Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oddly, I've been looking at 1st gen mazda 6s as my safe and sane option. Too bad a stick and a sunroof seems to be an impossible set of options. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

QuarkMartial posted:

Shut down a door to door scammer type guy. Knocked on my door just now, I stepped out to meet him.

'Hi, I'm so and so from the company [I don't even think he specified...] and we are an independent contractor and don't provide services...'
"Okay."
'We've been getting a lot of complaints about rates going up, and we work with the big companies and people to help compare rates so you get the best price.'
"Okay..
'Now you're with us on the cable, right?'
[Us? I thought you didn't provide service...]
"I didn't say who I was with."
'Oh. Well you'
"Have a nice day."
As I'm going in I hear him go, 'Well I'm sorry you can't get a lower rate...'

We've had a couple of those come into the store and get shutdown by me. I could use one to vent on right now though, holy gently caress.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wtf str, you live in texas. Just sit on the porch and watch the funnel cloud pass over you with a bong in one hand and a beer in the other like the god drat Texan you are. You're supposed to be completely indifferent to this poo poo.

Also, the insurance company claims there is no damage to the fuse box, so my truck might be repairable. On one hand, I might get to keep my rolling plastic shitbox, but with electrical issues cropping up all the time. On the other hand I was all psyched to fund myself a cheap mazda 6 with a stick. :(

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I had to spend an hour and a half entertaining a literally brain damaged customer that claimed his 2012 mustang was like totally custom designed and original (because it had metallic blue stripes and a custom shift knob) and any like it were just copying him, he was totally in like 10 different magazines man. Everyone he knew told him not to cover it in cheesey fake chrome skulls from "that aisle" of the parts store, but he wanted me to hold his hand and tell him it would make him the most badass and unique motherfucker on the road. Then he told us how his son could kick anyones rear end and broke ten jaws in ten barfights all in the same night because he was a chip off the old block, because his son could gently caress any chick he wanted to, just like his old man. It just went on and on, with me and my co-worker slowly feeling more and more uncomfortable, confused and genuinely sorry for the guy. In the end you could tell he was a lonely, confused 50 year old dude whose family couldn't take it anymore and cut ties. Just, holy gently caress man, I'm glad I have the next two days off.

Edit: And someone please shoot me if I ever get to that point in my life.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 7, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sokay, I found out I spent 6 months importing info from a resume that had an incorrect phone number.

Also, this dumb rental 200 has an anti-burnout setting. It won't rev past 2500 with me holding the brakes. :commissar:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I may stab the next fucker to come in here tonight and throw a bitch fit that I won't return their obviously used parts. You stuck the battery in a vehicle with high compression and a high and ran it down while trying to crank it. gently caress you, you installed the shoe and drove on it for a month before saying you didn't want it, and its missing half the hardware kit. gently caress you, you were told there was a freight charge you old bastard, quit being a complete shitheel.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Great Beer posted:

I was tricked into eating a habanero then touched my face and oh god it just keeps getting worse D:

Drink some milk or eat some yogurt.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I decided I needed to get the gently caress out of the house for a while, so I went for a drive. About 50-60 miles round trip, took me around 2 hours. Went out to fort island park at the end of crystal river, then drove back on a bunch of back roads. I learned 3 things, I really want a decent handling wagon or hatch with about 180-200hp if I get rid of my avalanche, I really need to get my boat working again and hot dodge dart hatchback with a stick would be a fun thing to drive. Even the 200 did well for being a rental spec with a auto that has 9 loving gears. (Why does it have 9 gears, jesus christ chrysler)

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 15, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

fyodor posted:

Why do you want a mopar hatchback specifically?

I like terrible cars and bad ideas. And I really like the front end of the new dart. :shrug:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Tusen Takk posted:

