Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Welp, made it to May without a loving job still. I'm officially hosed financially again. I have 3 prospects, two of which are through my professional network, so I have an inside edge but still, this is loving annoying.

I still have plenty of credit so it's not like I'll lose my house or even one of my cars, but I'm living on credit. gently caress me if it won't be another couple years before I dig myself out again.

In spite of that I also caved and got my daughter the iPhone, and so far she's earning it like she said she would. Pretty cool little phone. I've never seen her so happy, and I've even offered to buy her a car multiple times already. I should probably order a paternity test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Those chunks aren't supposed to be there.

Sure they are, just not in that particular orientation.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Well, today marks 4 months of unemployment!

please hire me

I'm at 8. There is always more and it is always worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib-3Xd0IZwk&t=24s

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 2, 2016

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Cruz dropped out because he had a contractual obligation at the Black Lagoon.

I appreciate this reference.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Aaaaaaaaaaand my daughter's brand new $500 iphone is gone. 6 days. Either lost or stolen, we don't know which yet.

The most infuriating thing is her idiot mom waited until the middle of the night to tell me, after the battery has run down and the phone store is closed. I might have been able to do something if they called me at 4 PM when she found out.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah we were both still learning about the phone, you have to enable find my phone to find your phone. I know that now, if we replace it or get lucky with lost and found, we'll set that up first thing.

In two and a half years this is only the second time she's ever lost a phone. She's really beating herself up over it too. I fuckin warned her and warned her, this is a phone people WANT to steal. It might have actually been stolen out of her locker.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Geoj posted:

I'm still shocked at how liberal schools have become with electronic devices. When I was in high school getting caught with a phone in your possession (just having it, not using it) was pretty much an automatic three day out of school suspension, even if it was powered off in your locker. Hell, one day the police did a drug dog sweep (if the dog alerted on your car you were called out to the parking lot to open it for them) and several people were suspended for having a phone in their car during the school day.

Yeah they're basically necessary these days. Literally every kid has one, and not just a dumb phone either. It's such a great thing for safety in general, being able for your kid to get ahold of you 24/7. All they can do is restrict use in the classroom, but anything more than that would be like banning shoes.

Geoj posted:

To be fair it sounds like we're talking about 12-13 year old kids here, I doubt they've thought this through much past "awesome, free phone!"

Exactly. There's also the possibility she dropped it outside, even though she thinks the last place she saw it was in her locker. Basically if it's not in the lost and found by end of day today I'm assuming it's gone.

It's insured but the deductible is $200 so it still stings.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

That's the same size as my condo, except I have one more bedroom that is exactly 100 ft². It's a great size for a single guy (or single dad in my case). I can entertain a party of 6-8 but clean it top to bottom in like 90 minutes.

Phone news:

The plot thickens - It's still missing, but there is a security camera that points at my daughter's locker, so we'll know for sure in a day or two whether she lost it or someone took it. She's confident it was in there and stolen so we'll see.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

Eh, with the "dining area" being such a small space, and basically being part of the living room, I was going to just get a tiny breakfast table and 2 chairs. I can't imagine properly entertaining 8 people in this space.

I do like how the (hopefully) new place angles the fireplace though, so I won't be losing as much space to it. Also, the cable jacks are actually in a usable space, and placed such that I can wall mount the TV above the fireplace. The old apartment put the cable jack in that tiny corner between the patio door and the fireplace, with no power outlet nearby. :fuckoff:

What I do with my dining room is I have the table jammed against the wall with 2 of the chairs trapped so my living room is spacious feeling, but when I have company over, I turn my coffee table sideways, move my recliner about 2 feet towards the TV and then pull the table out so people can sit at the wall side. I have a triangular table designed for 6 but if you put people on the corners it actually holds 9, and I've done it before. And the living room still is useable after dinner, you just wouldn't want to watch TV like that.

I actually put my TV on a stand right in front of the fireplace because otherwise it's a huge chunk of wall that is unused, as I never ever light a fire.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

keykey posted:

What kind of phone?

