Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
So, I thought the Bills did really well. Then again, it's rare I outright hate a Bills draft, and they often end up vaguely unsatisfying anyway, so....yeah. We did a great job adding depth to the front 7 and should be much better against the run. Or, at least, there's no excuse for not being better against the run. Unfortunately, we didn't really bring in much more pass rush, though I guess they're hoping they can get Shaq Lawson and Adolphus Washington technically sound enough to do that.
Another criticism is that we didn't get any offensive linemen. Incognito is old, Wood is getting old and mediocre, Glenn is currently tagged, and John Miller is decent. I can only assume they're going to install some kind of mobile turnstile to play right tackle, because it would be a lot cheaper than any of our actual not-Cordy Glenn tackles for the same level of production.
As for the back half of the draft, it would seem the rumor we were enamored with Cardale Jones was true. Glad we didn't reach on him. Seems boom-or-bust, but, practically speaking, both Tyrod Taylor and E.J. Manuel are due to become free agents next year, so it helps to have insurance(and means we won't have to bother resigning E.J.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

We almost had Geno, Petty, Hackenberg, Foles
I stubbornly believe the Jets made their rotation bad to tank for a good QB. Chip probably thinks he can win with his.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LiquidFriend posted:

I stubbornly believe the Jets made their rotation bad to tank for a good QB. Chip probably thinks he can win with his.

I hope he does. Imagine if he's fired after this season too! he'll be done in the league!

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

OxySnake posted:

Isn't that the point of a NT in a 3-4? To just eat up blockers so that the ILBs can roam free and make plays on the ball?

The upshot is that the MLB is devalued and there's no need to draft one high. On top of that, there's been an evolution of that position, transitioning away from the slow thumper type dudes like Ragland and towards faster, better coverage athletes. Darron Lee-types.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

LiquidFriend posted:

chip kelly football is the exact opposite of will muschamp football so maybe he can make Driskel MVP

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Coldforge posted:

It sure is, friend. Thanks for pointing it out!

Edit: You're forgetting Thad Lewis, legitimate contender for the starting QB position.

thad lewis is cool and an ok quarterback

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

thad lewis is cool and an ok quarterback

rad thad the football lad is gonna set the league on fire.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I like the Bengals draft class. I think everyone has a shot at making the roster considering how much the team likes special teams contributors. Addressed needs while also gaining huge values in the 4th and 5th. My only concerns are that they have no means for improvement at center and they look thin at End.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Day 2 for the Colts kind of threw me for a loop, but taken as a whole I like this draft class. Kelly will be an instant starter, Haeg and Clark will provide serious competition for starting spots, Morrison has the look of a great ST guy and potentially an eventual starter, Ridgeway is a solid rotational DL that helps the pass rush, Green provides much-needed safety depth and very good ST play, and Blythe provides solid OL depth. The only pick I think is unlikely to make the 53 is Bates, but that position is very thin and I've just never seen or heard anything about him before.

At times it was frustrating, but I think this could be a very important draft as Grigson and Pagano move forward rebuilding the team.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I like this receiver the more I read and see of him. We got a top 3 talent at 13, at a serious position of need... And we over drafted a press corner. But hey he's 6'2 205 lbs.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LiquidFriend posted:

Kaepernick, Blaine Gabbert and Driskel is a really lovely depth chart lol

i disagree strongly because it gives us the greatest chance of seeing Jeff Driskel: Starting Quarterback

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

I like the Bengals draft class. I think everyone has a shot at making the roster considering how much the team likes special teams contributors. Addressed needs while also gaining huge values in the 4th and 5th. My only concerns are that they have no means for improvement at center and they look thin at End.

They are probably moving Westerman to center.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
This Packers draft was boring and white, much like Wisconsin.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bears got a polarizing physical freak passrusher, an versatile offensive lineman, a defensive lineman, a Polish linebacker whose name sounds good when a bunch of guys named Stan call into sports radio asking why don't dey start dat Quitkowski guy he seems like a hard worker, a million DBs I've never heard of, a hulking RB who destroyed the Big Ten last year, and an undersized Jewish receiver whose favorite food is latkes because they shouldn't just be for Channukah.. This is good.

