Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

literally a fish posted:

Your theme music for this morning's commute and this month's thread, TURBO KILLER;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er416Ad3R1g

Thanks. Nice tune!. Reminds me of the first Justice album, which I loved.

Having read up on Carpenter Brut, it looks like they are a live band too which includes members of some great French metal bands (Klone and Hacride). Gonna be an interesting live gig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah we were both still learning about the phone, you have to enable find my phone to find your phone. I know that now, if we replace it or get lucky with lost and found, we'll set that up first thing.

In two and a half years this is only the second time she's ever lost a phone. She's really beating herself up over it too. I fuckin warned her and warned her, this is a phone people WANT to steal. It might have actually been stolen out of her locker.

I got a new second-hand iphone a few weeks ago and it was enabled by default once I reset it. Have you checked by logging into https://www.icloud.com/ with the account you set it up against?

For future reference the 'find my iphone' feature is actually pretty good. When you reset an iphone or change the SIM card it tries to activate against the apple activation servers and wont do it if it is still on someone else's account and you are left with a phone you can't use.

I bought a second hand one recently and it was blocked until the PO removed it from their online icloud account. You can mark phones as lost or stolen on there too, which I assume also black lists them.

I bet there is a way round this, but suspect it is a pain and will probably have to be repeated every time the phone is upgraded (which is also now automatic..)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

iwentdoodie posted:

Seeing Fear Factory tonight. Cannot loving wait.

I saw them with Devin Townsend a couple of years ago. It was good. However my most memorable bit of Fear Factory was just after they finished, when an endless looping rendition of 'cars' kicked off in the crowd, and kept going for a good 10 minutes.

It was a packed gig, so there was a slow moving queue to get out of the main room and into the bogs and then to the bar area and back before Devin Townsend was on. This turned into a massive 'cars' conga line with the singing carrying on through the duration of the toilet queues and then back out and during the bar queues. They didn't even play it in their set.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

iwentdoodie posted:

That's loving awesome. The last time I saw them was in....04? With Chimera and Arch Enemy, and that was in a 2500 cap theatre. Tonight is a ~400 cap bar. But I did see Burton C Bell doing an encore set during a Ministry show.

Tonight they're playing Demanufacture in its entirety, apparently most shows have been 11 songs then a 7-8 song encore set. So excited.

Should be a good night out! I think Demanufacture is my favourite album due to how many hours I spent playing carmageddon in my teens!

I also went to a gig tonight to see The Moulettes, who are apparently classified as "chamber/psychedelic/prog/folk-Rock" . They are awesome, and the venue was also very nice.
I usually go to loud metal gigs in generally lovely venues so this was a nice change!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

So I thought getting into archery would be a fun little hobby, then I borrowed a bow I might buy and the club staff all nerded out hard setting it up for me, there are spreadsheets and everything. I spent three hours and shot like 60 arrows max.

Now it's pilsner and Archer to relax.

I'm so sad that the club here are twats :( can I drive over your way and join yours?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

I think you all need to block corn.

I have almost come to enjoy corn's posts now due to the reaction he gets. They are like traps laid to catch people who reply without first checking who made the post.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Saw the new Doom game and it looks good.

However I built my PC about 18-24 months ago and it now only just meets the minimum specs :(

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I've been rebuilding my dashboard today.

Behind the now-empty clock hole is my new brake fluid reservoir, which I can fill with a funnel (it used to have a remote reservoir on an expensive master cylinder. Now it has a normal cheap landrover larger bore combined unit!)

I want to make an easily removable cover for the hole. any good ideas on how to do it?

I was wondering if i could make it from steel and then use some magnets to keep it on there (the rest of the dash is ally, so i'd have to attach them behind it and make them strong)

Once I've worked out how to cover it, I want to mount a couple of gauges to the cover (just on a long wire). I've got a small LED strip fuel gauge and a flat digital Air/fuel gauge - so its got to be solid!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

Is this the 101? I have to come see this at some point. I'd try to make a bayonet/screw fitting plug but I don't know how hard it'd be to mount something behind the hole that's bigger than the hole.

Yeah, maybe magnets.

Give me a couple of weeks and it might run again! (or atleast turn over and backfire a bit while I swear at the LPG vaporiser!). Do you have any experience of using oxy-acetylene? (I need to re-bend my gear linkage)

We should meet up for a pint sometime. I'm getting tempted to take the roof off my series 2 this summer (i've had the hardtop on for the last 3 or 4 years and I miss going topless), and as soon as I do that I need people to meet in the pub when its warm and dry!

I'm think I might buy a pack of these - ebay adhesive magnets and stick some onto the back side of the dash and use them to hold a mild steel plate that is bigger than the hole. I can just mount things to it and leave a long wire.

A screw fitting plug would be impractical for having things mounted on it (and wired in). Bayonet would be good but I'm just not sure how well i could build something that would work nicelt (I guess I could file 2 'keys' into the hole and use them to lock a cover in place...)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Safety Dance posted:

My upstairs neighbors discovered that, if you pay a contractor money, they will annoy me with a hammer drill all day long.

On a similar note, they are building new houses just behind my house and every loving morning they spend around an hour and a half from 7am getting all the deliveries for the day, moving the plant around (seemingly constantly in reverse so it beeps or talks) and shuffling building materials about into the car park so they are not in the way (till it all goes back behind the fence at 4pm). By about 8:30am it goes almost silent once everybody is actually working (They must be close to second fix now so the actual work isnt very noisy).

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Anybody dissing the Ronal Bears ITT should leave AI.
They are available in the right Pcd for my Saab. One day I shall win some on eBay!

Rhyno posted:

New question. How do I move this heap 100 feet without a tow truck?

Go buy a 4 wheeled sack trolley and just jack it up and drop the front end onto the trolley. Instant movable car. I had to get my Saab mobile when I was half way through swapping the engine and box and had removed the entire hub and axle assembly. Sack trolley worked well and they are always useful to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Having a watch means you can tell the time without having to have a phone with you, which can be quite pleasant.

• Locked thread