Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Take Fridays in Lent off work for your own safety. :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Or just a meth lab.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And who has been making sure that is the case for the last 300 years or longer so they can get away with murder?

Oh now that's true. Basically these days if I hear some politician making GBS threads on about family values, DEM GAYS!! or Think of the Children, I just presume they are either loving someone on the side (Which in politics is actually very common), they are gay or they shouldnt be allowed near children.

I have hopes for the priesthood improving, assuming the Cardinals don't throw Pope Francis out a window in the next year or two.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sinestro posted:

Well, it was if you looked at it instead of taking points off for the wrong capitalization of a word and didn't stick the compiler into "party like it's 1998" mode for some reason, which is why it pisses me off. I can totally see why he'd see it like that though, I'm mostly just pissy I have to take the class at all.

Could always go for the nuclear option, and reach out to the Dean if you feel like the prof is treating your work unreasonably.

It's a dick move, but sometimes the dick move is necessary.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Management is offering voluntary layoffs for those who have been here long enough and the seventy loving three year old useless guy in my group is "holding out for a better deal" :downs:

Of course the guy should have retired long ago but instead he's got a E65 to keep on the road. Good job rear end in a top hat I'm sure it will be totally worth it to lay off two people at the bottom of the totem pole while he keeps his job.

It is literally not his problem.

If they wanted to keep those people, they'd lay him off specifically.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

There used to be a goon-run racing league with automation. It was quite fun. Don't know what happened to it.

The second round didn't really get off the ground because despite MrChips putting in a lot of work, Automation's current state means there is pretty much a winning formula and you're either running that car or not running at all.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Who the gently caress steals a Forester?

Anyone checked to make sure the Gorester isn't hunting other poster's cars for parts?

Also, gently caress dealers. Drove up to the next town over to look at a "clean" 06 Mustang, get there and it's missing a rocker panel and has clearly recently been backed into something. Still asking 8500 with 140k miles.

How about no.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 6, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Holy shitballs that fire up in Alberta is a monster of a thing...

And heres us about ready to sack all our seasonal fire crew for the year and im sitting at home in jeans and a jumper because its cold outside!

Yeah, the smoke of that thing is making Des Moines look like Silent Hill today. It's a hell of a fire.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cage posted:

Unless you have a medical or physical problem losing weight is pretty easy, especially the bigger you are. (until you get to a non-mobile state, then it gets tougher)

I've lost over 25 pounds since Feb 1st. It could've been more, but I still partake in weed and too much pizza every other week or so. You should be exercising more than "semi-regularly" if you're serious about loosing weight.

Exercise is mostly for feeling and looking better. Losing weight is 99% in the kitchen, because unless you're going to pull an Eddie Izzard and run a marathon every day for a month, you aren't going to burn enough calories to make up for bad eating habits. Especially if you, like most of us, have a lovely sedentary job.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cage posted:

Sure if you eat trash everyday and exercise 3 times a week nothing will happen. A cardio and weights workout is equally important as eating right, though. When you lift weights your muscles tear and help you burn calories while they repair. I eat healthy, but I don't eat crazily healthy. I work at a desk for 8 hours a day I don't see what that has to do with anything.

I'm not saying one or the other is more important. Get off your butt and do both.

It doesn't even take eating badly, just consistently screwing up portion sizes. An extra bagel a day (~300 calories) takes about 3 miles walking to burn off.

Unless you're doing hard manual labor, or again, running marathons for fun, you'll never outrun a bad diet.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Eh, not going to do much. Pot's in your system in detectable amounts long after the intoxicating effects fade. Unless they've got causative proof to go with it, that study doesn't say much other than consumption may be more common.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Imagine if instead of Peak Oil, it was Peak Water. The US Southwest would be fuuuuucked.
The book Water Knife goes into some cool what ifs about that scenario, where the concept of water passing through different territories leads to a ton of weird law and loopholes, including one state bombing another's dam because its water needs outweighed the political consequences. Pretty good near future dystopia, decent action.

We're aaaaactually kinda getting there. Thanks to the way the water rights for the Colorado are constructed, the landowners get their cut off the top, not proportionally based on river flow, and we've had a few years of dry winters.

