Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I can't help but feel the conversation around Ford/GM ditching the Falcon/Commodore was something like:

:australia: "You can't drop the car! That model is part of our automotive history and culture!"
:patriot: "Oh, ok, you going to buy one then?"
:australia: "...No."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

How do I put :fuckoff: in an email without using a smilie?
In the UK, we cite Arkell vs Pressdram.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Are there any decent car project youtube channels about right now? I've watched all of aaroncake, B is for Build, MCM, Project Binky, CorvetteBen, RCR, everything Motor Trend-related.
Fastthings building his Factory Five GTM is a slow one if you just want a ton of stuff to watch. Gotta be 20+ hours of video.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

88h88 posted:

Seeing as this is the AI forum, can I have opinions on the film Speed Racer? Personally I feel it's a massively underrated film, pure joy from start to finish, and oh what a finish it is.
It is utterly, gloriously batshit, and I loved it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

What's it like living in a biome that will kill you in a day without modern technology?
I bet the Australians are just :allears: at this.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The only smoking-related thing propylene glycol should be used for is your cigar humidor.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MustardFacial posted:

My in laws are from Leicester and the last time they were out here they were saying how they need to move to Canada because "there are so few Muslims around." I thought about reminding them about how they are just as much immigrant as the muslims are, but I don't think it would have mattered.
No, please, move them to Canada, it's fine, we won't miss them.

Though I do find that if I spend a couple of days away somewhere, I kind of start thinking "Man, there's a lot of white people here".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'll certainly take a non-rusting, non-running Z over a rusty running Z.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SouthsideSaint posted:

please make sure to use wd-40 on everything.
I was moving a lathe around today and it got caught in a thunderstorm-related downpour, so I used an airline to blow it down and doused everything in WD-40.

Having now actually used the stuff for what it's meant for, am I going to get a silencing visit from someone? :ohdear:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SouthsideSaint posted:

Use your penetrant as you please. I was simply making a sperglordfirecock joke. I mean if I remember right wd-40 was used to help prevent rust on boat missles or something so it should work for what you want.
Nah, i know The Ballad Of Pyjama Pants Doriftu.

I was more joking about the fact that every fucker uses WD-40 for everything except the one thing it was intended for. Also, Atlas missiles, I believe

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Remember kids, recycle your plastics, and you can help our environment last ein tausend jährige.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Superfood? You mean steak?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

I've just realised what the Google self driving golf car reminds me of from the front, a tiny bay window vw bus. That's been bugging me for ages.
Have you seen the Subaru kei van ones? :3:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tide posted:

The perspective I'm looking at is this...

A riding mower is going to cost 1000 bucks. Then you still have to get the aerator and thatcher, which is 200-300 each. So your cost is up to around 1500. You could get the flex plus mower, aerator, and thatcher for a total of about 1000.

Or you can spend a couple hundred on a rake for the thatching and aerator drum and do the same thing; just take longer and take more work. Assuming, of course, you have the push mower with a bagger on it.

I guess it comes down to "how much is your time worth".
Or look at it the other way, for only a little more, you could have an actual old tractor.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Brigdh posted:

I mostly shrug my shoulders and try not to think about it too much. If I do, I start wondering how the world keeps spinning, because I've run into these issues at pretty much every big company.
Everyone feels this way about where they work. My experience is that Office Space and Dilbert are often toe-curlingly accurate.

:(: "Why are you adding cost to this part?"

:confused: "Oh, yeah, we're not, actually. For some reason, the system had a book time of 2m50s for machining, and they were taking 5m to do the op. But we got it properly set up and timed down to 3m40s, so adjusted the book figure to that"

:(: "So you've added 50 seconds to the op? That adds cost!"

:confused: "Well, on the system it does look like that, but what we've really done is save 1m20s over what they were actually doing, and 'unhide' the extra expense so our costs are accurate now"

:(: "But it's an additional 50s of time per part, we need to justify that extra cost."

:confused: "It's not actually an extra cost, it was just a hidden cost we were always paying for without it being directly accounted for, and we've now both recognised that so the book figures are accurate, and cut it down a fair chunk, so it's a saving"

:(: "The time's longer on the system, that costs more"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Goober Peas posted:

Parent rant:
wants me to listen to how he's a victim and there ought to be laws to protect him.
"There is, it's called power of attorney. Don't push your luck old man"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

We have bike chases all the time in LA and the cruisers just hold back at a reasonable speed until the guy runs out of fuel, jumps a fence and gets owned by a police dog on live TV.

Liquid Communism posted:

No, because you'd get to your first fuel stop and get turbofucked, because they can just park a helicopter over your rear end.
Or do both, with an air-to-ground police dog:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Goddammit Stump, your van's power steering is a bad influence on impressionable vehicles.

Ok, that's actually not so bad. Let's try it with pressure.

:laugh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stump posted:

Oh poo poo Dave. What vehicle is that? My van has now passed its MOT and done 135 miles with its bodged connection. Mechanic I took it to shrugged and said it would probably be fine, but I think I'll fix it at some point. It's not weeping or anything but I figure it's mode of failure will be straight from fine to hosed in a fraction of a second.
It's on a Mk4 Fiesta. One which cost me less than a day's wages, though, so eh. I'll figure something out for it.

