Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I will not be satisfied with VR until .hack can be realized.

And then they went with sword art online instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CrashCat posted:

It's a pity that no studio/publisher overcame their cowardice and made a AAA title for the launch though, they would basically have a monopoly for a while. And they've had years to prepare one.

That's really my big beef with this stuff, we've been teased about the Oculus and so forth since 2012, and the field doesn't seem to reflect that at all. And that all says to me that nobody had any confidence in VR for PCs despite the years of hype.

I think there's a lot of concerns around VR that come from different places. The first is the "is this just a gimmick?" thing. It sounds like any time anyone actually tries it, they feel like it's not. So assuming it wouldn't just be a gimmick, there's the concern over price-point and whether large numbers of people would adopt it. Then there's the concern of whether it should be as widely adopted as other entertainment technologies - unlike games, TV, and movies that draw your attention (or may take up a lot of your attention but for discrete blocks of time), VR actively blocks out other stimuli. That starts bringing up ethical questions like "should kids use this thing" and even "should parents use this thing." On that last point, I personally I think it's going to come down to personal responsibility and it's not like society hasn't dealt with other technologies that present similar challenges to how we assign our attention (TV, games, smartphones, etc).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I would love to experience a game like .hack//sign in my lifetime, and not like every other .hack// product after

Something with just a lot of exploration and weird stuff

Preferably without the seizure comas that lock your brain into the game tho

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I said this the last time it came up but here I go again: The reason the layman doesn't buy into VR is because it's a huge monetary investment that, right now, has very little immediate payoff. It's like buying a console before any of the major launch titles come out.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I want the whole experience :colbert:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like how the world of .hack//'s backstory includes stuff like "the first time a person has been sentenced to death for cybercrimes" because they created a virus that gave people seizures and it killed a few people or something like that, and also the pluto's kiss virus which was just some teenager loving around and they ended up taking down like 90% of the world's devices because they were all connected to the internet in some way

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FirstAidKite posted:

Why contain it?

Let it spill over the schools and churches, let the bodies pile up in the streets. In the end they'll beg us to save them.

CJacobs posted:

I said this the last time it came up but here I go again: The reason the layman doesn't buy into VR is because it's a huge monetary investment that, right now, has very little immediate payoff. It's like buying a console before any of the major launch titles come out.

Its the same problem 4K TVs have, and its going to be tough to get it to slowly convert to a big enough population that good content starts getting made for it.

But just like 4K its kinda inevitable that it'll win out. And when it does.... then we'll get the .hack// game we all want.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

I don't think anyone would argue with that - it's a transcendent experience when you try it, but it's at the enthusiast stage now. Hence why I said I'm excited for the future - by your very analogy (a launch console) this poo poo is going places. Maybe not this generation, maybe not the next, but it's happening.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
VIVE and Rift CV1 are the 1st generation IPODs. A few early-adopters buy them to be the cool people with the hot new poo poo, but there's just not as much to do with it and the hardware is way more expensive and way shittier than what you'll get a few generations down the line.

By the time Rift 4S comes out, poo poo'll be huge.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

And when it does.... then we'll get the .hack// game we all want.

We can only hope

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I like how the world of .hack//'s backstory includes stuff like "the first time a person has been sentenced to death for cybercrimes" because they created a virus that gave people seizures and it killed a few people or something like that, and also the pluto's kiss virus which was just some teenager loving around and they ended up taking down like 90% of the world's devices because they were all connected to the internet in some way

Did you only watch Sign?

It seems like I've noticed a ton of people online either watched the animes or played the games and not many people did both.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only thing I remember about the Pluto's Kiss part of .hack was that it was how I found out that in that universe the US president's name is Jim Stonecold

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Did you only watch Sign?

It seems like I've noticed a ton of people online either watched the animes or played the games and not many people did both.

I watched sign, enjoyed it greatly, played the first four games, enjoyed the weird designs on the phases and the character interaction but as the games went on I got bored with them because they were not really all the fun due to the data drain and core hunting and poo poo like that. The fact that they gave you an ability you needed to use to obtain keys to progress in the game, but that if you used the ability too much you would get a game over and had to go kill monsters normally, but that a lot of areas had monsters that could only be killed with the ability that can cause game overs, was just really lovely design.