Raluek posted:

Last time I was in Portland it was still pretty cheap. Can you not get studios for under a grand anymore?

This is why the Microsoft guys I know out here are happy as pigs in poo poo. $90k in a place where the average house is $150k is the tits, and you can afford to -fly- to the coasts every couple weekends if you feel like it.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 13, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Welp. I was going to go drive a couple Outbacks on Monday because my lust for a wagon is beating out my desire for horsepower, but I just spit out a large chunk of one of my molars, so I guess I'll be at the dentist instead.

Explains why I've been waking up with headaches, though. I just shrugged that off as normal depression bullshit.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Going to kind of miss it. It seems like anything remotely sporty is in the $25k plus range now, everything else is a tiny little rollerskate.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

spog posted:

I've heard mentioned a few time about the US police having a policy of not chasing bikers.

Does this mean that I could ride a bike from coast-to-coast at 70mph with impunity?

No, because you'd get to your first fuel stop and get turbofucked, because they can just park a helicopter over your rear end.

They're not going to chase you by car, they'll do it by radio instead.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 15, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sigma X posted:

So you want to discourage speeding and running from the cops, knock yourself out. But don't try to make reality out to be something it isn't just because a false picture better suits your narrative. Really quick Google searches will turn up articles and briefs about limited pursuit rules, and if you're lucky, you'll even be able to directly find your state or local police's ACTUAL PURSUIT POLICY. Most of them show just how much of a loving pain in the rear end it is to pursue someone.

Again, you're missing the point. The pursuit doesn't matter. They likely aren't going to chase you, they're just going to call ahead to the next couple jurisdictions over and when you stop for gas you'd best hope that there's not a cruiser waiting to have a little chat with you. You can outrun the locals, but in the middle term that sportbike's not carrying enough fuel to make it to Mexico. :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

The whole trigger words thing is stupid tumblrina bullshit that I really wish people would stop taking seriously.

That being said, "everyone is a winner, give everyone a participation medal/ribbon/plaque" is the worst sort of mollycoddling garbage ever and should be stopped asap. Not everyone is going to be a crazy good athlete, stop trying to hug everyone and make everyone win at the same things and allow people to be different. Push kids to find what they love and are good at and then be as good as they can be at that thing. Everyone's got their thing they love and will be awesome at, but if you try to tell me "you tried" is good enough for a participation award in sports that I absolutely sucked at, I'm gonna tell you to cram it and stop flapping your dumb face at me, and then go find something I'm good at and excel at that until I'm worthy of a real medal.

*rant off*

Works just fine, but then you get what we have right now, a short sharp reminder that what you're good at doesn't mean poo poo unless it's in the rather narrow spectrum of 'things we can profit off of immensely'.

Lots of really talented people out there shoveling poo poo or pushing paper because whatever they're good at isn't the next get rich scheme, and feeling good about things is for children.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ageism scares the living gently caress out of me. It desont quite affect me yet, but lets say I lost my job - I would be hosed. I know too many people who around my age or a bit older lost their career and pretty much everything only for the sole reason they were over 45-50. And also there a bunch of poo poo like how you are falling apart and getting fat / losing it - that not the case at all, while I know I'm well and above the average 47 year old fitness-wise, we're perfectly capable mentally and physically to work, sometimes moreso than someone younger.

People literally get scrapheaped just due to a number of birthdays and it is highly likely to happen to most of us at soem point. I suspect as automation becomes more the norm, it'll hurt the older workers the most, because we tend to be better paid. If it came down to the 30+ year expecience Sysadmin or the graduate who is costing half - the older worker is goooooooooone. Doesnt matter if the experience cant be replaced, get the young kid in - he's not married, he'll be forced to work outragoues hours and he wont talk back and say they have kids they need to look after. It's not like 40 years ago you got to 65, you got the watch and told to gently caress off because you had about 5 years left to rot -we're now living soooo far past 65 that we have 20-30 odd years left, we are fit and healthy and can still work drat well. And to top it off, the GFC pretty much detonated a lot of retirement funds, houses are stupidly expensive, healthcare is rising on price at stupid rates, child care is too - being able to retire at 65 is just not an option becaus there is no money to retire with. I worked out that I could retire at 75 at my present rate, but how the gently caress am I going to keep a job for that long??? IT is very ageist, if I have to look for another job for *reasons* I'm simply done in this industry. Let alone if I do stay in till I'm 50, whats the chances I'll be replaced with someone a lot cheaper?

