Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
They're going to discontinue the Falcon? Aw, man... :sigh:

Still April for another nine hours or so here, but May and double digit temps can't come soon enough. It was snowing and 2.5C last week here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What are you doing in the hospital, laf?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

LloydDobler posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaand my daughter's brand new $500 iphone is gone. 6 days. Either lost or stolen, we don't know which yet.

The most infuriating thing is her idiot mom waited until the middle of the night to tell me, after the battery has run down and the phone store is closed. I might have been able to do something if they called me at 4 PM when she found out.

Oh for fecks sake...

Maybe try that "find my iPhone" thingie on iCloud? Should give you last known location.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Wife and her visiting friend dragged me to the country's biggest art museum. I might actually die from boredom.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

keykey posted:

It could be pretty cool, just stay away from the abstract and modern art sections. Those are complete bullshit.

That's my take on it too. I appreciate anything that's original, makes me think or impresses me with creativity and/or skill, but the majority of the works here look like they were shat out by preschoolers on acid.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Scored a "broken" garden shredder on ebay for a fiver. All that was wrong was a blown fuse, and the guy had reversed the connections on the switch while trying to fix it so it was shorted out. Seems to work just fine, and still has the £110 shop sticker on it.

I once got a popcorn hour for $30. Went home, changed the fuse, good as new. Sold the spare PSU it came with for $25. Turns out a new PSU does very little when the fuse is embedded in the female mains plug in the chassis.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

What's a popcorn hour?

It's kinda like a very early Apple TV/XBMC. Networked Media Tank I think they called them. I think mine was the C200 or C300. It was pretty cool for its time.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

a mobile dev company that I was super excited about applying to contacted me for a 30 minute conference call with a couple of their programmers to ask questions then give me a problem that I write some code for and email to them

I'm nervous as gently caress about it, especially after blowing it on that online technical skills quiz that I took last week and I want to study up on iOS/android fundamentals.

i really want to get a mobile dev job because it'll never be boring computer janitoring and its in a great part of town near where I'm moving to, so this would be an amazing opportunity as long as my stupid lizard brain doesn't gently caress me over again

Don't sweat it too much. I'm coming up on 10 years in my business (embedded SW) and it's gotten to the point where I'm asked to sit in on interviews in a pinch.

The reason why you're being asked to do a problem is not because the problem needs a solution. It's to see how you work, how attentive to details you are, how you approach problems, how you deal with hitting the wall etc.

Be smart but relaxed, be honest without being self-destructive and think aloud.

Finally, don't forget that this is also you interviewing them.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So my folks, seeing as they're now both retired, have decided to trade in their Volvos (XC90 and 850 wagon) with 600kkm between them for a boring new Octavia. Rationally, it makes tons of sense, but it'll mark the first time since 1983 when the household had zero Volvos. At least the Octavia is red. edit: and a wagon.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I tried to push for the 220hp one but I think my old man already was getting tunnel vision in the 1.4. At least the sales guy pushed for xenons.

I'm looking forward to see what the VAG curse will be like this time around. I urged them to get the extended warranty.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Oh, and I saw an honest to God Subaru Levorg in the wild today. I kinda want one. Too bad it's auto-only.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Learned today that the sysadmin at my new job has honest to god teddy bear wheels on his car. I have to go see them, I've only ever seen pics of those.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

Ronal teddies?

Hero.

Yep!

He's actually super cool and really skilled. I had known him for three days when he basically entrusted me his 3D printer.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So the old man's new Octavia is fitted with the 1.0 engine... On one hand, it's pretty impressive that they're able to wring out 115hp and 200Nm out of a one liter three cyl. On the other hand, FFS Dad, jut for once tick a fun box or two.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Tide posted:

Found a Filipino restaurant last night. So so good.

What did you have? I'm personally all about lechon kawali, pork adobo and pancit.

MustardFacial, congrats on the daughter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Three hours of mandatory sustainability workshop is exactly as exciting as it sounds.

• Locked thread