Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hey this is good timing. I am looking for Malaysian Indian recipes and am not sure where to start. I'm planning to make nasi kandar, when I went to those places they'd often have 20+ different dishes and you mix whatever you want. I'm not going that elaborate but I do need a variety.

I know Malaysian Indians mostly come from southern India but I have no idea if the food in Malaysia is the same as it was back home or if they've modified it to be more local or what. I know some of it has mixed with Chinese but... yeah I just don't know. Any good sources?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

What the hell does it mean to "temper" a chutney? I gather that I fry a couple spices in oil and dump them on top? What'll happen if I just add them to the chutney w/o the extra steps?

The flavor won't be as strong. The idea is to get the fat soluble flavors out of the spices and into the oil, where they'll spread more easily through the whole thing instead of being trapped in the individual spices.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My Chinese is bad and I accidentally bought whole masoor dal instead of my usual split red lentils. What do I have to do differently to cook this? Longer time I'm assuming but anything else?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Is there any guide to what spices tend to go well together when you're making your own masala?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Homemade spice mixes keep pretty well for a few months too if you have airtight containers. I usually make a few at the same time with different spices and keep them around.

It also facilitates doing other things with it like sprinkling on fried eggs or roasted potatoes or yogurt or directly into the mouth.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Agricola Frigidus posted:

- use fresh tomato, not canned. Unless I'm mistaken, canned tomato inhibits breaking - and you want to melt the tomato and the onion away.

You are semi-mistaken. Whole canned tomatoes break down fine and are what you should be using most of the time if you're cooking tomatoes and don't have access to fresh in season ones. Diced ones do have a chemical added to keep them firmer so don't use those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I guess check then, if it doesn't have that you're fine. I use whole Italian plum tomatoes for just about every cooked tomato thing I do and have never had a problem.