They run the pipes across the front behind the mouth of the lower grille, so they act as a cooler, but of course this means they also get blasted with grit, water and winter salt, so it's hardly surprising that the above happens I guess.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If it's a beater already it's time to do some science experiments on it. Do they have JB Weld steel stick in Blighty?
I'm going to pull it off and clean it up to find all the holes first, I'm hoping that a couple of strategic tack welds will seal it back up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Scored a "broken" garden shredder on ebay for a fiver. All that was wrong was a blown fuse, and the guy had reversed the connections on the switch while trying to fix it so it was shorted out. Seems to work just fine, and still has the £110 shop sticker on it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bolind posted:

I once got a popcorn hour for $30. Went home, changed the fuse, good as new. Sold the spare PSU it came with for $25. Turns out a new PSU does very little when the fuse is embedded in the female mains plug in the chassis.
What's a popcorn hour?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bolind posted:

It's kinda like a very early Apple TV/XBMC. Networked Media Tank I think they called them. I think mine was the C200 or C300. It was pretty cool for its time.
Right, ok, never heard of them.

Tusen Takk posted:

only in indiana are the liberals as terrible as the conservatives
They're not "liberal" in any sense, as covered by:

keykey posted:

Social justice warriors are awesome. :allears:

keykey posted:

Pretty much. I DON'T LIKE YOUR NAME! *assault* ALSO, WE'RE SUPER OPEN MINDED UNLESS YOU DISAGREE!
I heard the term "crybullies" recently, and drat, that's bang on the money for the majority of these twats.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tusen Takk posted:

If you guys ever think you don't have a significant other for whatever reason just remember that if Tusen Takk can trick a gorgeous gal to marry him then anyone can

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Got back about an hour or so ago from taking my wife to have surgery done for a deviated septum. They told her that there would be some pain, but holy gently caress. She moaned, whined, and whimpered the entire way home and better than a half-hour after that. She's still sporadically doing it, after a Tylenol 3. It's setting off every protective defend-your-mate instinct I have something fierce. I'm incredibly tense, and I'm almost shaking. I haven't had this level of impotent rage in some time - drat near Hulk Smash levels. I want to kill something for hurting my wife, but there's nobody to kill. If someone were to cross me right now my response would be WAY out of proportion.
gently caress, I don't know if I can handle this.

Next time someone else is playing nursemaid - I get far too emotionally involved.
I'm missing some context here, what was the cause? Did someone punch your wife?

glyph posted:

2) Annnnd it's an oddball. I work in a D.O.E. funded plasma physics lab (fusion and poo poo, handshake- scaled experiments- with sandia and their Z machine).

...We have a grad student who is trying to make stupid thin cylinders (liners) of Aluminum. We can machine them to a .001" (25 micron) wall thickness semi-reliably, but he'd like a 2 (t w o) micron wall. We have a deposition chamber, and we've had no problem depositing (sputtering) the aluminum, but retrieving the cylinder from the mandrel/substrate has been a bitch. He had tried using a mandrel of some manner of plastic that will dissolve in citric acid, but the heat of the deposition created pocks in the plastic that tore the cylinder (liner) whilst dissolving. Inspired by AvE using alum to dissolve steel while keeping aluminum in one piece, I've deposited on a turned and polished steel mandrel, but the dissolve is too violent- bubbles. I've been daydreaming about something like salt or rock candy that can be turned to the O.D. he's looking for, that has a fighting chance of holding up to the heat of deposition- very high vacuum, so heat just.stays.- while dissolving in a very quiet and non-turbulent way.

Is there anything that y'all can think of that could deal with heat (~600C for an hour), but dissolve all nice and quiet like sos we could maybe pull this off?

E: I know it's a moonshot, but SA has come through before.
Could you make it of something that's susceptible to breaking up with vibration?

Or make them with a thicker wall for coating, then thin them out afterwards?

Afraid I can't help much. We have some stuff PVD'd by subcontractors on occasion, but it tends to be things that are like half an inch thick and made of stuff like Inconel, so they're pretty resilient.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 18, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Wait what are you guys talking about? I only know K-cars as tiny Japanese tax-dodging shoe boxes.
Tangentially related, the Cappo got pulled up on its MOT for rust today. Nothing too horrible, just a small water trap created by the outboard rear mounting points for the seat.

In order to properly look at what I'm dealing with, I've had to pull up the carpet, and I'm pleased to see that there's a good Waxoyl residue in most places. If I can fix the small patches I have to do now and top up these and any other bits that have been missed previously, it should last a good while.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

I am still mad we never got those here because the Miata isn't quite small enough for me to want one.
You could import an early one now, couldn't you? 25 year rule?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Not bored of it yet then? :forkbomb:
Never! When you haven't driven it in a while, you forget how much of a giggle it is to blat about in.

Swapping straight from the Cappo to the Landie is a hell of a culture shock though...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Congratulations Mustard Facial!

Got the Cappo MOT'd today, taken some stuff down the tip (cue traditional Land-Rover-vs-van argument with a council worker), and my mate's taken over the drive the roller-paint his A3 in Rustoleum.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If I had the spare cash for a shipping container over here, I'd consider that. I want a mirthmobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I remember when MTB riders commonly nicknamed roadies "stiffbacks"...

• Locked thread