Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

NitroSpazzz posted:

Nope none whatsoever. I like dogs, here's Mom's 12 week old pup

Holy poo poo. GIVE THAT DOGGE ALL THE PETTES RIGHT NOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry to hear, dude.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BraveUlysses posted:

Spatchcock your chickens, always.

Incredibly scared to google this while at work.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Strained my back doing God knows what. This sucks

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Damnit....

I did turn 43 today.

Awesome bday present. THANKS OBAMA

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hey. Hey, you...Sciatica. gently caress YOU, buddy.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Weird. Most images linked in peoples posts are only showing up when they're in a quote

da fuq

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

SpaceX landed their first stage on a barge. Again.

I am so drat gay for Elon Musk it's not even funny. And I'm ostensibly a straight dude. What he's doing across all fronts is simply incredible.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkMartial posted:

Seen just now and I think it's cool:

:flashfap:

Those are so bad rear end

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MustardFacial posted:

I will happily take British culture over the current redneck, good ol boy, confederate flag, lifted truck, fuckface culture we currently have.

This is seriously a thing in Canada?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I loving bored.

I feel like I've just hit a wall with anything and everything that brought me enjoyment. I haven't turned my ps4 on in like 4 weeks, completely disinterested in flying (thou last few months bills from the club I'm in probably has something to do with that - which is why I am serious entertaining buying a plane), no car projects look interesting...

There's some home improvement projects I need (and want) to do but I just can't make myself start them.

It's weird. For the first time in a long time I have both the means and time to do just about whatever I want and not really interested in doing anything. Just a rut?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

iwentdoodie posted:

My last year.txt

Not that it's a TON better now, but honestly I just started writing poo poo down. If I want to do it, or need to do it, I wrote it down. Somehow it makes me feel more guilty if I don't. Then once I finally do it, or start it, everything feels right and normal and good.

Its funny you say this as that was an idea that came to mind a few minutes ago. I don't know. I know I'm in a bit of a rut or funk or whatever and there's really no reason to be. Life is, ostensibly, great. So I don't know.

Middle age crisis after turning 43?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MustardFacial posted:

I guess you better get a boat then

I work in, on, and around boats. Last thing I want to do when I get off work is get on a boat.

Wowzer. That's actually pretty loving tempting.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Mustang owner spotted

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I know

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jared592 posted:

I know this is a crazy idea but hear me out: Have you considered....not logging in to Facebook?

I'm not sure whats more insufferable....

People that post 'wrong' things on the internet/facebook...Or the people that have to point out that people are posting the 'wrong' thing on the internet/facebook. But in the end, nothing you say to the person posting the 'wrong' thing will EVER change their mind. And if I poo poo all over the people that had a different attitude or opinion about something as me, I probably wouldn't have any/many friends much less be married.

There's a hint of irony or double entendre or something somewhere in there...

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
To hell with you guys, I'm going to go eat BBQ. Which may be on a salad.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

thebigcow posted:

http://www.troybilt.com/equipment/troybilt/flex

I saw this on TV and it looked really cool. You get a motor on wheels and attachments for a whole bunch of things. I don't know how the pricing works out or how long it would hold up but the idea of only having one small engine to maintain and not having to do a bunch of prep work to store it for half a year sounds nice.

I've looked into it. 300 for the base, then 200 and up for each 'attachment'. I want one for the thatcher and aerator, but can't make myself pull the trigger on it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

thebigcow posted:

Bummer, I should have looked at the price first :(

edit: and $200 for a shelf to put your attachments on

The perspective I'm looking at is this...

A riding mower is going to cost 1000 bucks. Then you still have to get the aerator and thatcher, which is 200-300 each. So your cost is up to around 1500. You could get the flex plus mower, aerator, and thatcher for a total of about 1000.

Or you can spend a couple hundred on a rake for the thatching and aerator drum and do the same thing; just take longer and take more work. Assuming, of course, you have the push mower with a bagger on it.

I guess it comes down to "how much is your time worth".

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cakefool posted:

Could you by a powered version of each tool separately for less?

Maybe? I haven't really looked into them that much. e: oh hey, powered aerators are like 1500 bucks and up. Yikes.

Part of the Flex's appeal is that it is one motor to maintain. Flip side is, if that one motor goes out, your attachments won't work. And you just know they'll come up with a version 2 that won't be compatible with version 1 attachments.

Tide fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 11, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

Or look at it the other way, for only a little more, you could have an actual old tractor.

If I had the land (and storage), hell yeah I'd love a tractor. Sadly, I don't.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Good grief I'm bored

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic posted:

Try being an interesting person.

I AM INTERESTING YOU BIG MEANY GOSH

I laughed

Finding a decent looking 55" single sink vanity that needs to sit flush on the floor (while being secured to the wall) is surprisingly difficult. Apparently the home improvement gods have decided this is a custom order thing. Awesome.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

fyodor posted:

Nothin' wrong with a double double.