One of my favorite Northwestern Wildcats went to the hated Packers. This is bad.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

edit: yikes I shouldn't take sides for the sake of argument. This is horrible.

quote:

According to a Stillwater Police Department incident report, Hill got into a verbal altercation that turned physical with his girlfriend, who was two months pregnant with his child at the time. Hill allegedly punched her in the face and stomach and also choked her twice, busting open her lip and leaving her with a bruised left eye, according to the police report. The police officer’s notes also indicated that the right side of her neck was red where Hill choked her and she complained that her head and stomach hurt from the blows. Hill’s girlfriend also told police that he’d been physical with her before, “but it had not been this bad, just a lot of manhandling but Hill has never hit her,” according to the report.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 1, 2016

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I wish the Chiefs had taken a immediate impact at WR. I know they were trying to trade up for Treadwell but couldn't find a right price, but I wish they had tried harder, or used their 23423948 4th-6th round picks to move around in the 2nd/3rd and grab Shepard

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

korrandark posted:

They are probably moving Westerman to center.

Bodine's not going anywhere.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/88229/criticisms-of-bengals-center-russell-bodine-has-his-coach-really-peeved

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
If you want a less analytics/nerdy grading of the draft than PFFs, here's SI's grades (Doug Farrar tends to be good): http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/04/30/nfl-draft-grades-teams-winners-losers-picks-analysis

Arizona Cardinals: B
Atlanta Falcons: D
Baltimore Ravens: B+
Buffalo Bills: A-
Carolina Panthers: C
Chicago Bears: B
Cincinnati Bengals: A+
Cleveland Browns: C+
Dallas Cowboys: A-
Denver Broncos: B+
Detroit Lions: B
Green Bay Packers: B
Houston Texans: B
Indianapolis Colts: B+
Jacksonville Jaguars: A+
Kansas City Chiefs: B-
Los Angeles Rams: B-
Miami Dolphins: B
Minnesota Vikings: B
New England Patriots: C+
New Orleans Saints: B
New York Giants: A
New York Jets: B-
Oakland Raiders: B+
Philadelphia Eagles: B
Pittsburgh Steelers: B
San Diego Chargers: B+
San Francisco 49ers: A-
Seattle Seahawks: B-
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: C
Tennessee Titans: B+
Washington Redskins: A-

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Giants did not have an A draft I am sorry.

Miami drafted two potential stars. The rest will be out of the league in 3 years

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Giants did not have an A draft I am sorry.

Miami drafted two potential stars. The rest will be out of the league in 3 years

Shepard and Perkins could be really, really good, but yeah. An A's really high for them. On the other hand: they're New York, so they automatically get a bump in grade, and a B sounds about right.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

quote:

"As soon as I hung up, I said, 'Give me my Titans hat. Titan up.'

I'm 100% all in on Kevin Byard

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

So, I thought the Bills did really well. Then again, it's rare I outright hate a Bills draft, and they often end up vaguely unsatisfying anyway, so....yeah.

Same here. I don't have very much to criticize first 3 picks were awesome Cardale Jones was kind of out there but for a 4th round pick I really like it. I think some of their later picks especially the running back look interesting.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Coldforge posted:

Shepard and Perkins could be really, really good, but yeah. An A's really high for them. On the other hand: they're New York, so they automatically get a bump in grade, and a B sounds about right.

Id Agree with that.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Metapod posted:

I'm 100% all in on Kevin Byard

He's arguably the best pure safety in this draft class; ie not a tweener or a human missile.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

pasaluki posted:

Same here. I don't have very much to criticize first 3 picks were awesome Cardale Jones was kind of out there but for a 4th round pick I really like it. I think some of their later picks especially the running back look interesting.

4th round for a backup qb project, especially after the bill's good first 3 rounds is absolutely fine

ragland seems dope as hell

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I cant think of a funnier storyline than Christian Hackenberg beating Tom Brady in a game of NFL football.

I also laugh at cute cat videos.

