Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Garbage Dick posted:

I'm trying my first personally cooked meat/anything actually in almost 3 years :ohdear:

I love cooking chicken this way. Olive oil and a bit of salt, pepper and oregano make the skin taste super good :btroll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

A lot of goons like both cats and cars so when I saw this sticker I thought of you all: http://www.itashastyle.us/product/neko

Tangentially (since it says 'neko'), I find it very interesting that the a lot of younger kids and car kids consider anime cool. I mean, I enjoy it as much as the next neckbeard (and it's totally ok if you hate it, whatever), but the absorption of it into American streetwear and the strong presence of Japanese streetwear in America isn't something I would have ever guessed would happen. I think I'm kind of happy about it in the same way that I'm happy about computers no longer being only the domain of the 'nerds' like when I was a kid, but being widely accepted... And really anyone just being able to (within reason) be into whatever they want.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

If you have an e-mail address and they're interested they'll get in touch with you.

And no one gives a poo poo about a reference number in a cover letter. It's all about skimming the resume, so you'll be fine (source: hiring IT people myself).

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Slavvy posted:

It's about time they start paying you back for all the mickey mouse cowboy baseball apple pie horseshit you infected their culture with after dropping the bomb.

Jeez dude. You all right?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

We love to ask candidates to explain some random coding challenge in front of a group of 5 of us and I always feel so drat bad for these poor bastards because that's hard poo poo right there. Most of the time in reality the answer is "Uh, let me research it for an hour and I'll then fix it without explaining it" and they've got to do the direct opposite in front of a bunch of critical and smug engineers and systems architects who all have their own preferred method for doing something that could satisfactorily be done 4 different ways. If you don't feel like a terrible coder after every interview, you're not trying for challenging enough positions.

Agreed and I think that goes for most jobs, not just coding. At least, it goes if you're trying to push yourself and get something where you'll be able to learn and grow over the course of years.

Funny story for the job hunters, early in my IT career I applied for a position with a gaming developer that makes adventure games for the Playstation. The ad listed it as "system admin with light script work". The interview started well, I solved their puzzles (like psuedo coding the Fibonacci sequence), had a good lunch with them and seemed to fit in... Only to get chewed out by the CEO at the end because the sample script I had given them was one someone else had started that I then took and modified up and down to fit my needs. He had it in his head that it should be from scratch (even though that wasn't specified as a requirement) and was spergy about it even though the script part was only something like 10% of the job. At the end I just stared at him and said "uhhh, it sounds like you want a programmer not a systems administrator" :haw:.

Good luck guys! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

Yes it is, aside from the "sorry".

Any suggestions on how to rip audio from Google Voice easily?

e: :doh: you can download voicemails directly from GV. mp3 here

Hah, iTunes played that, then launched right into "Old Wizard" by Dawnbringer. Quite the intro! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cjDTuYiJ6o

• Locked thread