Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Morning games chat thread. I feel like after I finish Dark Souls 3 I might hop back into FFXIV for a little bit.

I liked FFXIV back when I played it. I think if I came back I'd want to play a MCH or something. I know they're not as good as BRD and I'd have to go into Heavensward a bit to unlock it (which I haven't done yet) but drat it they just seem so cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Harrow posted:

I liked FFXIV back when I played it. I think if I came back I'd want to play a MCH or something. I know they're not as good as BRD and I'd have to go into Heavensward a bit to unlock it (which I haven't done yet) but drat it they just seem so cool

"Go with what looks cool" is always the best rule when deciding what to play in a video game. I went for Heavensward to get MCH and it's fun, I really like it. I picked up Astrologian too, for some reason, but it turns out I really love healing so I leveled AST instead :v:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Harrow posted:

I played as a Marauder cause I like tanking and big axes are cool.

I'll hop back into it when I've cleared off more games from my to-finish list.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just want to say that having gotten my vive yesterday VR is loving crazy and the future. its not a gimmick, it's actually like you are in these places. Amazing. Can't wait to be a videogamin grandpa in 2060

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't overlook how much easier DMC3SE is versus DMC3 vanilla though. DMC3 vanilla was insanely hard and punishing and DMC3SE massively eased up on the difficulty.
That's because the American version of Vanilla DMC3 made Normal difficulty Japanese Hard.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

The Walrus posted:

I just want to say that having gotten my vive yesterday VR is loving crazy and the future. its not a gimmick, it's actually like you are in these places. Amazing. Can't wait to be a videogamin grandpa in 2060

It might be the future, but we ain't there yet. It needs a killer app fast or it'll only have a future in specialized markets.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

FirstAidKite posted:

I am glad you had a good day celebrating your anniversary with your GF. Congrats on 4 years!

I am doing weirdly. Slept for 14~ hours (give or take an hour) because my body was all hosed up and just super tired, probably gonna crash here soon. Other than that, it was a solid day. I've been looking up dumb skylanders poo poo cause I might be able to get a wii u starter pack for the 4th iteration for $15 and that'd be pretty cool since the local five & below has 3-packs of compatible characters and some other single-packs for 5 bucks each and that should be fun for co-op with my fiancee, if she is fine with dropping that kind of cash on me as a late bday gift thing. I'm not entirely sure I'm okay with her dropping money on me for that though. I kinda wish this SSI poo poo would hurry up because at least then I'd feel better since I'd be bringing in some kind of income :|

Thanks Kite for the kind words! Also Skylanders eh? I felt sorry for my cousin when her kids end up discovering Skylanders and wanted every toy. She just told me, just wait til you have kids and you'll know how it feels. Haha.

That's cool you are doing more co op with your fiancee. I do that with my GF from time to time when we were both aren't.

We are still hopeful to get a Wii U soon. God I really wanna play Wonderful 101, Super Mario World 3D, Splatoon (my GF really wants this game), Bayonetta 2.

And of course Star Fox Zero.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rexroom posted:

It might be the future, but we ain't there yet. It needs a killer app fast or it'll only have a future in specialized markets.

I dont think it's a question of having a killer app it's a question of affordability and ease of use. Budget Cuts' demo alone is the most exciting launch game I have played since Mario 64.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Accordion Man posted:

That's because the American version of Vanilla DMC3 made Normal difficulty Japanese Hard.

That's just scratching the surface dude, and you don't have to tell me, I'm well aware of the differences. I've posted about it in this thread before.

Not only are the difficulties bumped up a notch, but much more significant is changing the yellow orbs to golden orbs and giving you effectively infinite yellow orbs. That alone completely shifts the challenge of beating the hard bosses, no longer requiring you to do a perfect run through the entire level and boss in one life, dark souls style.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Golden Goat posted:

Morning games chat thread. I feel like after I finish Dark Souls 3 I might hop back into FFXIV for a little bit.

Link the videos.

