Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

IT IS NOT MAY YET

Close enough for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B0hoJCRXn0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I get the feeling that the guys behind Archer take a very special pride in being accurate as possible with completely out-of-loving-nowhere jokes, which is part of what makes it great.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:getin:

https://twitter.com/NWSPhoenix/status/727953319985979392

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SCA Enthusiast posted:

What's it like living in a biome that will kill you in a day without modern technology?

Shade and water are all you need (and yes, I'm well aware that we only have the water we have by means of some basic technology).

Great Beer posted:

Your city is a monument to man's arrogance.

:feelsgood:

Also when I go outside and sweat, it actually works. Give me 100 and dry over 80 and humid.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Dudes that do pavement or roofing in Phoenix in the summer have got to be the most heat tolerant freaks on the planet or something.

My dad once made one of my brothers and I help him repaint the flat sections of the roof one summer morning. Unlike anything I've experienced before or since, and in hindsight I'm pretty sure my mom wanted to kill him for that. That much heat on top of a bright white super reflective surface... Yeah.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bajaha posted:

Welp, someone stole my forester. This is going to be fun to deal with

That loving sucks, but at least it wasn't the Baja.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe the question isn't who, but what.

Has the Gorester been kept under constant surveillance?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

This college kid on my roommate's rugby team is staying here for the week so he can finish the season. He has never seen Seinfeld before. It is blowing my mind.

He's clearly the master of his domain.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Update: the owner said I can have it for $500 if I want it. Have to see if my wife will approve... I also think I'd better check if the engine is seized before I hand over the $$$.

If the clutch pedal is all the way on the floor (because the clutch cylinder or something is hosed), does that mean the clutch is engaged or disengaged? Wondering if I might be able to just put it in 5th and try to roll it forward, see if the engine turns at all. Otherwise I guess I'll pull the plugs and try to turn it by hand.

If the engine is seized, it's doing you a favor and trying to make you do an engine swap. The only way I'd own another 280ZX would be if I was doing a full on engine swap, or at the very least trashing the K-Jet for either carbs or a Megasquirt. gently caress that K-Jet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Except that car has L-Jet, which has a lot more in common with modern EFI than K-Jet. L-Jet was used in the Z cars from 82-89.

This is assuming the car is actually a 1982 model year anyway.

Well, the rat's nest looks very similar to the poo poo on the K-jet '79 we had, and it was an unending stream of fuel leaks and vacuum leaks with fuckall for diagnostics. L/LH-jet is something I hate only slightly less thanks to my Volvo 240 running so lean that it failed emissions, and being impossible to figure out why.

If you want to keep the L28, fine, just Megasquirt it or something. We're talking about a fuel injected car that still manages to be susceptible to vapor lock because of how lovely that fuel system is.

some texas redneck posted:

There's been thousands (probably tens of thousands) of 4th gen F-Bodies (93-02 Camaro) converted to carb, while retaining everything else.

I'd bet very few of those maintain any useful OBD2 functionality, though. The fourthgen, even the OBD2 LT1 ('96-'97) and LS1 ('98-'02) cars, still used discrete gauge signals. Predates any sort of CAN bus. It's not exactly hard to keep things functional in a fourthgen without computers actually working, especially since people running carbs on those cars are pretty much exclusively building drag-only racers where they don't give a gently caress about "working HVAC".

Also, unless class rules specifically prohibit fuel injection, carbing a LS1 is grade-A hillrod poo poo. You spend a huge chunk of change on a custom aftermarket intake manifold, another chunk of change on either an ignition-only computer or an aftermarket distributor, and all you've done is spend more to make the car demonstrably worse. The same money would buy an equally high-flowing intake and HPTuners licensing, plus probably some big injectors.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 9, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Derail : Kinda funny to look back and think a high 14's / low 15's car was called stupid fast (which is was when the average V8 was doing 16's) when only a handful of years later the WRX appeared and you had that kind of speed stock.