I read one of the books but I don't remember anything about it and I saw bits and pieces of that legend of the twilight anime but eh nothing really stuck with me like sign did. Sign is slow as gently caress and I'm sure it could be compressed down, but I really liked it at the time as just this neat little show about people talking to each other and trying to solve a mystery about the weird internet and the mmorpg they play, without emphasis on action or anything like that

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I would like to apologize to whoever was involved in running the Games forum Sheep Game from 2015 because apparently I won the drat thing and never noticed. Well, bye

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, it's really too early but I guess it feels later because we got to see a lot of the poo poo we normally wouldn't get a peek at.

I think they may have shot too high with cost and capability, unfortunately, so this is kind of the Laserdisc part of the product timeline, where it's a bit dumb to get one but once you've seen it you wish it was everywhere

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DoubleDonut posted:

I would like to apologize to whoever was involved in running the Games forum Sheep Game from 2015 because apparently I won the drat thing and never noticed. Well, bye

Gratz

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FirstAidKite posted:

.hack had/has a lot of neat concepts but executes them all terribly. I played all four games and I honestly can't really say for certain what the plot or the resolution really is--something about the online game being remade or something like that, the birth of a sentient a.i., I dunno, it was all so muddled and told so slowly that it really felt half-baked by its conclusion.

I liked the little touches and the sort of style of the World itself, the characters were fun--I sort of wish that there had been more fleshed out side-stories for the optional characters, but I definitely enjoyed getting a wide range of party members to recruit. GU's biggest flaw was failing to let me recruit any of the cool characters (except for Piros III) for two whole freakin' games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Did you only watch Sign?

.hack//SIGN and .hack//Infection (and probably Mutation, Outbreak and Quarantine too but I didn't play them) are great.

Everything else sucks pretty bad.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I watched sign, enjoyed it greatly, played the first four games, enjoyed the weird designs on the phases and the character interaction but as the games went on I got bored with them because they were not really all the fun due to the data drain and core hunting and poo poo like that. The fact that they gave you an ability you needed to use to obtain keys to progress in the game, but that if you used the ability too much you would get a game over and had to go kill monsters normally, but that a lot of areas had monsters that could only be killed with the ability that can cause game overs, was just really lovely design.

I read one of the books but I don't remember anything about it and I saw bits and pieces of that legend of the twilight anime but eh nothing really stuck with me like sign did. Sign is slow as gently caress and I'm sure it could be compressed down, but I really liked it at the time as just this neat little show about people talking to each other and trying to solve a mystery about the weird internet and the mmorpg they play, without emphasis on action or anything like that

I think the last of the first four games has one of the worst fetch quests I've seen in a game, definitely. It felt like they only had an additional 4 hours of content and then needed to stretch out because each of the others was at least 15.

I did like how you could watch the show and then remember an area that they went to and then go to it in the game and get equipment from the characters in the show.

The problem that series had is that half of the supplemental stuff is canon, and the other half is not. Like the Twilight anime wasn't canon but the manga of it was. And then when you're starting G.U. you get a tutorial, and then there's a cut for where the entirety of the Roots anime takes place, and then ANOTHER tutorial because of plot reasons. And while there's a lot of stuff that's unimportant there's a lot of stuff that's just not clear.

If you played the first four games all the way through but didn't watch the OVAs that came with them, there's this weird cut in the final boss fight where some Deus Ex Machina poo poo happens, but the OVAs show what happened there, weird poo poo like that.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

.hack had/has a lot of neat concepts but executes them all terribly. I played all four games and I honestly can't really say for certain what the plot or the resolution really is--something about the online game being remade or something like that, the birth of a sentient a.i., I dunno, it was all so muddled and told so slowly that it really felt half-baked by its conclusion.

It's a giant jesus thing, basically. Guy is crazy thirsty so he creates an MMO based on an epic poem this girl he liked wrote who died when he was going to date her. The MMO is a front to create this AI mommy program basically that nurtures another AI that he considered his child with her. The mommy AI eventually self-realizes that it's going to be destroyed by being absorbed by the child AI when it's "born" so starts rebelling against the whole system and trying to trap it. You kill Jesus Aura and then she's reborn as the Internet god.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Been playing older games of late(not super old, like 2010-2013 old) One game that is actually pretty fun is the 3rd army of two game. the devils cartel. its like 10 bucks now in stores, i would suggest picking it up. also 40th day wasnt bad either.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Been playing older games of late(not super old, like 2010-2013 old) One game that is actually pretty fun is the 3rd army of two game. the devils cartel. its like 10 bucks now in stores, i would suggest picking it up. also 40th day wasnt bad either.