I just bought my daughter a brand loving new iphone se 64, last one in the store, and she had it for 6 days before losing it. This is after 2-1/2 years of owning a dumb phone, never breaking it or losing it.

The school checked the video footage and nobody got in to her locker during the time she told them to. Now they're checking to see if she actually put the phone in there that morning, which she probably didn't. She was confident that she did but at this point it looks like it fell out of her pocket between the car and school, and she was in morning zombie mode so she didn't notice until 1PM around lunchtime. She's an 8th grader in her last 2 weeks of junior high so she's halfway to summer vacation already.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Unfortunately it's further proof that people dont respect the stuff they actually pay for with their own money.

I assume you mean unless they pay with their own money.

Fortunately that's not the case here, my daughter is overwhelmed with guilt and anger at herself, it's kind of hard to watch. She has already volunteered to pay the $200 deductible out of her savings which she has earned doing chores and babysitting. The worst is the blow to her self confidence, as she was so positive that she was mature and responsible enough to handle a really expensive phone. And I drilled in to her that it's the kind of phone that people will keep if they find it, unlike her last one. The whole situation is like a punch in the gut. To a 65 pound little girl.

I've put up a lost and found craigslist ad, and I have the number to the city police property department. So if whoever has it decides they want to get it back to us it'll happen. In the meantime I'm starting the insurance claim.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Most depressing job interview ever.

The good: Job looks fun and challenging, I'm perfectly qualified for it without being overqualified. The product is cool. No dress code.

The bad:
No bonuses ever
No 401k
No vacation to start, 2 weeks max
Terrible pay. Pays $25,000 a year less than my last job. They're seriously way behind the market in terms of salary.
30 minute commute in good traffic, which probably means 60 minute commute in Denver rush hour traffic.

The place has all the earmarks of an owner who is a huge cheapskate. He either doesn't make a profit or keeps all the profit for himself. Either way it's bad news. They only have 2 ME's right now and from the volume and variety of work they're doing it looks to me like these guys are way overworked. The HR guy (who is in upper management) didn't know the company's annual revenue. The lobby is wide open, and in spite of tons of extra space is filled with cramped 6x6 cubicles, most of which are unoccupied and filled with storage boxes and garbage. There is garbage all over the entrance area (boxes and packing materials, and disassembled product) and the lights were all out, taking what could be an impressive entry and turning it in to a depressing ghost town feel. Also I interviewed at this company 10 years ago and it was worse back then.

The saddest part is that if they offer it to me I'll take it as it'd be my first offer in 9 months and I'm making negative dollars right now. And I might not get it, they also confirmed that the market is flooded and they had hundreds of applicants.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The Locator posted:

Just as likely to be correct this way.

I mean I've been hearing it from everywhere I apply. Maybe it's a tactic but somehow I doubt it.

freelop posted:

Accepting one job doesn't mean you can't keep looking for something better and at least you'll have some cash

nm posted:

Also, it is a million times easier to get a job when you have a job.

Oh of course, that's my plan. I'm just irritated at the situation. I'm still accustomed to small family companies where longevity is valued so it "feels" wrong to use them and bail, even though I know that they'd do the same to me without hesitation and loyalty is a worthless commodity in the 21st century United States. I've only had 4 jobs, and while one was a 2 year stint, the others were 11, 7, and 7.

Sorry all I do is bitch lately guys, i'll tone it down.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Being John Malkovich is such a loving good movie.

Malkovich malkovich!

Malkovich malkovich malkovich.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

On the topic of speed limits, in March I road tripped from Colorado through Wyoming, Utah, Idaho and Oregon and all the rural interstates were 80 mph speed limits, except Oregon which was 75. I set my cruise at 2-3 mph over and I was passing people like a madman. There were a few radar speed signs that confirmed my speedo is correct so it was interesting that a majority of people don't even want to do 80. My car feels like it wants to cruise at 80 so it was an amazing trip. I never once had someone run up in my rearview going faster than me, except in Metro areas.

