Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Going to follow this thread. After eating some red curry tonight, I realized I don't know how to cook much in the way of curries and I'd like to learn more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
This is probably blasphemy, but here goes. Made a chicken tikka masala tonight using a simmer sauce in from a bottle I bought a while back at Aldi. It was really good... and as an easy meal I'd do it again.

That being said, I'm going back through this thread and looking at how to make a proper one so I can make larger batches for the week.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
So, it may not be the most authentic attempt (again), but I am cooking chicken tikka masala later today.

Here's the recipe I'm using, stolen from one of those Tasty/Tastemade videos on facebook. It's from a batch sort of recipe where you cook three different types of chicken, this is just the relevant portion:

Chicken Tikka
Ingredients:
1 lb boneless chicken, cubed into 1 ½-inch pieces
½ yellow onion, peeled and sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tsp garam masala
1 Tbsp turmeric
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup of canned chopped tomatoes with the juice
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground pepper
½ cup full-fat Greek yogurt
1 lime, juiced

Steps:
1. In a large bowl, combine everything but the lime juice in a bowl; mix until fully incorporated. Place in remaining compartment of your prepared, foiled baking dish.
2. Bake chicken in a 400 degree oven for 30–40 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking. Cool to room temperature and place in GladWare for conveniently delicious prepared meals throughout the week.

This isn't a lot of food, I don't think, so I may be making some dal on Wednesday or Thursday since I do have lentils and all the spices. Or most of them; I'm not 100% sure I have fenugreek.

I think for my next attempt at tikka masala, maybe next week or over Christmas, I'll go the more authentic route with using chicken thighs and coconut milk. I really don't care for dark meat, though, so I would hate to make it and have it not be something I like.

E: So, I made a double batch of it and it turned out to not have a lot of liquid. Flavors are okay, but there's a significant lack of liquid. I didn't measure the tomatoes before adding in the liquid - I used a 15oz can of tomatoes since the recipe calls for 1 cup of tomatoes and double would be 16oz. I thought the extra ounce wouldn't matter, but it looks like it does.

E2: I found the missing liquid. I took the recipe from this post:
https://www.facebook.com/tastemade/videos/1230820383671793/

They have you divide a baking sheet into smaller compartments to cook each chicken dish. I didn't make mine right and the tikka's liquid went under the foil I used for the other compartment. Sad times. I'm thinking of adding a little chicken broth to my lunch containers to maybe bring it back. The Chinese 5 Spice Orange Chicken is delicious and I can't stop eating it. Wish my tikka would have turned out as good, too.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 3, 2016

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I made a curry! Made chicken tikka masala from Food Wishes for my lunches this week and it's awesome.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
What's something I can make with dried green split peas? I think I bought them thinking they were akin to one of the daals. It'd be extra helpful if it's low fat, too.