Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Just gonna drop this in here (from the Craigslist thread) because this car is just down the street from me and I've been dying to ask if they'll sell it, turns out they are and I'm just losing my poo poo over here.

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's not on craigslist, it's just down the street. 1982 Datsun 280ZX

Doesn't run, but I can't find any rust or anything. Theoretically needs a new fuel pump, god knows what else it might need. They're asking $1000, I intend to offer $600.

Edit: just got off the phone with the owner. He said he parked it 10 years ago. At that time, he could get it to run by feeding fuel to the engine, but it couldn't pump it from the tank--he figures the fuel pump was clogged. He also says the transmission would pop out of reverse; how unique were these transmissions? (were they also in the pickups?)

This seems like an exquisitely bad idea but I'm also kinda at half-mast over here already. It's not visible in the pictures but after 10 years in the sun, the rear view mirror plastic basically crumbled and is spread all over the floor. Luckily they had louvres on the back, a cover on the (already-cracked) dash, so only the front seats got turbo-hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cakefool posted:

I assume because this was posted in the past you now own this?

I'll be talking to the owners later today... for whatever reason it's been sitting at the house across the street for 10 years, and those people had a yard sale today which is how I found out it's for sale.

I already had a brief phone conversation with the owner, who said when he parked it, he could get it to run by feeding fuel directly but it wouldn't draw from the tank. He also mentioned the popping out of reverse thing. He said they received their new duplicate title yesterday.

I intend to offer $500 in view of it sitting 10 years, needs new tires, needs new rubber, probably needs a transmission. I've got cash on hand and will roll it to my driveway as soon as we make a deal, which should be tempting to them--no hassle on their part.

Edit: If I buy this car, can I buy stupid pants and blather on about euphoria, or is that reserved for 300ZX owners?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Fuckin' a. That happen tonight? Everybody ok?

The deer's probably not doing so hot

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Just gonna drop this in here (from the Craigslist thread) because this car is just down the street from me and I've been dying to ask if they'll sell it, turns out they are and I'm just losing my poo poo over here.

This seems like an exquisitely bad idea but I'm also kinda at half-mast over here already. It's not visible in the pictures but after 10 years in the sun, the rear view mirror plastic basically crumbled and is spread all over the floor. Luckily they had louvres on the back, a cover on the (already-cracked) dash, so only the front seats got turbo-hosed.

Update: the owner said I can have it for $500 if I want it. Have to see if my wife will approve... I also think I'd better check if the engine is seized before I hand over the $$$.

If the clutch pedal is all the way on the floor (because the clutch cylinder or something is hosed), does that mean the clutch is engaged or disengaged? Wondering if I might be able to just put it in 5th and try to roll it forward, see if the engine turns at all. Otherwise I guess I'll pull the plugs and try to turn it by hand.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

If the engine is seized, it's doing you a favor and trying to make you do an engine swap. The only way I'd own another 280ZX would be if I was doing a full on engine swap, or at the very least trashing the K-Jet for either carbs or a Megasquirt. gently caress that K-Jet.

But the L28 looks really cool...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

"And little Hurly Burly gave my anus Curly Wurly..."
- Manfred Mann

I hate that loving song.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

QuarkMartial posted:

The bullying continues!

Took two days (Mon and Tues) to visit my mother (haven't seen her since Jan, and sunday was her bday and mother's day) and take my licensing test. Now the principal suspects I'm abusing my sick time and wants a doctor's note for those two days. rear end in a top hat.

So I am getting my doctor to fax one over. Two can play this game.

So you took sick time to do not-being-sick things, and the principal suspects you're doing so, and he's the rear end in a top hat?

But at least you're getting a doctor to lie for you, that's good.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

meatpimp posted:

"as amazing as yours" is pandering. That'd turn me off if I saw it.

Agreed, that section is just fine without the final little bit. "I very much hope I can take these first steps with Spacely Sprockets" would also help, that way it doesn't feel like a completely generic resume.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775698

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Where's the best place to get a cheap but not total garbage battery? The Datsun needs a Group 24 and I'm mostly finding stuff around $80-85 after core refund, and that's a Valucraft from Autozone.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Costco and Walmart seem to have the best prices on batteries these days. And at least with Costco, there's zero bullshit with the inevitable warranty exchange.

Costco, that's what I was forgetting! I'll call them in the morning to make sure they have the right size but otherwise it's perfect, the store is right along my route to work.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

I got asked to clarify an order I wrote down for a "medium black coffee", I think there may be a bit of a cultural divide between myself and a co-workers.

"No sugar? No cream? No caramel? No stevia, steamed milk, cocoa powder, whipped cream? Freak."