Kotaku one is the first video - http://kotaku.com/eve-online-is-moving-towards-its-largest-confict-in-his-1768178037

MassivelyOP one is at the botom - http://massivelyop.com/2016/05/27/eve-online-war-update-the-imperium-loses-its-territory/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Let me know when VR has a good exclusive game that's not a Wii-esque tech demo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Walrus posted:

Room scale is totally a gimmick

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
There would have to be some a-loving-mazing games for me to start rearranging my furniture, I tell you what.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quest For Glory II posted:

Let me know when VR has a good exclusive game that's not a Wii-esque tech demo

EVE Valkyrie is really good and an exclusive to VR, but its a dogfighting game so its sort of repetitive if you don't like shooters.

I hear the paint game thing on the Vive is really good too.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

hope you all got through if you wanted one

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I got in, though I'm not sure how much I actually want it. There's no way it's gonna come even close to last year unless they literally give everyone in attendance a free early copy of Last Guardian or something.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

axleblaze posted:

I got in, though I'm not sure how much I actually want it. There's no way it's gonna come even close to last year unless they literally give everyone in attendance a free early copy of Last Guardian or something.
What are you talking about, last year we got Kill Strain, that would be easy to top

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also you should try again because a bunch of people got their places in line reserved and then errored out and the site was likely still holding their seats.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

What are you talking about, last year we got Kill Strain, that would be easy to top

I meant content of the actual conference-wise.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

axleblaze posted:

I meant content of the actual conference-wise.
Oh yeah, there was some cool poo poo. But then there always is, and all the best stuff gets pushed out years or disappoints, because lol E3 curse

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

The Walrus posted:

I tried the Vive once a few months ago and I am also completely sold. It's unlike anything I've experienced before.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWvyJ05TdC8

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Monster Factory is the best thing that Polygon has ever done.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CrashCat posted:

Oh yeah, there was some cool poo poo. But then there always is, and all the best stuff gets pushed out years or disappoints, because lol E3 curse

It's cool that Nintendo uses E3 as it was originally intended, to list the games being released in the next 12 months and when they'll be available and everybody hates them for it. The only game from last year's direct that I can remember that isn't available yet that Metroid game.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

Room scale is totally a gimmick

Have you tried it? I'm not saying it's going to take off as is but we are in cathode ray TV era. Wait for smaller standalone headsets, inside out tracking, etc. Its not a gimmick, its pretty much a god damned holodeck.

And I wasn't sold before I got the thing. I had my hopes but pretty much figured it would be like having a monitor on your head. But it's not, like I said it's as if you are really there, and that's despite the limited resolution.

As far as non Wii sports games with substance, job simulator and tiltbrush took up 8 hours straight with my first day on the hardware and I had like 20 more to try and didn't get to because I was so absorbed.They're not AAA but there's substance there.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

It's cool that Nintendo uses E3 as it was originally intended, to list the games being released in the next 12 months and when they'll be available and everybody hates them for it. The only game from last year's direct that I can remember that isn't available yet that Metroid game.
Nintendo's letting the hype slowly build for that one. They'll release it when Federation Force hysteria is at its peak.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Metroid Federation Force. The rioting is increasing to the point where we may not be able to contain it.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Kensuke Tanabe stands on the precipice of Nintendo headquarters. He has toiled for seven long years to bring his latest and greatest revelation to the world. Yet the masses below are confused, anxious, and worried, mistaking his idealism for insanity, and feverishly calling for his head. Despite the outcries, only Kensuke Tanabe will know that the masses will be silenced once he is finished. This August, everyone will know, and everyone will bear witness to the will of Kensuke Tanabe, producer at Nintendo.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
E3 is pretty dumb in a lot of ways. Mostly the "this is a completely bullshit representation of this product but you should get hyped for it." I'm also dumb for buying some of that stuff each year :smith:.

Also wasn't there a huge freakout over the Metroid game from last years E3? Or was that Star Fox? As in, people got stupidly mad over the most inane thing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Kensuke Tanabe stands on the precipice of Nintendo headquarters. He has toiled for seven long years to bring his latest and greatest revelation to the world. Yet the masses below are confused, anxious, and worried, mistaking his idealism for insanity, and feverishly calling for his head. Despite the outcries, only Kensuke Tanabe will know that the masses will be silenced once he is finished. This August, everyone will know, and everyone will bear witness to the will of Kensuke Tanabe, producer at Nintendo.

