Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Good morning everyone, have some wake up music: https://youtu.be/iF8gVd_KM88

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

literally a fish posted:

my grandma passed away this morning :smith:

I'm sorry for your loss. No matter the circumstances, it's always hard.

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm terribly sorry about your son's rearend.

Best quote of the day.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I never thought I'd learn something from Archer, along with being entertained...

Thomas Edison really did electrocute an elephant to demonstrate how AC current was unsafe (granted, he fed the elephant 6600V, which is ridiculous overkill). Plus, he shot video of it: :nsfw: obviously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoKi4coyFw0

:dogbutton:

If it died, it would be with lord. If it lived, it would have obviously been a witch and would have been stoned to death.

Jared592 posted:

Yeah, Edison was a huge rear end in a top hat and did all manner of disgusting poo poo to show the "dangers of alternating current!!!!". I don't buy into the Tesla hero-worship but at least he wasn't intentionally electrocuting animals.

Sometimes I wonder if Tesla really is the first internet generation folk hero.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Cage posted:

Just trying to help. :shrug:

I felt your response was fairly straight forward. Then again, I also have no idea what's wrong with just giving somebody an incomplete which is what they want either.. Maybe vanity is getting in Mr. Pimps way of actually giving somebody what they want since it's not an a-f anyway? :shrug:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So at the end of three years I'm now up to 40,573 kms

Goddamn, that's quite an achievement!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

Anyone here churn, or do all of you have really lovely credit scores?

Not that I'm aware of and no. What's a churn?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

That's awesome. I was looking at that Sapphire Preferred but I couldn't pass up that Southwest deal.... 110k points in three-ish months and the wife flies free.

Using sign-up awards and points accruals for credit cards to your advantage. Free airfare, flight status, free hotels, cash back, etc.

Oh OK, then yes I do I just stick with a couple these days. Back in my day we just called those rewards cards.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Agreed until this morning. Woke up, albeit with not enough sleep, opened the shower door with the same hand that my phone was in, it went for a swim in the toilet. Got to the gas station, put gas in the car and realized half way through I hit the 87 octane button instead of 91. Now my car hates me and I need to drive another 3 days until I can put 91 back in and make it happy again.. To recap, pissy car and I'm on a windows phone for the next 24-48 hours. Then I'm sure May will pick back up again.

jamal posted:

Got charged by a bear with a cub today, that was pretty exciting.

You know you've been going to SF too much lately when you read that in a completely different way.

keykey fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 4, 2016

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Phone news:

The plot thickens - It's still missing, but there is a security camera that points at my daughter's locker, so we'll know for sure in a day or two whether she lost it or someone took it. She's confident it was in there and stolen so we'll see.

What kind of phone?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

I just bought my daughter a brand loving new iphone se 64,

Did you login to icloud and try find my iPhone?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

We've been through this.

Oh. I missed that part. Welp, that sucks. Did we already cover him calling the number to see if anybody answers?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Im watching bout a thousand fit women race at a triathlon. Oh and also on three weeks holiday. (On volunteer race crew )

About a year ago we were in Santa Cruz and there was an Ironman/woman event going on. Anyway we were on a beach and this girl came up and started chatting me up. Then my wife walked up and she got super awkward. It was harious.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

fyodor posted:

Dear Penthouse Forum,

Honestly, they're not my type anyway. And it was before I started stressing the gently caress out about my mom's situation so I was fairly fit at the time. Now I'm fairly typical goon since I gained 40 lbs since poo poo went downhill.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

fyodor posted:

I just imagined how that situation could've gone sexily instead of awkward. :(

Sorry to disappoint. Fit is sexy. Vascular, to me, isn't. :(

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Don't do that poo poo. Its bad for you.

I'm completely aware of that. In any case the majority of family related stress is over. It's nice to not have to think about possible time left with.a parent. I can finally get back to working on me again.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

QuarkMartial posted:

Seen just now and I think it's cool:

That's amazing!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

WHERE MY SAFESPACE?!?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Tide posted:

Mustang owner spotted

That statement works perfect with your avatar.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Jared592 posted:

I know this is a crazy idea but hear me out: Have you considered....not logging in to Facebook?

C'mon.. That'd be way too sensible..

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

for-profit schools

Don't fool yourself, every school is for profit, you'd be surprised how often I have to remind people here. Just because we're a community college doesn't mean we're not for profit. Guess what has to happen when attendance dips? Sorry people, we have to trim the fat somewhere and it's usually in the area of part-timers and then it's by newer hires first unless older faculty/classified/managers want to take a golden parachute.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I looked at teaching at a for-profit school. Lasted all of the orientation meeting where it was entirely focused on taking attendance at multiple times of the class session to document who was present and when, so that the financial aid could be kept properly...