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

fyodor posted:

Nothin' wrong with a double double.

Well, looks like I'm getting a burger for lunch. Not In-N-Out, because there aren't any in New Mexico, but I'll find something.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cakefool posted:

So I thought getting into archery would be a fun little hobby, then I borrowed a bow I might buy and the club staff all nerded out hard setting it up for me, there are spreadsheets and everything. I spent the hours and shot like 60 arrows max.

Now it's pilsner and Archer to relax.

What kind of bow? I much prefer shooting a recurve over a compound, at least for the target shooting I did back in college. The recurve felt a lot more intuitive to me, in that I could feel out where the arrow would go without messing with sighting or anything.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm 40 minutes into The Cannonball Run and they're just now getting the race started, get your poo poo together guys.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

There's actually an archery range on site at work, which is pretty cool. I've never used it, don't own a bow.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

fyodor posted:

Guys we only have so much discretionary cash to add some sort of facility for the employees. Basketball court? Gym?

Aah yes that's a great one! Archery course!

It used to be a pistol range.

My employer has a lot of unused land, and as far as I can tell the range is maintained solely out of the small membership fee... I mean, it's a gravel parking lot, a dozen dirt lanes with straw bales at the end, and some benches to set your poo poo on.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

- My mother-in-law is staying with us to help with the up-coming baby. She has been making us tons of Indian food which tastes great but is making me poo poo constantly.

Ask her if she can cut down the amount of oil she uses. She wants to make it really good for you guys which in Indian culture means plenty of butter and oil, but the sheer quantity can disrupt your bowels if you're not used to it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This thread over the past 2 days:

"gently caress boomers for not leaving the workforce" :qq:

"Ageism kicks out people over 50 and makes it so they can't reenter the workforce" :qq:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

keykey posted:

The easiest way to describe and deal with SharePoint is MS office multiplayer edition. Except it requires the SharePoint server, an Ms SQL server, a front end appliance, a load balancing server, and a server for backups. And your company still has to pay for loving office on top of it which is essentially what it was meant to integrate with. So, it's an enterprise appliance suite meant to play multiplayer word with. All at the low introductory price of at least 50k for hardware and low 100k's for software. That's not even a person to maintain the goddamn thing and yearly maintenance fees. It's a bloated out piece of poo poo that's a jack of all trades, yet a master of none. Best of all, out the gate it was an antiquated piece of poo poo that could have been accomplished for free with Google docs/other poo poo.

Oh, also just wait until upper management finds workflows plugins that make your life hell they can't live without that will cripple everything you've tried to do. Oh, also enable the ms access switch, you'll thank me later. Also if it isn't enabled out the gate, you're hosed if you ever want to switch it on.. You have to rebuild it from the ground up and try to restore your site.

We occasionally get signup forms and surveys in SharePoint at work. People always manage to fill out the master form that you're supposed to get a copy of when you do it right, so you have to delete Sharon from Accounting before you can put in your info.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ilkhan posted:

This is what normal people have a whole collection of credit cards for.

Didn't you know that by touching a credit card you will immediately go into a fugue state and buy $50,000 worth of poo poo? At least, that seems to be what 50% of AI believes.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Gerblederp posted:

My dad just phoned to inform me that he has acquired 3 corvairs of dubious quality. I've never even seen 1 in the wild so this should be cool.

I don't know why he did this since he still has 2 MGBs to work on but I'd have a hard time turning it down too. Guess I'd better go take some pictures this weekend.

That's pro-level dad right there.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bloody Queef posted:

I feel like this doesn't warrant it's own thread and doesn't fit into the BFC AI thread, so I'm throwing it here. Feel free to yell at me for being in the wrong spot.

For my 30th birthday, my wife rented me a 73 Fiat 850 Spider. Fell in love with the car with the exception of it having absolutely zero power. Great braking feel had to really apply pressure to the pedal to stop, the steering feel was pretty heavy, except at high speeds, throttle required effort to depress etc. The things that made the car hard to drive and objectively "bad" were what made me want to start the hunt for a classic car.

So I've been looking for something with the same driving feel with more power. Wife wants a convertible. I drove a great looking 79 Alfa Spider today and was really disappointed. Power was good enough, but the brakes, throttle and clutch just felt really loose and numb. Very unlike the connected feeling of the 850 spider. The Fiat felt like a motorcycle with 4 wheels (and no power)

What else should I look at? Spitfire and the Spridget seem to be too down on power for me. MGB and Fiat 124 Spider I imagine will feel the same.

TR6?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bloody Queef posted:

E: I'm going to have to buy a first gen miata, aren't I?

