Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

SCA Enthusiast posted:

People who don't take their college education seriously baffle me. You're paying for this and chose the classes you're taking. Why would you gently caress yourself over like that?

e: The craziest thing is that so many problems can be solved by just going to class every drat time.

I used to have dreams toward the tail end of semesters that I had a class that I had just forgotten to go to for months. Fortunately that was never real.

Yes. It's easy to do when you're not paying for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

88h88 posted:

Seeing as this is the AI forum, can I have opinions on the film Speed Racer? Personally I feel it's a massively underrated film, pure joy from start to finish, and oh what a finish it is.

I enjoyed it. I thought the movie was gorgeous and overall fun to watch. The ending wasn't too surprising for me, I remember watching am episode of dexterity lab that parodied speed racer with a similar ending.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

The battery in my Galaxy S4 Mini is bulging in a rather unnerving way, but the new 4th-generation Moto G won't be out for another month or two :emo:

E: Are any of last year's model phone worth a drat? Like the Nexus 5X or Moto X or something? Battery life is important.

The battery isn't user replaceable? If it is, you should be able to pick up a replacement on amazon for like $20

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

T-Square posted:

Oh God, I'm seriously considering leasing a Corolla S+, what have I become?

But 6-speed, also employee pricing :whatup:

My girlfriend has a newer corolla and it's really nice. The cvt is actually pretty good too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tusen Takk posted:

i just did one of those online technical skills thing for a company i applied to and now i feel like a terrible programmer

at least i feel like i did well on the technical skills quiz, but the code reading/writing one :smith:

Yeah, it happens but at least you have an idea of what kind of questions companies could ask you. Go study up and write some more code. Only way to get better is to write more code.

If development doesn't work out, there's always qa or automated testing. I don't know if I'd recommend it but it worked out for me.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

The Locator posted:

I found out in college that I didn't enjoy coding at all, so my life went an entirely different direction. A bit over 5 years ago when I was unemployed because the construction industry was in the dumps completely, I stumbled into a job in QA (thanks to networking from years ago) and it's easily the best job I've ever had, and a perfect fit for me (they pay me to find fault with others, instead of getting upset at me for that!). It doesn't hurt that after only 5 years I'm also making far more money than I ever have in my life.

I had a similar experience or should I have. I've realized that I'm not very good at coding and haven't really put everything I need into to it to get better. I got an automated testing job on a whim and used my experience to get to another company. I've made some moves to get towards development but I'm kind of coming to the realization that I'm good at QA and maybe I should stay here.

More E/N:

Girlfriend got a job in another town a few hours away. I think she's going to take it. I don't know what that means for us. :smith:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Would this be a bad time to ask what you think about Stallman?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

Which was the one that started picking scabs off his foot then eating it sitting on a stage while a lecture was being given?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ

Richard Stallman.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Less gross:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jskq3-lpQnE

Poor microphone.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Great Beer posted:

I was tricked into eating a habanero then touched my face and oh god it just keeps getting worse D:

Be careful going to the bathroom :supaburn:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

:911:

Texas is a magical place, even by American standards.
Although, to be fair, Illinois isn't much better in the way our police handle hit and runs. My grandma had her car totaled by a driver at 3 in the afternoon on the busiest street in the town, she gave a description and full license plate number to the cops, which should be a loving cake walk to find out what happened. All that happened was, about a month later, they called to say that the car that hit her was reported stolen the day of the accident and the trail didn't lead anywhere else.
A month's worth of hard police work to type a 7 character code into a computer that is in the squad car with them, and then to never follow up on the extremely suspicious information it gives out... Being within 10 miles of Chicago, the driver probably was a friend of some politician and that's why it took a month to do 10 minutes worth of work that was immediately given up on afterwards, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating

Ohio might not be better either. My aunt was in a hit and run a few years back, I don't remember the details other than the other person hit her and ran off. When they got home, they then called it into the police. Even though she left the scene, the police didn't count it as a hit and run because she still called it in.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

mungtor posted:

I remember some phone conversations here a couple months ago, and if somebody could give me some advice I'd appreciate it.

I just got a 2nd Gen Moto X (2014) and it's running vanilla Marshmallow on it (6.0, no 6.0.1 update) and it seems a little bland, as well as missing some features like call blocking and better app control. I've started to go down the rabbit hole of ROMs, but I don't know a ton about which ones are good. I was leaning towards Cyanogenmod, probably because it's the only name I recognized. Is that still a good choice? Their latest "stable" builds are in the CM12 series, which seems to be based on Lollipop, and there are only "nightly" builds for CM 13 (MM). I am not an uber phone hacker, I just want something with a little more control that won't crash on me.

I would stick to cyanogenmod. It's one of the few ROMs that have been around for awhile and most likely to be around on the next few months. Nightlies probably aren't that bad as long as you're not updating every night. I recommend using cyandelta for updates.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
There are worse things.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Just plug your tire for now and see where that gets you. It may or may not fix your issue but it's $10 and worth a shot IMO.

You could also try going to another tire shop and see what they say about it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

Car recommendation thread is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I know it isn't a lot but I changed my rear brakes for the first time. Ran into some issues so I didn't get to touch the front brakes. Learned how to adjust the parking brake too.

My question now is what do I do with the old pads and rotors? Can I take them to a store like Autozone?

• Locked thread