Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

vulturesrow posted:

After reading through the thread I'm wondering if there exists a sort of one-stop shopping book on Indian cooking, ie. not just recipes but techniques, ,maybe some discussion on regional variations, etc? I'm far from vegan/vegetarian so a book with that focus is only going to be marginally useful to me. Thanks.

My aunt bought this book for me years ago: https://www.amazon.com/Great-Curries-India-Camellia-Panjabi/dp/1904920357

I like it because the first third of the book is kind of talking about the different ingredients used in Indian curries, and why. She spends time breaking down curries into different components (like, you want a thickener, and a main flavor component, and something for color) and then gives different examples of curries broken down so you can what each ingredient is actually doing for the overall recipe. The rest of the book is just 50 recipes for different curries, each with an introduction talking about the region it's from and maybe a little backstory about how she came across it.

Not sure if anyone else likes/dislikes this book but it's definitely helped me get to the point where I feel like I can basically just make a curry from the stuff that I have instead of looking up specific recipes all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I made an Indonesian style chicken curry last night. Broke out the ol mortar and pestle for the spice paste. I'm real bad at taking pictures but it tasted pretty good! Loosely followed this recipe: http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/padang-style-chicken-curry-gulai-ayam

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 3, 2017

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

wow that looks like a stainless steel wok. jackpot!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sex Hobbit posted:

I don't actually like cumin all that much on its own.

???????????