My parter's father was made redundant at 50 and never worked again. Another person I know got scrapheaped at 52 and can not get another job desipte his great work history - he's now driving buses for a third of what he used to earn. A lot of people say they could fall back on *insert job here* but automation and robotics are starting to cut the market to pieces. You aint going to go flip burgers in desperation, that low paid immigrant who Big Corp is illegally underpaying will be cleaning the shitter even if you want to do that, and the welfare safetynet is being cut from under you by the last Baby Boomers in power - who however will make sure they have plenty to retire on and grandfathered healthcare.

Gen X are just waking up to the fact we're now reaching the point where we know just how much we are being hosed over by the Boomera AND we see how our kids are being doubly hosed - even as we're on th threshold of boardrooms and the top line politicial postions so we might be able to fix it, our option are just gone. Raise taxes to fund healthcare? Politican poison. Want to keep older workers? Those retired shareholders want a bigger dividend and more profits, gently caress off. Climate change? HAHAHAHA yeah right, we've been left with a hell of a mess there and those old bastards who wont be around to see the results are still fighting the fixes.

Sorry if that sounds depressing but right now I dont see any upside. Ageism will get us all I fear and it's going to be a long misreble time once it does get us.

It's a son of a bitch from both sides, because those Boomers hanging on because they're still fit are the reason that a ton of Gen X'ers are still stuck in lovely 'entry level' positions in their thirties because there's no place to move up!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 18, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

Also the only thing I've ever heard of deviated septum a from is coke and piercings, what the heck happened that she got one??

I've got one from breaking my nose as a kid. They're not uncommon.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No, that's not all there is to it. There is indeed that as a factor I acknowledge and I suffered it in 2002 when the tech wreck meant I lost out to a cheaper resource - but the straight out fact of the matter is that ageism most certainly does exist and it's not just about money. People who have grey hair most certainly do get knocked back just because they are older, not that they cost more or whatever other factors. My mum had to lie on her resume to get jobs. Luckily she looks ten years younger so she could get away with it - so there indeed is a terific example of ageism, try being over 50 and getting a PA role or reception ... you are going to have a baaaaaaaad time. Isolated? HELL NO. In IT Ageism is utterly rampant. Highly qualified older workers do and will get passed over for younger ones for no other reason other than age.

Take a walk in GBS (yeah I know, GBS), ageism can be easily found right there as an example. Like saying some older guy cant do x when it's drat well proven they can and can even do it better than someone younger. You might not be able to imagine ageism but mate, I'm right there and seeing it happen to others near my age.

Yeah, I'm in IT and have watched it happen. Even when we're hiring for basic technical roles, there's often hesitation to pick up an older candidate because of the perception that they either aren't going to stick it out because they'll leave for a better offer, or they're going to be resistant to picking up new systems.

Slavvy posted:

Ok I think I understand what's going on here. I was not aware that ageist people existed in the strictest sense. Am I to understand that there are people out there who think there's like an expiry date for people as far as age goes? How do you justify that mentally? Everyone is eventually old including yourself, do you kill yourself out of bigoted rage come age 55 or what? Where's the fear of the different/unknown that underpins other bigotry like hating a race/sexuality/religion? It just makes no sense to me.

It's an interesting topic and I'm not trying to debate with you, I am legitimately interested in knowing more about this. Have people conducted studies or surveys or w.h.y.? If not, is there anyone making an effort to get some kind of research done on the matter?