Who is this Kensuke Tanabe fella I am hearing so much about sounds like a new player in the video game meatspace to look out for

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Also wasn't there a huge freakout over the Metroid game from last years E3? Or was that Star Fox? As in, people got stupidly mad over the most inane thing.

It was both. Metroid got blasted for being a spin-off after five years without a mainline title and Star Fox was dumped on for being "not what people wanted" when all they wanted was Star Fox 64 2, but when they got it they still complained about how it was too samey.

Joke's on them tho because Star Fox Zero is amazing

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gotcha.

Also PS+ games look pretty neat.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/05/31/nba-2k16-and-gone-home-join-playstation-plus-this-month/

NBA2k16 I hear is fun and the 2v2 stuff should be good. I also never tried Gone Home so guess I'll see what all the fuss was about and if it was really a non-game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I never understood the star fox hate but as someone who has been loving Metroid games for basically as long as I've been gaming, Federation Force is a hard pill to swallow

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh also Her Story is in the latest Humble Bundle and it's really good and you should play it if you love puzzle games.

It's probably one of my favorite games in a long time.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Walrus posted:

As far as non Wii sports games with substance, job simulator and tiltbrush took up 8 hours straight with my first day on the hardware and I had like 20 more to try and didn't get to because I was so absorbed.They're not AAA but there's substance there.
It's a pity that no studio/publisher overcame their cowardice and made a AAA title for the launch though, they would basically have a monopoly for a while. And they've had years to prepare one.

That's really my big beef with this stuff, we've been teased about the Oculus and so forth since 2012, and the field doesn't seem to reflect that at all. And that all says to me that nobody had any confidence in VR for PCs despite the years of hype.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Metroid Federation Force. The rioting is increasing to the point where we may not be able to contain it.

Why contain it?

s'cool

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Shindragon posted:

Thanks Kite for the kind words! Also Skylanders eh? I felt sorry for my cousin when her kids end up discovering Skylanders and wanted every toy. She just told me, just wait til you have kids and you'll know how it feels. Haha.

That's cool you are doing more co op with your fiancee. I do that with my GF from time to time when we were both aren't.

We are still hopeful to get a Wii U soon. God I really wanna play Wonderful 101, Super Mario World 3D, Splatoon (my GF really wants this game), Bayonetta 2.

And of course Star Fox Zero.

Yeah skylanders poo poo cause it isn't like we want to get *all* the figures or anything like that, we've got a local electronics thrift store that has a bunch of the fuckers for cheap and they're kinda easy to find cheap so we can pick up whichever ones we think would be neat to play as and leave it at that.

Co-op games are fun, I like playing hyrule warriors & mario 3d world with her.

I hope you are able to get a wii u soon. I saw that wonderful 101 was only $15 at walmart and that's weird cause even at gamestop it's like $25 I think and it didn't have a rollback tag or clearance tag so I think that might just be its normal price at the moment.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I never understood the star fox hate but as someone who has been loving Metroid games for basically as long as I've been gaming, Federation Force is a hard pill to swallow

Giving E3 showfloor demos with a novel control scheme is probably not a good idea

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CrashCat posted:

It's a pity that no studio/publisher overcame their cowardice and made a AAA title for the launch though, they would basically have a monopoly for a while. And they've had years to prepare one.

That's really my big beef with this stuff, we've been teased about the Oculus and so forth since 2012, and the field doesn't seem to reflect that at all. And that all says to me that nobody had any confidence in VR for PCs despite the years of hype.

That would be nice, but true AAA costs 20 mil+ to make. At 60 bucks a unit even if every single current VR owner bought one it wouldn't come close to breaking even. You need the install base, but even with the promise of that in PSVR any big publisher is getting kickbacks from sony to create a game for their platform (this I don't know for sure but I assume knowing how the industry tends to work).

It's not so much a matter of confidence in the idea, more knowing that the install base is not there *yet*. There's no one game that could singlehandedly turn the HMDs that are out there into 50 million plus selling consoles, not even if nintendo made the next mainline pokemon exclusive on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yeah I suppose you got a good point there.

Still would have been at least good to see at least some sort of strong showing from someone besides EVE, even if it lies somewhere between Job Simulator and a regular game blockbuster :shrug:

• Locked thread