Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

First project should obviously be building a new shell and cart :)

Obviously. It needs better jacks, they basically just sit in there, you can tug them out with ease:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YtqwHz-Ev0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Dude I literally just said I didn't know the difference. Like 3 times. Just because I didn't know something existed doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it. This is why I belong to this forum, so I can ask questions like the newb that I am. Sorry I am not an expert backyard mechanic like everyone else and know every little thing and tip and trick. Like I stated, now I know the proper way to repair it and will do so in the future. Dunno what else you want from me... :shrug:

You need to know everything or suck their dicks and do whatever they suggest right away.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

*Sells cars. Buys rusted out Impreza and 1990 Miata.* Am I cool yet?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So SAC's new gimmick is TT's old gimmick where he's asking people to Google poo poo for him?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Phone posted:

So SAC's new gimmick is TT's old gimmick where he's asking people to Google poo poo for him?

I dunno -- TT seems like a reasonably intelligent guy who was playing dumb for laughs (except it wasn't funny)

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Goober Peas posted:

I dunno -- TT seems like a reasonably intelligent guy who was playing dumb for laughs (except it wasn't funny)

No he didn't. He was painfully clueless.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Phone posted:

Seems that way.

But yes, get mad because you couldn't spend thirty seconds on loving google. poo poo, nowadays you don't even have to type. Just use the air you're normally wasting and ask the loving phone to do it for you.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Bought myself a driving appliance on the weekend. 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS.

The seller knows one thing about cars* "change the oil every 5,000km" which he did religiously. In addition to that it, the guy wasn't a cheapskate and whenever the mechanic recommended that something be replaced, he did it. This was backed up by the 2" thick folder the guy had containing the invoice for every single thing he spent on the car, even down to the antenna ball. As a result this thing feels brand new even though it's got 103,000km on it. There is only one issue with it really and the reason why he sold it; the sway bar end links are done, looking at a diagram they look pretty simple to replace, let's see how much this will set me back:

:dance:

*Like legit that was all he knew about cars. I asked him to pop the hood and he looked at me wide-eyed and asked how to do that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MustardFacial posted:

The seller knows one thing about cars* "change the oil every 5,000km" which he did religiously. In addition to that it, the guy wasn't a cheapskate and whenever the mechanic recommended that something be replaced, he did it. This was backed up by the 2" thick folder the guy had containing the invoice for every single thing he spent on the car, even down to the antenna ball. As a result this thing feels brand new even though it's got 103,000km on it. There is only one issue with it really and the reason why he sold it; the sway bar end links are done, looking at a diagram they look pretty simple to replace, let's see how much this will set me back:

Those are the people I love buying cars from, way less chance of hack jobs and PO fuckery. My first E30 was owned by the same guy all it's life and was always serviced at the dealership. Didn't even now when I went to look at it then he handed me several binders full of receipts. Then of course I bought it and hosed with everything :downs:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How are you still living paycheck to paycheck with your nice union job, overtime and not doing drugs anymore?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BraveUlysses posted:

How are you still living paycheck to paycheck with your nice union job, overtime and not doing drugs anymore?

I don't think he has a union job.
That said, to be fair, a few months of unemployment will completely gently caress up your finances for a bit, even after you get a decent job.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

NitroSpazzz posted:

Those are the people I love buying cars from, way less chance of hack jobs and PO fuckery. My first E30 was owned by the same guy all it's life and was always serviced at the dealership. Didn't even now when I went to look at it then he handed me several binders full of receipts. Then of course I bought it and hosed with everything :downs:

I always figured that buying a car in this price range (it was $3300) would be nothing but "I just add oil every once in a while" type crowd, so I went into this expecting a horror museum of deferred maintenance. But this was the first car I saw and as soon as I drove it I knew I was buying this car. That's when the PO dropped the folder on me. I flipped through it and all of it was just small maintenance items like belt and pulley replacements, oil changes, brake fluid, etc. Any parts that were replaced were usually just done once and nothing was replaced over and over so the car doesn't have a habit of eating through any specific parts.

I heard the clunking sway bar link during the test drive and the guy said the mechanic quoted him $400 to replace it, and his wife wanted a new car anyways so he figured gently caress it just buy the new one. I was pretty sure I could replace the sway bar link myself and everything else was so clean (minus the interior) that I figured it was worth a roll of the dice. Now that I've looked at the diagram and priced one out I'm glad I bought it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I was waiting for the box to burst into flames. Hence the fire extinguisher sitting close at hand.

