Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
New AAA study showing more people in fatal WA crashes had marijuana in their systems: http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/fatal-crashes-involving-marijuana-in-washington-double-after-legalization-study-says.html
AAA itself is being pretty reasonable with not jumping to conclusions, but on its face, doesn't sound good for legalization.

I wonder if marijuana consumption broadly went up after legalization, and whether that had a significant effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Damming the Colorado river required a little bit more than what could be considered basic technology, imo.

Imagine if instead of Peak Oil, it was Peak Water. The US Southwest would be fuuuuucked.
The book Water Knife goes into some cool what ifs about that scenario, where the concept of water passing through different territories leads to a ton of weird law and loopholes, including one state bombing another's dam because its water needs outweighed the political consequences. Pretty good near future dystopia, decent action.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Double meat, double cheese, get with the nomenclature.

I wonder if anyone ever orders a double single or single double.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

In my tech company community, we're not worried about long term retention, as turnover is probably 2-4 years. The product changes all the time, the market changes all the time. It's fine for someone to be mercenary and just work a short stretch as long as they're effective throughout. When I've interviewed older engineers (like 50 and above), the two things that are the biggest negatives is if they've not kept up with new technologies and if they seem extremely different from overall company culture. Of those two things, the latter is definitely a true form of ageism. Even now, there's a rift at above 30 vs below 30.

blk posted:

Im about to turn 33 and starting over makes me feel like a colossal loser. I'm competing with (and losing to) candidates 10 years younger than me who are fresh out of school and internships with a lot of inertia. It's completely unnerving. When I apply and do info interviews I get a lot of "why are you here?" vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xG4oFny2Pk

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Wait what are you guys talking about? I only know K-cars as tiny Japanese tax-dodging shoe boxes.

Kei cars vs K cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hBb642NSyc
it's the luxury

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

The image behind his link is even scarier. Someone put a lot of weird thought into that.

I like how all the anatomy is analogous to humans, except the clitoris, which has been reengineered to be bigger and easier to hit. :gonk:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A lot of cheap jeans don't stretch, which I need for riding bikes. If I get non stretch jeans that fit my thighs, then the leg openings are too loose and catch on the chainring.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Any recommendations? I'm buying new jeans every 6 months to fit my thighs, getting annoying.

Not at the moment. There was a Kickstarter brand that I went with and was really happy with despite the price, but they've since gone to button flys, which is ridiculous.

I can't really recommend Calvin Klein Rockers, cuz they're very thin fabric and very skinny despite being stretch.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Have I lost what remains of my mind or is "I never have to change my engine oil because it leaks/burns so much lol" now being advertised as a design feature?

Yeah, the writing on that page is weird. You'd think someone who's conscientious enough to think about changing the oil would also care about oil consumption rates.
Maybe it's like Check 50 Times And Just Add Once.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

corn in the fridge posted:

as a geologist i,

Remember when you poo poo on movies and upped reading but never dared mention which books were good?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

fyodor posted:

The Autodromo watches are pretty cool I guess and they intersect with AI nicely.

The one the founder was wearing on Petrolicious looks good, but the stuff they actually sell seems tacky and cheap.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I've spent literally millions of hours sifting through watch designs and the only one I liked was a cheap rear end Seiko 5. All the Swiss stuff now is too gaudy and huge in my opinion. I want a watch on my wrist, not a dinner plate.

Check this out: http://rivbike.tumblr.com/post/105372801914/wed-like-to-sell-15-mondaine-watches-this-week
http://www.jomashop.com/mondaine-watches.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The price is still very tempting. Curious how bidding'll be in the last couple hours of the auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/112002501475

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I keep reading the thread title as "ethnics in rice cooking."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CharlesM posted:

The Transformers: The Movie (1986)

*Bumblebee trips and says "oh poo poo" for no reason*

MustardFacial posted:

"Turn the Air Conditioning on. Cold air makes that baby's skin fairer."
Did you point out that your being white probably helps more? Just assuming you're white.

• Locked thread