Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Garbage Dick posted:

I think it worked.

I dunno why, but every cat I've ever owned has been absolutely crazy for chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The battery in my Galaxy S4 Mini is bulging in a rather unnerving way, but the new 4th-generation Moto G won't be out for another month or two :emo:

E: Are any of last year's model phone worth a drat? Like the Nexus 5X or Moto X or something? Battery life is important.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 3, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wrar posted:

I really like my 5X, doubly so since stock Android is solid. It's got a decent camera and a wonderful screen. I wish that people would stop chasing thin and give me more battery life, though.

Cakefool posted:

The answer is always moto G.

mariooncrack posted:

The battery isn't user replaceable? If it is, you should be able to pick up a replacement on amazon for like $20

Wrar posted:

Yeah, the battery on the S4 mini is a back cover away. Just replace it :)

I'm on my second battery for the S4 Mini in less than 2 years, because the original one lasted half a day of normal use after about a year. The new one only stretched that to a day or so, even with power saving turned on. It's just crappy, I guess. I had Cyanogenmod on it for a while, but that just made it chew through the battery even faster. There's only so much you can do with a 1900mAh battery.

I've ordered a Moto X Play since it wasn't that much more expensive than the G, is bettery on every spec and it supports everything in Android 6.0 (the G doesn't support Doze and a few other features). I also like the 3600mAh battery.

I'm hitting a roughly 2-2½ year replacement interval for phones, and when I break it out ~$180/year is acceptable.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 3, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

fyodor posted:

Jesus is just alright with me.

Jesus seems like a pretty cool dude, it's the fan club that bothers me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You shaved your back? :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

T-Square posted:

I'm still using my S3 :(

If you can swing it, get a new phone.

The difference from my S4 Mini to my new Moto X is huge.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tomarse posted:

Should be a good night out! I think Demanufacture is my favourite album due to how many hours I spent playing carmageddon in my teens!

+1 for getting introduced to Fear Factory through Carmageddon. Still one of my absolut favorite albums ever.

I am so hyped to go see them in August. I hope they play Demanufacture in its entirety like on the US tour, but they've also teased doing Obsolete instead, which would be equally awesome.

leica posted:

My Moto X was WAY bigger than I expected since I never saw one in person and just ordered it off amazon. I opened the box and was like wtf :v:

It's pretty close to phablet size, but somehow it actually feels smaller than the Galaxy S5 I have at work, even though the Moto X has a larger screen.

For the longest time, I thought I would never get a phone with a screen bigger than ~4.5", but here I am with a bigass ~5.5" screen phone, and I don't mind.

I remember when the original iPhone came out with its "enormous" 3.5" screen :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 6, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If I couldn't manage to control my food intake and exercise semi-regularly, I would probably just kill myself. loving hell.

loving surgery to force yourself to eat less, man. The 21st century is some crazy-rear end poo poo.

E:

quote:

Last month, the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (Nice) revised its guidelines and said that we should be offering more of this sort of gastric surgery to people on the NHS. Previously, patients had to have a BMI of more than 35 to be eligible. Now, Nice is suggesting that this figure be reduced to 30.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...ic-9938816.html

WTF, a BMI of 30 is not nearly high enough to be a medical issue.

I have a BMI of around 30 (5'10" 210lbs), and I can run, lift weights and do crossfit just fine. Yes, I'm a big guy and I am currently unable to do pullups unless I lose some weight, but I sure as hell shouldn't be eligible for goddamn weight-loss surgery.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 10, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

corn in the fridge posted:

Rename literally a fish to literally a whale

A whale is not a fish :spergin:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Siochain posted:

Going to be polite about this here, but weight loss is a LOT loving harder than some people seem to think. I'm fighting that demon still. I've been at the point where surgery would have been an option, but that was 10+ years ago. Even now, watching what I eat and exercising at least semi-regularly, I fight with my weight. I'm active, and in better shape than most people my size, but I'm still a big mother-fucker. LaF went and did something for himself to improve his situation. If he doesn't keep watching what he eats and start exercising, it won't help (a ton). But, if he does, its a kick-rear end headstart, and I'm rooting for him.

I'm only saying it because I used to be a fat bastard, and the only thing that worked was to pull myself together and stop lying to myself about my calorie and sugar intake, and go hard on the exercise.

Now I'm just a bastard :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MustardFacial posted:

Hell a single shot of vodka by itself is 97 calories. 6 shots of those is 582 calories. You can't outrun that poo poo. Especially if you've just had 6 shots of vodka.

It's kinda scary, really.

Yesterday, I was at a local pub watching the hockey world cup with some friends, and afterwards I went to a rock/metal quiz with some other friends.