Well, if it's lasted 60 years already what are the chances it's gonna go now?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That welder video was pretty loving tense. I figured you couldn't have died because you uploaded the video but still, that was pretty brave as that thing looks ghetto as gently caress.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MustardFacial posted:

Good find, get used to the front end clunking and making noises it's an issue with these cars that apparently cannot be fixed for whatever reason.

Just keep an eye on the end links because these cars eat them and just drive the piss out of it.

Also congrats on being a dad it's awesome!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

leica posted:

Good find, get used to the front end clunking and making noises it's an issue with these cars that apparently cannot be fixed for whatever reason.

Just keep an eye on the end links because these cars eat them and just drive the piss out of it.

Also congrats on being a dad it's awesome!

There is a fix, it's the MOOG ones that have metal bushings with grease nipples on them These will probably be the ones I get.

Thanks! I now understand why new parents are so tired all of the time, I was up until 4am last night feeding her. My mother-in-law gets in a huff with me when I call her a "little poo poo machine"

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MustardFacial posted:

There is a fix, it's the MOOG ones that have metal bushings with grease nipples on them These will probably be the ones I get.

Thanks! I now understand why new parents are so tired all of the time, I was up until 4am last night feeding her. My mother-in-law gets in a huff with me when I call her a "little poo poo machine"

Yeah you should probably find a better term for your MIL. At least don't call her that to her face.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I installed the same links on our HHR, but it didn't solve the clunking front end issue which at first I thought for sure was the problem, turns out it's more complicated :(

But if you're lucky you might not have that issue, not everyone does.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Raluek posted:

Yeah you should probably find a better term for your MIL. At least don't call her that to her face.

I call my daughter that. It's not like she understands what I'm saying anyways.

leica posted:

I installed the same links on our HHR, but it didn't solve the clunking front end issue which at first I thought for sure was the problem, turns out it's more complicated :(

But if you're lucky you might not have that issue, not everyone does.

Crap. Welp I already ordered them so I guess we'll find out if it fixes it or not.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ozmiander posted:

You need to know everything or suck their dicks and do whatever they suggest right away.

Note the date today: May 30, 2016. meatpimp officially agrees with something Ozmiander is saying.

Back off of SAC, you guys are being unnecessarily righteous dickbags.

He drove on the tire for x amount of time, I can see a tire store instantly saying that he needs a new tire because of "sidewall damage." Best to patch the tire and see from there. Yes, slime is bad. Yes, driving on a flat is bad, especially on a low profile tire. Everyone will live through this and we will continue to post on.

BraveUlysses posted:

On the other hand, I was asking this question to myself as I was reading.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

That welder video was pretty loving tense. I figured you couldn't have died because you uploaded the video but still, that was pretty brave as that thing looks ghetto as gently caress.

It seems to work pretty well, I need to get some scrap metal to practice on. I've had my best luck on medium voltage.

MustardFacial posted:

I drill and install my own grease nipples on my ball joints and control arm joints.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

CommieGIR posted:

I drill and install my own grease nipples on my ball joints and control arm joints.

I grind my own drill bits and forge my own control arms.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CommieGIR posted:

That's the oddest fetish I have ever heard of

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
My dog just rolled around on the floor like she was scratching her back, right in front of a fan.

She then let out a fart louder than a person's, and we had to leave the loving room. She looks pleased.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

88h88 posted:

but still, that was pretty brave as that thing looks ghetto as gently caress.

I'm honestly amazed at how many people lived through the pre-1950s/60s just because of how "we give no fucks" industrial equipment manufacturers were regarding safety of the people using their products.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://youtu.be/BEIl6ad0GeQ

In which I set a paper towel on fire while trying AC Stick welding and pop a breaker, and burn my hand on a hot pipe. Oh, and try to use a carbon tip to cut through a project piece. Need an air line to blow away slag.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Quit holding the stick so close to the piece you're trying to weld. Thats part of why you kept getting the rod stuck like that.

Edit: and a slight back and forth motion perpindicular to the direction you are welding will also help to give a nice smooth weld.