Holy poo poo I didn't even know there was a third one.

How does that happen in a world where MediEvil 3 never got made?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't even know there was a third one.

How does that happen in a world where MediEvil 3 never got made?

The same world where ZoE 3 got cancelled because of a lovely HD port.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In Training posted:

I never understood the star fox hate but as someone who has been loving Metroid games for basically as long as I've been gaming, Federation Force is a hard pill to swallow

It'd be nice if we got another Metroid, but there might not anybody at Nintendo with both the interest and ability. Sakamoto's done, and I have the impression that Retro was pretty burnt out by Prime 3.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The only thing that bothered me when they announced Federation Force was the revelation that they had not even started a full-fledged Metroid game, and that if they were to start then it would take them 3 years.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

The only thing that bothered me when they announced Federation Force was the revelation that they had not even started a full-fledged Metroid game, and that if they were to start then it would take them 3 years.

I was actually mildly interested in it until a direct later in the year revealed it was a friggin loot shooter.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really can't bring myself to give a gently caress about 3D fast paced action games on a handheld any more. I can't think of a single one I've played lately that didn't make me think 'this is janky as gently caress but it might have been ok on a console/PC'. Federation Force just looks like a decent-ish console game that was made nigh-unplayable by putting it on 3DS.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Phantasium posted:

It's a giant jesus thing, basically. Guy is crazy thirsty so he creates an MMO based on an epic poem this girl he liked wrote who died when he was going to date her. The MMO is a front to create this AI mommy program basically that nurtures another AI that he considered his child with her. The mommy AI eventually self-realizes that it's going to be destroyed by being absorbed by the child AI when it's "born" so starts rebelling against the whole system and trying to trap it. You kill Jesus Aura and then she's reborn as the Internet god.

Thanks for saving me the time of watching/playing that. That sounds pretty dumb.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
By the way speaking of VR games, there's that Goon made House of the Dying Sun (formerly known as Enemy Starfighter) that'll have VR support so that'd be neat to play with a headset.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

bloodychill posted:

Thanks for saving me the time of watching/playing that. That sounds pretty dumb.

It is, but the game's got this sort of low-tech charm to it. It's quite ugly and very overblown and so much of it is vague hints and teases. It's basically the anime version of Lost, come to think of it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also the programmer put in a vague anti-cheat device that matches in threat to the cheat device against the player. In G.U. a character does a thing that makes it look like a cheat device has used the entire Internet. The anti-cheat device then goes on to grow in size enough to shut off the entire Internet, which makes it so a satellite threatens to crash into Japan because it needs the Internet?

I think it's all fun as hell personally.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Unfunny Poster posted:

As in, people got stupidly mad over the most inane thing.

Business as usual then?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
.hack the planet

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

.hack the planet

.hack//Gibson

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Playing Oracle of Seasons for the first time. Turns out it is a good game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
.hack could have been one pretty good game but stretching it over four games and adding a bunch of MMORPG padding to justify it ruined a lot of that.

I'd much rather they made a Summer Wars game because that bonkers anything-goes design philosophy is a lot more interesting than vaguely European fantasy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

.hack//Gibson

:eyepop: This has been a powerful thread

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Heeey wait a minute. In Uncharted 4, why did Avery make the trail to Libertalia so long, convoluted and dangerous? While you're on the trail they speculate that he was recruiting the best, bravest and most pious pirates to his cause. But if he was just planning to rob them anyway then why the gently caress.

(I realise that the answer is 'so the first two thirds of the game can happen').

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's June soon, where's the thread

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FirstAidKite posted:

I would love to experience a game like .hack//sign in my lifetime, and not like every other .hack// product after

Something with just a lot of exploration and weird stuff

its a price im willing to pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Watched the first series, played the first game. I can't believe the .hack genre was even considered games they were so bad.

Go back and try to watch that series, I bet you cant because it also sucks rear end.

• Locked thread