Oh yeah, definitely. When I was a kid, my dad bought a new '94 Camaro Z28 and that thing ran mid 14's. Seemed like a drat rocketship at the time.

22 years later, his last three daily drivers have been 12-second cars. The current one got there with nothing more than a tune (which mostly just makes the DBW open the throttle all the way!) and some slicks for the strip.

And he complains about getting sub-10k miles out of his rear tires.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

keykey posted:

DONT! STOP! TURN BACK! When we go to Costa Rica we always hire transportation. If you get into an accident, even as a tourist, you won't be allowed to leave the country until your case is heard in.. Maņana..some friends of ours got out 3 weeks later.

Adiabatic posted:

It ain't that sort of trip. We'll take our chances I suspect.

Both of you, tell me more. My wife and I were this close to going to Puerto Jimenez last year but spent too long hemming and hawing over it and then the prices spiked. Ended up being way cheaper to go to Hawaii, but Costa Rica is still very much on the to-do list.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

We were looking at going in March so it wouldn't be too rainy, and the rainforest / wild nature is a lot of what was pushing us to any of a dozen AirBNB homes down there on Osa. Plus, hey, offroading.

I suppose I could just road trip the whole thing in my WJ instead of renting a Jimny or something, but ~60-70 hours of driving with multiple border crossings seems less than fun well-advised.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Costco and Walmart seem to have the best prices on batteries these days. And at least with Costco, there's zero bullshit with the inevitable warranty exchange.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Went and saw Neil DeGrasse Tyson tonight for our tenth anniversary. Holy poo poo that was a hell of a lot of fun. Also pleasantly surprised that a place like Phoenix still turned into a sold out crowd.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

88h88 posted:

I'm only seeing one double. 2x2=4. False advertising.

Double meat, double cheese, get with the nomenclature.

And now I really want one. Animal Style, of course. Non-grilled-onions are scrub tier In-N-Out.

leica posted:

Also (your own) kids are awesome, don't listen to the haters :)

Truth. Also, having kids gives you an excuse to buy poo poo like this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

With a suitable Envoy XL replacement going to be difficult to find... what do I need to know about GMC Acadia / Buick Envlaves in the '07-09 range? Are they a viable option? My wife didn't want the Envoy because it was too big for her comfort. She got used to it, but I don't want to go full-size GM SUV, just too big... but third-row seating is a must.

The XL GMT360 filled a weird niche, that's for sure. It ended up long as gently caress, but still considerably narrower (and cheaper to run) than a Suburban or any other three-row body-on-frame SUV at the time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

A weird niche that could be perfect for me... how is it in terms of reliability / maintenance? Anything to avoid? Tell me it's not bad like that AWD Buick Rendezvous, that thing was a servicing nightmare with the way it was packaged.

What about same-year (07-09) Dodge Durango / Chrysler Aspen... I'm not as familiar with working on Dodge vehicles... should I avoid or investigate?

I meant your now-totaled truck, I've got zero knowledge of the GM crossovers after the Trailblazer.

I think the later Durango is based on the WK Grand Cherokee platform, isn't it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

He spends all of his time trolling AI in Something Awful Forums

Truly, the most enlightened form of entertainment.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

keykey posted:

Just go with it, if you didn't feel nervous then you wouldn't care that you're having a kid.

Yep. The nerves never truly go away (or it takes more than three years to do so, since that's where mine is at) but holy hell the awesome parts are just the best. You'll still get to deal with lots of poo poo, both figurative and literal, but it's so worth it.

The answer is you're never truly ready, and half of the baby garbage you bought, you will never touch.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Oww Jesus gently caress I dropped a jack stand on my finger

I tripped on one and kicked it onto my other foot like three+ weeks ago and it's still sore if I push it from the top.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

So a "rookie" won the 500 and said "rookie" is a former F1 driver soooo not my definition of a rookie tbh.

Yes, I'm sure all of that experience in F1 trained him how to handle lapping an oval at 230mph less than a car length ahead / behind other cars.

Race owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I heard you guys like frozen vegetables

• Locked thread