In CA, we call that a Student Learning Outcome and it's tied directly to both Full Time Equivalent Student count and Accreditation.

fyodor posted:

State employees here are unionized. Further, there is your specific trade union within the state employee union. I worked for one of the two state university systems so I was in an educational union inside the state employee's union. Try busting that poo poo.

That's exactly it. When I was Union, I viewed my dues as monthly hush money I threw out to get paid an exorbitant amount next to my private enterprise counterparts.

keykey fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 11, 2016

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

blk posted:

Linus Torvalds parked next to me at the grocery store.

Somehow you've managed to snap a shot of him that's even more insufferable than ever. Good job!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

blk posted:

idgi. do you have a problem with the photo or his yellow slk 32?

I had to Google Linus Torvalds car. I was greeted by a yellow slk with a license plate of "dad of3" which is perfectly fine that he takes pride in his kids.. Then I saw his license plate frame which read "MR. LINUX KING OF GEEKS." :allears:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

The wife and I are gonna rent a manual 4x4 hilux when we go to costa rica later this year

:getin:

DONT! STOP! TURN BACK! When we go to Costa Rica we always hire transportation. If you get into an accident, even as a tourist, you won't be allowed to leave the country until your case is heard in.. Mañana..some friends of ours got out 3 weeks later.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

scuz posted:

It's probably pennies a day, too. In Costa Rica, even Quizno's is affordable.

For private air conditioned transportation for 2 weeks, it's roughly $550 US.

Adiabatic posted:

It ain't that sort of trip. We'll take our chances I suspect.

May the odds be forever in your favor. Also, enjoy the hell out of CR, it's an amazing place. What parts are you headed to?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Yeah, he should've just picked the thing off his foot and dropped it. Putting it in his mouth was just a step too far.

poo poo went south the moment he took off his shoe. Which begs the question, was it a subconscious act of pick and eat or did he do it on purpose? Either way.. MOTHERFUCK! :barf:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Both of you, tell me more. My wife and I were this close to going to Puerto Jimenez last year but spent too long hemming and hawing over it and then the prices spiked. Ended up being way cheaper to go to Hawaii, but Costa Rica is still very much on the to-do list.

Puerto Jimenez is in the Osa Peninsula which during the rainy season you need to have a guide because of the Fer de Lance snake and severe flooding creating nice new streams and habitats for crocodiles and bull sharks. Bull sharks love to swim upstream, what would normally be a mild river crossing could potentially turn into a bad timeIt's not a bad place to go, but just look at the season before you make a trip there. It really is the last truly wild area in Costa Rica.

When we go there we typically stay with friends in Desamparado which is a suburb of San Jose. If you're looking for an amazing place to chill, go to Monte Verde. It's one of only 20 cloud forests in the world. It takes about 6-7 hours to get to from San Jose. The thing about CR is that it's a relatively small country that's only about 275 miles or so long and 100 miles wide, but it takes forever to get anywhere. Think of their road network as a wagon wheel. San Jose is the hub and you can get to any of the other places going in a straight line in different directions, but you'll rarely find roads without backtracking that'll take you in a direct way from one place on the outer spoke to another.

If tropical weather is your thing, check out Limon, Cahuita, and/or Puerto Viejo de Talamanca. One of my favorite places is Puerto Viejo, the last time we were there we both got steak, lobster, drinks and a shared appetizer. The total price came out to roughly $30 USD. Limon is a great place to snorkel/scuba. From Puerto Viejo, you can pay for a van to go into Panama for a day trip. If you're prone to vertigo, don't do it. The bridge is full of dry rot and boards on top of other boards that have dry rot. It use to be a railroad bridge.. I can guess why trains no longer use it. Also, Panama is pretty drat funky on the whole compared to CR though I may be biased.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

We were looking at going in March so it wouldn't be too rainy, and the rainforest / wild nature is a lot of what was pushing us to any of a dozen AirBNB homes down there on Osa. Plus, hey, offroading.

I suppose I could just road trip the whole thing in my WJ instead of renting a Jimny or something, but ~60-70 hours of driving with multiple border crossings seems less than fun well-advised.

I wouldn't drive down there, especially since you'd have to go through Mexico and more importantly Nicaragua which is, well.. A poo poo hole in its own rite, also there are nice groups of guerillas depending on where you're treading through usually on the southern border. We've seen them once after mistakingly going over the CR to Nicaragua border and quite frankly I don't ever want to see them again. It was an intense 45 minutes, fortunately on the CR border side, we happened to run into police.
Here's some light reading: http://news.co.cr/guerrilla-uprising-nicaragua-report-costa-rica/36974/

March would be a great time to go, just make sure you have great ground visibility before getting out in a high foliage area. Fer de Lance's loooove to hang out under leaves and they blend in quite well.