Aren't they discontinuing the Dart

It seems so, but ending it with a hot version that has the demon name plate will make me happy. Mostly because someone I know gets really angry about the newer darts and says that they don't deserve to have the dart name. He had a dart in the late 70's and didn't like it when I pointed out that they both were basic economy cars.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Dealership somehow put all the magic smoke back in the truck, and due to nagging from me found the source of the fire. After asking them to inspect a certain section of wiring harness due to smoke and heat coming from that area, they put the truck back on a lift and noticed the positive battery cable was routed wrong and caused it to rub on the steering shaft, causing the insulation on the wire to wear away and finally cause a short. They claim it had to happen during a steering box or rack and pinion swap, but those parts are still the original ones from the factory with 0 work being done in that area. That means the wire somehow lasted 145k miles and 10 years of rubbing against the steering shaft. As for long term effects that may not be noticed, I've got a co-worker with a hate boner for insurance companies and works for his families shop who is perfectly alright with telling my insurance that any electrical issue is tied to this and an insurance agent that agreed to having the shop of my choice determine if any electrical issues I suffered were a result of this. I feel alot better about having my plastic turd back at least. :toot:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A good friend of mine passed today. He wrecked his motorcycle in the wet, and knowing him, alcohol was likely involved. Dude was pretty AI and had a bright blue R32 skyline as a daily driver for a while. I had been blowing him off due to work for a while, now I really regret it. Go out with your friends and hang out, shoot some pool or whatever. You never know whats gonna happen. :smith:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

If its still up after my next paycheck, I'll throw some money his way. In the mean time I'm broke enough I just made a belt out of a plastic clip off of a backpack, a tie down strap and some fishing line because my only properly fitting belt decided tonight was a good time to break.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Levi 559s or bust. Hard to tear, look nice and last me years for ~$35 on sale, ~$25 if I find 'em at an outlet mall. :colbert:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

And only costs like $300 :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

fyodor posted:

Wait, this?

No, that looks like the one ton or tranny jack. Also, You got a hell of a deal then scuz, because I can't buy it that cheap on employee pricing. :colbert:

Also, net weight is 108lbs including packaging. I know because I lost a sale a week ago to a customer complaining about how heavy it was and how the mechanics in his shop wouldn't use it, because apparently he hires 12 year old girls. He was not impressed when I shrugged my shoulders and said its the same size as the 30-40 year old one I use at home.

EDIT: I guess its $200. Either way, $100 is cheaper than I get it, so gently caress you. :mad:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 25, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've wondered how well those jacks hold up, the low profile one would be nice for the mercedes and other stuff that comes through my garage on occassion and is cheaper than the horrible freight option. If I ever get rid of the truck or buy a project, I guess I know what I'm getting.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lol, we just went from a little understaffed to insanely understaffed. Had 2 people quit for full time positions elsewhere. One with a two weeks notice that we had worked out by covering ourselves very thin, the other with nothing but a note dropped on the desk while he was in buying poo poo with his employee account. The flake gave notice and the insanely polite and dependable dude dropped the note, go figure. And in the middle of all this mess, I've got to sclep my rear end down to lakeland for a full day to loving go to a corporate mandated training session on the job I've already been doing for the last 6 months. And its all right before the store managers vacation she has to take or lose for the year. May 2016 can :fuckoff:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Dependable people don't often just go like that. Were I you, I'd be asking myself what they know that you don't.

Its likely to do with the fact that he got an offer of full time hours, benefits and a higher hourly rate, but had to start immediately. He was the only part time counter person left doing it as a primary source of income. All our other part timers are semi-retired or are doing it as a second job. He's still a good guy and I'd get beers with him or something. :shrug:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Drive that nova at least once as is before you stick the lq4 in it. :(

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Protip: when replacing the knock sensors on a 5.3, make sure you leave everything connected for easy reassembly so it holds the intake manifold directly in the way of everything and makes the job take much longer

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Quit holding the stick so close to the piece you're trying to weld. Thats part of why you kept getting the rod stuck like that.

Edit: and a slight back and forth motion perpindicular to the direction you are welding will also help to give a nice smooth weld.

Edit 2: Also, hold the rod at a 45° angle to what you're working on.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 31, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Cool, thanks.

Np. I made alot of those same mistakes when our shop teacher was teaching me on the school's arc welder. You can make some really nice looking welds with one with a bit of practice. I think you also need to adjust the current on the box for the size of the stick you were using, but I'm not sure. Its been 12 years since I tried setting it up, but hand placement, holding the rod and hand motions got drilled into me hard from being so terrible at it. At least until my classmates got us all banned from welding for making knives/swords and destroying the welding cubicle things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

It's like when top gear went to Florida and got the redneck Stig.

This is the worse version of SAC.

Nah, he's still bad by florida standards.

• Locked thread