Double loving bypass

drat that looks good

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I am pretty sure I'm going to be buying a golf cart for neighborhood banzai blasts. After looking at the customization some people do, I feel like this could be a bottomless money pit I really don't want to go down, but drat if wouldn't be fun.

Tide fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 16, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
4 stroke fuel injected Yamaha 90 hp outboard motor that hasn't been cranked in at 3 years. Plan of action is to:
1. Pull the lower unit, lube everything up
2. Change oil
3. Replace the water pump
4. Pull the tanks, clean them out, replace fuel lines
5. Pull the plugs, put some TCW-3 oil in the cylinders, try and rotate the fly wheel after a day or two.
6. New plugs
7. Check all wiring
8. New fuel lines plus filter(s)
9. New fuel injectors
10. Pray to the outboard motor gods?

Am I missing anything?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

trouser chili posted:

Has it been run in salt?

Yeah, I'm sure it has. For whatever it matters, the engine has about 50 hrs on it. It's an 18' center console. It's basically impossible to buy a boat here on the coast that hasn't been in at least brackish water; which is for the sake of argument salt water.

Tide fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 16, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

trouser chili posted:

Good luck, you're more thorough than I was resurrecting the Honda 130 on my great-uncle's Boston Whaler, similarly it was regularly run in saltwater down Marco Island way. Before he passed away it become too difficult for him to flush after use. Then it sat for 2.5 years while everything sat in legal limbo. I did a lot of what you are describing, but didn't do the water pump, lube the lower end, or fiddle with the tanks (other than draining and refilling). It ate the water pump pretty quickly, within a couple months. About a year later it ate the head gasket and filled the crankcase with seawater. The only usable parts left were the lower end and prop. The motor died with ~300 hours on it. Now it's got a $15,000 Honda 150 and gets flushed every time.

Well...

There's a boat I'm looking at that has sat for 3 years. I've mentioned to him about me buying it and he's finally entertaining the idea of it. I'm going over tonight with a high powered flashlight, a boroscope, and going from bow to stern. It's been covered, but still. There's no telling what horrors await in terms of animals chewing on wiring, etc. 2005 18' SeaPro with a 2005 Yamaha 90 HP 4 stroke.

So, who knows. I may throw down about three thousand in cash on the deck and see what he says.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

trouser chili posted:

Might just be the happiest day of his life.

And or the worst day of mine. Or at least some days down the road.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
For whatever its worth, I messed around a bit with customizing the OS of my phone with cyanogenmod and the like...

Then one day I said gently caress it and let it install the 'regular' OS and have never been happier. I guess it comes down to:
1. Can I surf the web
2. Can I stream music/video
3. Can I make calls
4. Can it go on facebook, awful forums, whatever

If the answer is yes to all those, then the 'regular' OS is just fine by me and i don't ever have to worry or gently caress with it. It's surprisingly liberating and or cathartic for it to just work. Which I suppose is why I've gone to the dark side and use all Apple products these days.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Best new midsize SUV with at least 3,000 lb towing capacity and won't cry if taken on a dirt road: GO

First choice is a Ford Explorer, distant second is GMC Acadia, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the back is a Dodge Durango or Jeep Grand Cherokee. Nissan axed the XTerra, I cannot get past the front end/grill of the new 4Runner, and the Pathfinder is just...blah.

I know mechanically, the 4Runner is probably the way to go. But drat is it ugly.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

Hang the feeder on one of those metal poles you stick in the ground, and then grease the pole with PAM or something similar. You're welcome.

Better idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_09N0X8P9WM

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhh6Crj1I8I

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've spent a couple hours at work today going down the Area 51 / UFO / MK Ultra rabbit holes. Has been some seriously entertaining reading. What are some of the better sites for catching up on stuff like that? Better being relative, of course. Like, places that have a reputation for making a compelling argument or evidence rather than the ones that are full throttle :tinfoil: tomfoolery.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Am I the on,y one that thinks The Godfather trilogy is overrated?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic posted:

Or, and go with me on this, maybe get her what she wants because you love her and understand that what you find important and what she finds important may not be mutually inclusive.

I love you in, like, the most manly, hetero way possible.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I like a watch. I don't always carry my phone everywhere I go and when I do, its in my back pocket. Belt holsters or whatever are for NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERDS.

And I guess I'm a bit of a watch geek in that I have about 8 I wear with regularity.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tusen Takk posted:

I wear an Apple Watch because it is a good watch and a good fitness tracker

I really want an Apple Watch, but waiting until the next gen if I end up getting one.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Found a Filipino restaurant last night. So so good.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MustardFacial posted:

Dudes. I have a daughter. Let's hope I don't gently caress it up.

Awesome, congratulations!

You will find patience and energy you never knew you had. There's nothing like being a father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bolind posted:

What did you have? I'm personally all about lechon kawali, pork adobo and pancit.

MustardFacial, congrats on the daughter!

Pancit, pork lumpia rolls, sinanglay, and pinakbet. We just kind of ate everything.

• Locked thread