:smith:

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
I mostly like the Steelers draft

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Roasted Donut posted:

I mostly like the Steelers draft

They never seem to do what pundits think they will do, which is fine by me. I tend to trust them over Mel Kiper and McShay.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Coldforge posted:

If you want a less analytics/nerdy grading of the draft than PFFs, here's SI's grades (Doug Farrar tends to be good): http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/04/30/nfl-draft-grades-teams-winners-losers-picks-analysis

New England Patriots: C+

+ They pretty much took nothing but positions of genuine need, only really missing on running back
+ I trust the Patriots when it comes to drafting fatties and linebackers, of which they took several
- Obligatory backup QB pick that will amount to nothing but future cheap trade bait that will somehow be spun as super genius manuvering
- Patriots absolutely can't draft wide receivers worth a single poo poo, but spend 2 picks on the position anyway. At this point why even loving bother?
- Obligatory weirdo small school DB/LB/WTF pick out of nowhere BECAUSE HE'S SO FAR AHEAD OF THE CURVE

So yeah, that's about right. A super generic Patriots draft if there ever was one. :effort:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My favorite thing about the Tyreek Hill pick is that I'm reading this long diatribe from a 76 year old Chiefs fan who is completely convinced that the girlfriend faked it and the police doctored the photos

e: Oooh I love this one

quote:

Keep your moral high ground
I’ll take wins. It’s so easy to poo poo on some kid who makes a mistake but I’ll reserve my judgement for the future. He got into trouble and did something stupid but I’ll take 4.2 4.3 speed and dynamic play making all day in the 5th.

e2: There's a disturbing amount of justification going on here. "He plead not guilty at first before taking a deal", "She hit him first", "We weren't there so we don't know what happened", "How do we know she's not crazy and faking it", etc

And plenty of "lol at you SJWs" and good old fashioned "I don't care as long as he's good"

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 2, 2016

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The police, well-known for trying to get college players in trouble.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Intruder posted:

My favorite thing about the Tyreek Hill pick is that I'm reading this long diatribe from a 76 year old Chiefs fan who is completely convinced that the girlfriend faked it and the police doctored the photos

e: Oooh I love this one

e2: There's a disturbing amount of justification going on here. "He plead not guilty at first before taking a deal", "She hit him first", "We weren't there so we don't know what happened", "How do we know she's not crazy and faking it", etc

And plenty of "lol at you SJWs" and good old fashioned "I don't care as long as he's good"
At first I was kinda glad that people were angry about the pick entirely. Than something happened overnight and the white knights emerged the next day.

Chiefs fans are awful.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I mean I'm sure the majority of Chiefs fans would sooner not have him on the team and that the outrageous voices are just being louder. Or maybe people don't see any point in arguing with someone who doesn't see anything wrong with cheering for a player who beat up his pregnant girlfriend

I'm reading online comments, it's not surprising I'd find gross stuff like this but I strangely can't turn away either

If he's trying to get his life together and get himself under control and learn and grow from this then fine, but to me if he were on my team he'd need to prove himself before I was ok with cheering for him, not get the benefit of the doubt

And in the end it doesn't matter because there's not a single player on any team who gives a poo poo if I cheer for them :shrug:

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Oh no, I'm sure the majoroty of Chiefs fans thought, "the bitch had it coming"

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
I love the tone deafness of the organization that just a few years ago had a dude murder his wife then shoot himself at the stadium. There is no other team in the league that should be avoiding DV guys more than KC.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

warcrimes posted:

I love the tone deafness of the organization that just a few years ago had a dude murder his wife then shoot himself at the stadium. There is no other team in the league that should be avoiding DV guys more than KC.

The Chiefs probably aren't even one of the first ten teams I would have thought of when asked about domestic abuse. It's a problem no matter which team drafts him.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Because murder is much more extreme than DV

the Chiefs are associated with murder

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

fsif posted:

The Chiefs probably aren't even one of the first ten teams I would have thought of when asked about domestic abuse. It's a problem no matter which team drafts him.

Well, they're the one team that had an active roster guy shoot his wife in the head. It got classified as "murder/suicide" so it flies under the radar as DV

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I don't mind the Chiefs taking a chance on a dude.

The issue is they're telling everyone to trust them on this because they did their homework. Unless they were looking to see if he was a piece of poo poo that didn't learn his lesson, than they failed that homework real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--was writing this when you posted. Yeah kinda my take on things too. He seems as regretful as Frank Clark does. Or that Notre Dame linebacker who's already flushed out for torturing dogs or whatever it was.

warcrimes posted:

Dorsey ran the pick by Clark Hunt before he made it, so we have to assume Clark was ok with this.

I'm sure they'll claim they did their homework and he's a changed man and blah blah, but when Hill's first comment on why he won't get in trouble again is "I'll pick better friends," well, uh. Ok then. I'm sure you've fully accepted your part in things.

• Locked thread