Over the course of the afternoon and evening, I had two of these:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bud283jovicky-budvar-czech-imported-lager/1316/

One of these (extremely dark and very tasty, BTW):
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/harveys-prince-of-denmark/93506/

And four of these:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/tuborg-gron-green/3201/

That's 1077 calories. One thousand and seventy-seven calories from drinks alone. Add a large serving of full-bodied Irish stew on top of that, and that's probably a full day's worth of calories. gently caress.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 11, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tusen Takk posted:

Linus is a noted douchebag and insufferable shithead but I'm not sure what that post meant either

And I wouldn't want him to be any different. The world is full of mealy-mouthed wishy-washy consensus-seekers, but Linus calls bullshit when he sees bullshit, instead of trying to just smooth it over.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gimpsuitjones posted:

there's probably somewhere else I should ask, but: what do we think of a Toyota Starlet GT turbo?

Tiny turbocharged hatchbacks are awesome.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was at a completely ridiculous 80s-style thrash metal street concert yesterday.

Warpigs Brewpub* and Mikkeller somehow decided to host an old-school free street concert featuring "Stormtroopers of Beer", consisting Danny Lilker (SOD, Nuclear Assault etc.) on bass, Tompa from At The Gates and a dude from Mikkeller's warehouse on vocals, as well as Adde and Jocke from General Surgery on drums and guitar.

They played through the whole Speak English or Die album, as well as some random other thrashy classics. I have never in my life seens a mosh pit start up that quickly and that brutally before in my life. People were flying all over the place, knocking over microphones and poo poo, just going completely insane.

What a goddamn concert that was. And of course Danny Lilker was awesome as always. I may have called him "thrash metal royalty" when I met him last year, and I stand by that 100% :)

* Yes, this place is every bit as awesome as its name suggests :rock:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

Motofest is 4/5th June. This is all a 10 minute walk from my house...

Gon be good. I love how they shut down half of the ring road for it too.

That looks awesome, very similar to the historic grand prix we have every year literally 900 meters from my front door.

This year, we'll have a full 30-car field of legend cars. I am sure it will be utter glorious mayhem in every way.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RIP Bill Hines aka. The Leadslinger :(

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Bill_Hines

He made it to 94 years young, despite slingin' lead and smokin' cigars for most of his life. I first saw him on Monster Garage where he absolutely floored everyone (including me) with his amazing leadwork. The man was one hell of an artist.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

iForge posted:

IOC and CSB approved.

Last night, cursedshitbox's wifey David was hit by a car that ran a red light while walking in a crosswalk. Very few details are confirmed but his left arm is shattered, he has facial lacerations, and some road rash. I have set up a GoFundMe to help with medical expenses, as they are going to be enormous. We do not know at this time if the driver stopped or if anyone saw it. Thank you all in advance!

gently caress :(

I'm not the richest fucker in the world, but it's not like I have to DIY hack belts together from zip-ties or anything, and payday's coming up soon. I threw some money in the pot, I hope they get enough to cover the expenses.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kastein posted:

Broke dudes with belts: Go to the HVAC aisle of Home Depot and buy some of the 3-4 foot long zip ties they have there. They're used to put insulation on ducts and poo poo and make excellent emergency belts.

Wouldn't a cheap belt from a Goodwill or something be cheaper?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kastein posted:

Yeah but they don't come in 30-packs and also make excellent prank material. Ziptie someone's legs to their chair... or to their other leg... or to someone else's leg... or put them on your buddies CV shafts and driveshafts. The list goes on.

Also apparently some goons would need to use two. Daaaamn.

That's true, but I prefer OneSeals for those applications. They're used for securing shipping containers.

Once tightened, they will not come off under any circumstances, you have to cut them off with an angle grinder or a bigass wire cutter. Or bash them off with a crowbar or something, but people tend to not like that option.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Goats are just all-round lovable animals, in my experience. They can be kinda loud, though.

The smell can be an issue, but I'm sure baby goat will get used to it :rimshot:

E: Listen to this cute little bugger :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq7ZrUBlcQA

But that tends to turn into this as they grow older.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIaFtAKnqBU

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 23, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

El Jebus posted:

My wife got to pick her ring. She bought a $35 fake diamond off eBay. "I'd rather go into debt beyond a house and car payment". God drat I love this woman. She then let me get my motorcycle endorsement and barely make money by working on them.

Marry that wo... Oh, right.

That's the way to do it, screw those stupid expensive-rear end rings.

My parents went with basic no-frills gold rings when they got engaged, and they used them as wedding rings, too. There's absolutely no sense in going into debt for jewelry.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Always go cheap on the rings. Go use the money for something worthwhile.

In my parents' case, that was me.

So it's not always something worthwhile :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

scuz posted:

Wanted: Funding for a hog farming/pit BBQ reality show entitled "Oink Master"

Pork stars.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ummm... I need to put my brother's WRC2 car on a big diet. 100kgs heavier than any other car at Rally of Canberra.... I'm honestly wondering how the gently caress a 2007 STI gets to 1607kgs.

Empty beer cans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

meatpimp posted:

Hehe, I think the bigger part of that was that I actually agreed with something that Ozmiander was saying. Ironically, he got put in kitty jail before he could fully appreciate the sentiment.

I know I can be a dickbag, but I'm also an equal opportunity dickbag caller-outer. :smug:

Takes one to know one etc.

;)

• Locked thread