Also, I can't stress the private transport enough. For a day expedition or something just going through some bushes, renting a 4x4 would be fine, but a lot of places in CR don't exactly have clear traffic patterns. It's one of those things that unless you were born there and learned to drive there, it's best just to leave it to the locals.
I'll let this article speak for itself: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/10/the-10-best-and-worst-countries-for-drivers/

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

leica posted:

Or are you one of those "refuses to drive a minivan" kinda people?

I know I am. My wife keeps trying to sell me on one. Is there actually a beast that would dare be called AI?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

trouser chili posted:

...Netflix and chill on the go..

SOLD!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Wrar posted:

You am I is in Australia so I'm not sure if there is a distinction, but in the US it recognizes you are acting legally in their interest AFAIK.

in the US, it means you can act on the parties behalf either in their absence or if they are not of sound mind, if it's for a medical condition then you need to be named on an advanced directive.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Wrar posted:

The Peter Principal is 100% real.

Especially in academia. Oh, you're an English instructor? *ENGLISH INSTRUCTOR HAS DEVOLVED INTO A DEAN* congrats! Now.. You manage other English instructors? Huh.. Well, not sure how that English degree set you up for management.. But, welp here we are.. Then we get to hear about their unique not getting paid enough to English and Dean bullshit and that's when you know someone has reached peak Peter Principle. You can substitute English with math, music, philsosphy, art, etc.. And the same thing will happen. Most of them have no loving clue what a budget, what it entails, and how to stay within one.

Fun fact: at one point in 2008, we had a surplus of 13 million. 11 million was taken away and given to colleges/UC's that don't know the difference between a budget and a hole in the ground. Our 11 million went to UC Berkeley who was roughly 150 million in the hole. The Peter Principle doesn't end on your level, it goes all the way to the top including the Chancellor's office.

keykey fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 14, 2016

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

spog posted:

Does this mean that I could ride a bike from coast-to-coast at 70mph with impunity?

If you do 70 through CA, a lot of people are going to be pissed that you're going too slow in the fast lane. Left lane here is typically 75 sometimes faster. Cops only pull you over if you're going "noticeably faster" than everyone else. My commute home is usually closer to 80 and people still pass me all the time.

bolind posted:

Wife and her visiting friend dragged me to the country's biggest art museum. I might actually die from boredom.

It could be pretty cool, just stay away from the abstract and modern art sections. Those are complete bullshit.

Note: I'm not trying to start an art debate, just my personal preference, maaaaan.

keykey fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 15, 2016

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Huh.. Well, looks like I now have my own AI catte. While my wife and kids were out, they brought back a Maine coon kitten.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

corn in the fridge posted:

Oh yeah I forgot that I hate fun. Actually I really enjoy fun except zany wacky puerile humour isn't fun it's intellectually bankrupt. Boooorrring. Good film for overweight manchildren with an inflated sense of their own intelligence i guess

I do say, I also will not accept the commoners in their theatrical choices. I especially will not partake in their enjoyment in their poppycock known as Deadpool. I would rather enjoy the cukinary delighy of spotted dick. Oh, what's that? My Ascot is once again in my dickey? Oh bother..

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I don't watch films very often I'd rather read a book

Oh. You're one of THOSE people.. I'm sorry. I've had to read too many goddamn books in my life so if I have a choice of entertainment mechanism whether fed through my eyes to my mind vs eyes and ears to brain, I choose the latter. In the end, I get the gist of the story without being out too much time. A side benefit is beers and friends.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Books provide more than just entertainment. Unless, of course, you don't read very good books.

I'd say a good 95% of the books I read are industry or academic. The other 5% fall into the I'll finish reading it someday category which means I usually watch the movie and call it a day. It's like a mechanic having a lovely car or a computer tech having a lovely computer. I'm surrounded by books all day so at the end of the day I'd rather look at a screen than have to read another loving book or evwn worse.. Subtitles.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I have not seen it nor do I have any desire to

Hackers; terrible, awesome, or terribly awesome? Inquiring minds want to know.

meatpimp posted:

You're cherry picking questions. Please elucidate your book choices so we may see what such an erudite gentleman prefers.

Also, this.

keykey fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 16, 2016

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Welp, looks like I'm headed to Vegas next week for some nerd training. Any good food/show suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

:agreed:

too bad this blog has been abandoned, would be a good submission

http://thetancamry.tumblr.com/

I read the url as thetan camry and I thought I was going to read some wacky scientology gold.. I was sorely disappointed, dang. :(

• Locked thread