Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just want to say that having gotten my vive yesterday VR is loving crazy and the future. its not a gimmick, it's actually like you are in these places. Amazing. Can't wait to be a videogamin grandpa in 2060

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rexroom posted:

It might be the future, but we ain't there yet. It needs a killer app fast or it'll only have a future in specialized markets.

I dont think it's a question of having a killer app it's a question of affordability and ease of use. Budget Cuts' demo alone is the most exciting launch game I have played since Mario 64.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

Room scale is totally a gimmick

Have you tried it? I'm not saying it's going to take off as is but we are in cathode ray TV era. Wait for smaller standalone headsets, inside out tracking, etc. Its not a gimmick, its pretty much a god damned holodeck.

And I wasn't sold before I got the thing. I had my hopes but pretty much figured it would be like having a monitor on your head. But it's not, like I said it's as if you are really there, and that's despite the limited resolution.

As far as non Wii sports games with substance, job simulator and tiltbrush took up 8 hours straight with my first day on the hardware and I had like 20 more to try and didn't get to because I was so absorbed.They're not AAA but there's substance there.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CrashCat posted:

It's a pity that no studio/publisher overcame their cowardice and made a AAA title for the launch though, they would basically have a monopoly for a while. And they've had years to prepare one.

That's really my big beef with this stuff, we've been teased about the Oculus and so forth since 2012, and the field doesn't seem to reflect that at all. And that all says to me that nobody had any confidence in VR for PCs despite the years of hype.

That would be nice, but true AAA costs 20 mil+ to make. At 60 bucks a unit even if every single current VR owner bought one it wouldn't come close to breaking even. You need the install base, but even with the promise of that in PSVR any big publisher is getting kickbacks from sony to create a game for their platform (this I don't know for sure but I assume knowing how the industry tends to work).

It's not so much a matter of confidence in the idea, more knowing that the install base is not there *yet*. There's no one game that could singlehandedly turn the HMDs that are out there into 50 million plus selling consoles, not even if nintendo made the next mainline pokemon exclusive on them.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

I said this the last time it came up but here I go again: The reason the layman doesn't buy into VR is because it's a huge monetary investment that, right now, has very little immediate payoff. It's like buying a console before any of the major launch titles come out.

I don't think anyone would argue with that - it's a transcendent experience when you try it, but it's at the enthusiast stage now. Hence why I said I'm excited for the future - by your very analogy (a launch console) this poo poo is going places. Maybe not this generation, maybe not the next, but it's happening.

• Locked thread