Maybe you missed the memo, but some people are absolute shits until they're the target of the same discrimination. The IT world especially is obsessed with the next new thing, and it's a shitload cheaper to lowball a recent grad than to risk having to ever train anyone on anything. The days where longevity and experience were valued are long past, at this point the whole mindset is that people can be reduced to checkbox skillsets and man hours calculations. Agile development and the cargo cult surrounding it and trying to apply the principals to other workflows are especially bad about this.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 18, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Gorson posted:

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2016/05/14/the-drunkest-and-driest-cities-in-america/

My home state took 12 of the top 20 spots, and 4 of the top 5. I live in #9. :toot:

I'm dragging down that average I barely drink at all anymore.

That list could alternatively be titled 'College Towns with small non-student populations'. Ames and Iowa City, home to ISU and the University of Iowa are both on the list.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

You are legally required to have 8 hours between end of shift and start of another. Tell them to pound sand or let you out at 1am.

Oh, if only this were true.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

You know some of them could be had with a factory turbo, right? And the 2.2 they paired it with will take downright stupid amounts of boost without giving half a gently caress.

They're a pretty drat good sleeper.

Though if he bought it for any reason other to throw all the turbos at it, well... uh... I got nothin.

Wait, you could graft a turbo onto a LeBaron?

Because I know where I can get a running, decent condition 88 Lebaron for next to nothing, and it would be hilarious to torture it with boost. I drove one back in high school, and while it got floaty as gently caress around 100, it was fun to drive for an I-4.

Edit : Oh, that's why I didn't think about it, the 88 Coupe was after they switched to J-body.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 20, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

So today's daily report show that I did "23 hours of work" and the department average removing myself is at "5 hours"....

What are the career options for a man with an accounting degree and 3 years of underwriting experience that won't make me want to blow my brains out?

Wells Fargo's always hiring for underwriters out here, but I can't garuantee the not wanting to blow your brains out bit.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm just not sure who'd be brave enough to take that absurdly top-heavy bastard off-road. I'd be terrified to so much as cross a ditch in it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cage posted:

Belt tip: Just be so fat that all your jeans are tight and you won't need a belt.

That is one downside to losing weight, I have to buy a new pair of jeans every month and gently caress paying $50 for a decent set so I'm just wearing $20 wranglers for the time being. Fashion! Haven't had to wear a belt in years and now I do.

People spend more than $20 on jeans?

Why?

Jesus, they're work pants. Buy cheap jeans, beat them to death, then buy more cheap jeans.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

They're called Briggs&Scrapiron for a reason.

e: as for house stuff hahahahahahahahahahaha well I did buy a fixer upper I guess.

Man, your place isn't a fixer upper. It's a demolition and rebuild that is simply being done in stages rather than at once.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh look, reason 1,431 that comic books are loving stupid

Steve Rogers was Hydra all along? In a long line of stupid that's right up there

Gotta try and be shocking to get their readership up.

Remember, they declared like 90% of the Marvel Universe to be Skrulls a few years ago.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Watches are basically just as useless nowadays. It is a bracelet. You got a phone for time.

Sometimes I can't dig my phone out of my pocket and just need to know what goddamn time it is.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

Lol, we just went from a little understaffed to insanely understaffed. Had 2 people quit for full time positions elsewhere. One with a two weeks notice that we had worked out by covering ourselves very thin, the other with nothing but a note dropped on the desk while he was in buying poo poo with his employee account. The flake gave notice and the insanely polite and dependable dude dropped the note, go figure. And in the middle of all this mess, I've got to sclep my rear end down to lakeland for a full day to loving go to a corporate mandated training session on the job I've already been doing for the last 6 months. And its all right before the store managers vacation she has to take or lose for the year. May 2016 can :fuckoff:

Dependable people don't often just go like that. Were I you, I'd be asking myself what they know that you don't.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

annnnd just spat out a tooth.

That was me last week, only it was half of one. Go see your dentist, man!

I'm scheduled for 4 extractions next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Raluek posted:

Money, probably. A lot of jobs don't have very good dental insurance, and for some reason dental isn't considered part of health.

Late reply, but this.

I was a cook, then a baker for most of a decade. This did not come with decent pay nor insurance. I am reaping the results in deferred health problems now.

• Locked thread