And I'm gonna do it again next weekend.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

If you guys ever think you don't have a significant other for whatever reason just remember that if Tusen Takk can trick a gorgeous gal to marry him then anyone can

Hate to break it to you, but girls in their early 20's are stupid and will date/marry literally anyone. Say this poo poo again to us when you're 36, fat, divorced and cranky. All the hot girls then are either re-married or way out of your league and know it. Or completely dysfunctional and piss you off by the third date. By this time you'll settle for sane over hot any day. Like the saying goes: No matter how pretty the girl is, someone somewhere is sick of her poo poo.

On the other hand, I saw a pretty 40 something mom at a restaurant last week who joked around with me while we waited for our take out orders, then went out of her way to wish me a great night as I left, and I can't stop thinking about her. I hate my own drive to sabotage my single happiness!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ageism scares the living gently caress out of me. It desont quite affect me yet, but lets say I lost my job - I would be hosed. I know too many people who around my age or a bit older lost their career and pretty much everything only for the sole reason they were over 45-50.

I'm starting to wonder about that myself. I'm 45 with 27 years experience. 8 months without a job now. The best interview I had so far was met a week later with "we decided not to hire a senior engineer but train a junior one instead".

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Until olds start being more profitable than young poors for whatever reason, 'ageism' will continue to exist because the path to profits is to extract maximum revenue from minimum expenditure.

I think it's even more nuanced than that. It's short term profitability. Capitalism doesn't take into account that an experienced worker will earn the higher pay due to long term savings from things like higher quality and fewer bad decisions. Obviously that's not universal but generally it's true. But those are things that don't show a return THIS QUARTER so it's no longer valued. Penny wise pound foolish.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Ok I think I understand what's going on here. I was not aware that ageist people existed in the strictest sense. Am I to understand that there are people out there who think there's like an expiry date for people as far as age goes? How do you justify that mentally? Everyone is eventually old including yourself, do you kill yourself out of bigoted rage come age 55 or what? Where's the fear of the different/unknown that underpins other bigotry like hating a race/sexuality/religion? It just makes no sense to me.

It's an interesting topic and I'm not trying to debate with you, I am legitimately interested in knowing more about this. Have people conducted studies or surveys or w.h.y.? If not, is there anyone making an effort to get some kind of research done on the matter?

I guess if you think about it, it happened enough that we've passed laws banning it. If someone actually comes out and says they're hiring someone younger for no other reason than that, you can sue them for age discrimination.

Ironically the roots of age discrimination were "why would I hire an old guy he's just going to work a few years till retirement and then quit". Back in the days when they wanted employees to stick around. Very similar to the argument against hiring young women. "They'll just quit when it's time to have babies".

Good news for me this week, my dad is paying me to do an engine swap. So I'll stave off a few more weeks of my debt hole. Plus I get to visit my family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Blasted garage door opener decided it didn't want to hear any of the remotes, including the wireless keypad, the other day. Works flawlessly otherwise, and is quiet. I seem to recall that it's a screw-driven type, but danged if I'm sure. It's fairly quiet.
the thing came with the house when I bought it 16 years ago. I hate to replace a mechanically working one, so I've been looking at add-on radios and such. $50-100 after two remotes and a keypad. Home Despot has a Chamberlain chain-drive with two remotes and keypad for $160, and a belt drive for $190. I'm really eyeballing the new Ryobi, though. $250, but that's with an accessory of your choice (I like the cord reel), and another $30-40 buys you a Ryobi cordless tool battery that makes the thing work with the power out. Better still, at that price point, it's already WiFi and app-connected. Tempting. The Chamberlains will do that, but it's another $50 for the WiFi box.
I'd really rather spend money elsewhere, but if I gotta spend it..

Anyone have happy/not happy about their garage door opener? What's good/bad/ugly?

I've heard these shaft mount liftmasters (used to be an independent brand and got bought out) are bad rear end.

https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes/garage-door-openers/elite-series/model-8500

There are a whole bunch of benefits to them starting with noise and including opening up the garage ceiling.

• Locked thread