Edit 2: Also, hold the rod at a 45° angle to what you're working on.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 31, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do we have a thread on importing cars to the US?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Skipping 62 pages of May chat to pop in and say that US Top Gear makes me *hate* car TV. I dunno how they could gently caress up the formula of UK top gear so badly, but jesus tapdancing christ, is it the worst loving show. Pimp my ride was a better experience than this horseshit. The only guy who isn't a worthless piece of poo poo is that Tanner guy because it seems like he actually tries. The other two morons just piss me off. You've got fat guido jersey fuckface idiot that's supposed to be US Clarkson and then you have hipster crybaby fatass that's supposed to be US captain slow. I hate this piece of poo poo show and I want my Top Gear back on Hulu. gently caress this gay earth and gently caress the loser producers who got top gear so wrong.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Wait till you see what they did with UK Top Gear...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elmnt80 posted:

Quit holding the stick so close to the piece you're trying to weld. Thats part of why you kept getting the rod stuck like that.

Edit: and a slight back and forth motion perpindicular to the direction you are welding will also help to give a nice smooth weld.

Cool, thanks.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

MrChips posted:

Wait till you see what they did with UK Top Gear...

No. nonononononononono. Don't take my last thing from me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geiGm3Xi-4E

What did they do?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BloodBag posted:

What did they do?

Hired a bunch of idiots.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

Hired a bunch of idiots.

How you doin?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

If he was doing the show in character it'd be the greatest thing ever.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BloodBag posted:

Skipping 62 pages of May chat to pop in and say that US Top Gear makes me *hate* car TV. I dunno how they could gently caress up the formula of UK top gear so badly, but jesus tapdancing christ, is it the worst loving show. Pimp my ride was a better experience than this horseshit. The only guy who isn't a worthless piece of poo poo is that Tanner guy because it seems like he actually tries. The other two morons just piss me off. You've got fat guido jersey fuckface idiot that's supposed to be US Clarkson and then you have hipster crybaby fatass that's supposed to be US captain slow. I hate this piece of poo poo show and I want my Top Gear back on Hulu. gently caress this gay earth and gently caress the loser producers who got top gear so wrong.

I actually like Rutledge Wood but he would be nicer on his own. If I had dumb money I would buy equally stupid poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPGNmVqF0c4

I mean look at this poo poo. Dude fits in with AI better than most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAGx0lsUN4I

Dude has an E30 monster truck. And an '83 Civic wagon with avocado green plaid Recaros. And a rear-wheel-drive turbocharged 2JZ swapped Scion xB.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 31, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Cool, thanks.

Np. I made alot of those same mistakes when our shop teacher was teaching me on the school's arc welder. You can make some really nice looking welds with one with a bit of practice. I think you also need to adjust the current on the box for the size of the stick you were using, but I'm not sure. Its been 12 years since I tried setting it up, but hand placement, holding the rod and hand motions got drilled into me hard from being so terrible at it. At least until my classmates got us all banned from welding for making knives/swords and destroying the welding cubicle things.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm begging for Fifth gear right now because I don't have cable and Hulu pulled all my TGUK's. What the gently caress. Man, I want to watch Guy Fieri and Stacy David pitch flowmasters at me on a bitchin episode of TRUHHHHCKZ over this hogshit. Actually, that's not fair, the guys on horsepower TV were actual car guys, not two washed up losers and an actual car guy thrown in to play at automotive validity.

E: /\/\/\ I got the feeling that hipster fella actually somewhat cared about some of the cars. I guess I just want that facewart loser to go die in a fire and let the other two do a good show.

E2: I'm gonna play plush on my strat and then go to bed. I'm so angry, I need to chill out. Night fellas :buddy:

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 31, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elmnt80 posted:

Np. I made alot of those same mistakes when our shop teacher was teaching me on the school's arc welder. You can make some really nice looking welds with one with a bit of practice. I think you also need to adjust the current on the box for the size of the stick you were using, but I'm not sure. Its been 12 years since I tried setting it up, but hand placement, holding the rod and hand motions got drilled into me hard from being so terrible at it. At least until my classmates got us all banned from welding for making knives/swords and destroying the welding cubicle things.

Yeah, I was playing with the current settings. On this box, which is just a transformer, I only have 4 current settings:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Just pull yourself up by your jackbootstraps like a true Trump voter :allears:

Seriously though loving slap a plug in it and drive the speed limit. Make sure your spare is aired up and your lug wrench and jack are in the car. It's not a big deal.

Slime sucks rear end and can goop up tpms sensors but it won't wreck the wheel in any reasonable amount of time. Warn the tire shop that you used slime without knowing it was bad, and offer to clean the wheel for them once they pull the old tire off. Bring a roll of shop towels and a can of brakleen. Done.

also we tried my new rice cooker out today and gently caress the haters it's totally worth having a one-use appliance like this around. Dump in water and rice and push a button, then work on something else till it beeps. It's awesome.

• Locked thread