooks would be surprised how much salt they should add to make their food taste more vibrant. My dad was a great cook when we were growing up, and we didn't eat out a ton, but my sibling became a chef and I took up cooking as a hobby and now dad's cooking can be bland for our tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Aside from Tikka Masala, are there any other British inventions attributed as Indian but not technically authentic that people really like eating? Wondering if there's other dishes I'm not getting access to in the USA. Tikka Masala is the only thing I know of.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Are you saying your Indian restaurants don't have chicken tikka masala? Because pretty much every one I know of here (WI) does.

I'm asking for dishes/recipes that I might try making myself that fall into the category I outlined (not authentic but still tasty to Western people). I'm hoping some English goons can chime in. Tikka Masala made its way over the other side of the pond, but are there others? What are they called? I want to try them perhaps.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 9, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm going to try my hand at some home made Indian next weekend. Meanwhile, I tried the food at a Indian restaurant near work for the first time. They called them 'Bento Boxes'. $9.99 for vegetarian, $10.99 for a chicken, $11.00 for a lamb. I got the dal makhani, it's the bright red one in the middle:

Other dal makhanis I've had have not been red. Was pretty tasty. The Saag Aloo just came with the box. Naan was made fresh to order along with everything else.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So I found a meetup on meetup dot com where a lovely woman will teach Indian cooking classes in a test/school kitchen. I've signed up for the next one in the bay area, and am looking forward to learning from someone that knows whats up from their own Indian mother.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
She says the next one is planned for late August but will be sending confirmation in a week or two, so for any other bay area goons http://www.meetup.com/San-Mateo-Spices-n-curry-Indian-cooking-foodie-Meetup/

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What's your definition of expensive coconut milk? My regular supermarket carries a can for around $1.20 maybe up to $1.99 IIRC. Asian market may have it cheaper, sure. You should be going to your asian market anyway, shits so much cheaper in general at mine. $1.49/lb ground pork? Yes please.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I had this eggplant dish the other day at a buffet it was so good. I think it's Baingan Bharta?

Plus there's always dal (lentil).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The indian cooking class in San Mateo Friday August 26th is 'Indian Breakfast' theme so I'm probably going to skip it.

http://www.meetup.com/San-Mateo-Spices-n-curry-Indian-cooking-foodie-Meetup/events/233147101/?rv=ea1

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Would it make sense to treat young goat (kid) like lamb and adult goat like mutton?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

MrSlam posted:

Where is everyone buying goat meat? I want the goat meat.

Halal butchers, and the Whole Foods in Fremont CA sells it from the butcher too.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpqP43npDnQ

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The ingredients are displayed in English, and it's surprisingly easy to understand given the English words thrown in. I'm curious about the counter-top oven thing he is putting the chicken in though.

Also, I love how much butter and cream goes into the gravy.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There's another San Mateo Indian cooking class meetup in late September, this time it sounds like regular Indian basics not breakfast.