Well, it's a very small convertible made by the Japanese in the tradition of the old British sports cars, so it'll just run and not drip oil all the drat time... Just buy the Miata. Oh and a reasonable Miata should cost less than a decent example of any older car. I like the first gen best because of the headlights.

I have a Midget and it's cool but up here at 5,000+ feet it's quite gutless. Cute, though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Negromancer posted:

Glad I am not the only one. My stepdad left a old but well kept gas lawn mower at the house when we bought it and I can not for the life of me get that POS to run. I am just about to order an electric one off amazon. Maybe when I buy a house with some property I will get a big gas powered lawn mower, but my current house is on a 5,000 sq/ft lot so its just not worth the hassle.

Speaking of home ownership, just spent the last couple hours pulling plants and poo poo out of the front yard of our house with my wife. I found a nerf dart in one of the bushes I removed that I am pretty sure was lost in there by me and my brothers 20+ years ago.

Any suggestions for any software to help design a small building? I am trying to finalize the design for a 10x10ft detached office I am building in my backyard, and just wanted something other than graph paper. I was messing around with sketchup, but it just seems overkill for what I want and I can't quite wrap my head around it. I should probably also figure out somewhere to post my basic plans just to be sure I am not being stupid, though I am pretty sure I am going to over build it.

I designed a house in drafting class in high school... It was just a matter of figuring out code requirements, then drawing the wall frames to match. Then you just throw some prebuild trusses up top for the roof, slab floor, boom. All drawn out with pencil and a t-square and a drafting scale, not too difficult once you figure out the rules.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SCA Enthusiast posted:

:sweden: They are magical beyond your wildest dreams :sweden:

I'll probably start a thread before too long.

Please do, and post a link in here.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

It saddens me that you had the cinderblocks oriented like that. For shaaaame.

Given the level of rust he deals with, the Jeep probably only weighs 500 lbs or so.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Even a stopped clock etc. etc.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Or, and go with me on this, maybe get her what she wants because you love her and understand that what you find important and what she finds important may not be mutually inclusive.

"Hey, you're not one of those SHALLOW WHORES who wants a big engagement ring or a fancy wedding, right? We should save the money for something more important."

"N... No, it's fine."

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

He's not talking 'not supposed to have your phone in here'. He's talking bring in your phone and you will never see it again, do it a couple times and lose your job.

Some places, they toss it in the electronics chipper after confiscating it! Fun times.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I don't usually wear a watch because the metal tends to irritate my skin after wearing it for a week or two. I have a $11 Target watch that I put on occasionally, and a Pulsar I got for Christmas years back that I wear when I want to look a little more dressed up. My wife got me a Pebble a few years ago and I feel really guilty because I never wear it... can't have Bluetooth devices at work, and turning off Bluetooth makes it into a normal wristwatch I have to charge weekly.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cakefool posted:

If the metal of watch bands irritates you you may have a nickel sensitivity. Either get a fabric/leather/plastic strap or buy a watch with a guaranteed no-nickel content strap.

Actually it seems to be the back of the watch body most of the time; the doctor said I might have a nickel sensitivity back when I was a kid and the button on my jeans would give me a rash unless I tucked in my shirt. The cheapo Target watch has a stainless steel back so welp, nickel. I've thought about coating the back with some sort of epoxy, or clear nail polish, or something.

My wife got me a titanium chain years back (not sure why, I've never been much for jewelry) and when I wore it for a few days I got a rash on the back of my neck. I assumed it was just from the chain rubbing but maybe there was some nickel alloyed in it too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

Just picked up a 9lb brisket to throw on tomorrow. Can't loving wait.

There is zero good BBQ in California, and it has been way too loving long since I smoked a brisket. Actually probably about 8 years.

Edit: also found a sweet 2 Live Crew single released before the explicit content warning was required on it.

There was a tiny but great BBQ place out in Livermore, but they went out of business. Their sauce was transcendent. Couldn't compete with the huge flashy new spot that opened up downtown, though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

I like the ones where 90 percent of the topics are "performance" mods for models for which performance mods are completely illogical. And the mods are dubious at best.

Any time their car of choice appears in any form of media they must defend its honor. Both in the forums and by posting comments offsite

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is the tire not covered by warranty?

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

Two legit things my MIL said to me:

"Don't sweep up now, it's bad luck to sweep at night"
"Turn the Air Conditioning on. Cold air makes that baby's skin fairer."

Both times I laughed in her face and walked away. I want this loving nutcase out of my house.

Indian mother in laws what up.

She may want to put a knife under the baby's pillow, I recommend acquiring a stiff folding knife if your wife wants it too.

This is the price you're paying for eager babysitting at any time :haw:

Edit: tell her no Fair & Lovely on the baby. Indian people get really weird about fair skin.

• Locked thread