Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I hope I can still have my spot from last year's slow draft!

MrSargent posted:

What exactly is a slow draft? I would be interested in doing some mocks, which is the best site?

We do a fantasy football draft, but each owner gets a long time (like a day) to make each pick. It takes a long time to do the whole draft.
Here's last year's league. It's MFL, so you don't manage your team at all after the draft: just, each week, the best scorers in each position count and the lower guys don't count.

Since we did the slow draft super early last year, most teams had several players who didn't even play. Like, I had T-Rich as a very late pick, he earned zero points all year. Rod Streater earned 1.3 points all year, because he played a few snaps in one game only or something. So the outcome is pretty loving random.

Not that there's no strategy. Ask Former Kicker Ray Finkle about the "don't draft a D/ST" strategy and how well that worked out for them! LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
Does anyone have some suggestions for QB stashes in a dynasty league turning superflex in 2017. All obvious qbs are rostered, and I'm sure all of the halfway promising rookie qbs will be off the draft board early.

I'm thinking those qbs who were drafted to sit behind an aging starter, learning their trade, like Rodgers did. The 2 names I know of along those lines are Brett Hundley (GB), who is rostered, and Garret Grayson (NO), who I intend to pick up after the rookie draft.

Anyone know of anyone else worth picking up, or just keeping an eye on?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Aguamoose posted:

Does anyone have some suggestions for QB stashes in a dynasty league turning superflex in 2017. All obvious qbs are rostered, and I'm sure all of the halfway promising rookie qbs will be off the draft board early.

I'm thinking those qbs who were drafted to sit behind an aging starter, learning their trade, like Rodgers did. The 2 names I know of along those lines are Brett Hundley (GB), who is rostered, and Garret Grayson (NO), who I intend to pick up after the rookie draft.

Anyone know of anyone else worth picking up, or just keeping an eye on?

How many teams? Those are decent stashes, though if it's like 10 team or fewer I wouldn't bother. Even 12 team, I probably wouldn't drop a decent WR flier for Hundley. Guys like RG3, Hoyer, Sanchez, and Fitzpatrick are better bets to actually be usable anytime soon. You can go overboard hoarding QBs, even in superflex. If you have three startable guys and one young Grayson-esque stash, that's probably enough. If you don't have three startable guys, one of those mediocre QBs who is much more likely to actually play is definitely a better pick up.

Edit: I realize I sort of danced around my main point. Holding unproven backups to good QBs that are not in any danger of retiring soon is a bit too much in all but the deepest league. Grayson or Garoppolo are ok stashes, given the ages of the guys they're behind. Rodgers is 32 and in no danger of losing his job.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 4, 2016

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Jimmy G is the clear hold. He'll get his shot at starting 4 games this year - if he's good, it'll be too late to get him cheap.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
I think Garopollo is taken, so Garrett Grayson it is. Just made sense to me rather than drafting a qb like dak Prescott who will be sitting behind an older vet to see whether there was anyone from previous drafts was further along in a similar project.

I get loads of good advice from you guys, and while I do well in my leagues don't generally feel I can give much back. But you might find this useful - I spent some time playing with the reception perception data for the Rookie WRs for my own benefit to rank them based on all round ability, as I personally would prioritise that over situation, for dynasty at least. I also like data approaches because being from the UK I know nothing about these players aside from other people's opinions and so looking at data helps me feel like I've had some input into my decisions rather than just following an expert's ranking.

So, using the RP data I ranked each receiver against the variables which seemed most relevant to ability rather than usage, so ignored route type percentages for example, but included targets, catches, getting open against coverage, tackles broken, contested catches. I averaged the rank for each overall subsection and then ranking the receivers again based on that average. Them doing the same for their subsection ranks to get an overall rank. I'm not a data scientist by any means so my methods are probably flawed, but the overall rankings were:

1. Josh Doctson
2. Corey Coleman
3. Rashad Higgins
4. Laquon Treadwell
5. Malcolm Mitchell
6. Mike Thomas (Southern Miss/Rams)
7. Keyarris Garrett
8. Sterling Shephard
9. Braxton Miller
10. Leonte Carroo
11. Kenny Lawler
12. Demarcus Robinson
13. Mike Thomas (Ohio/NO)
14. Tajae Sharpe
15. Will Fuller
16. Charone Peake
17. Pharoh Cooper
18. Roger Lewis
19. Tyler Boyd
20. Aaron Burbidge
21. De'Runnya Wilson

I also compared that with some expert pre draft rankings/mocks and at the time it seemed like Higgins, Mitchell, Mike Thomas (Rams), Garrett and Lawler were good value for where they were being drafted, whereas the other Mike Thomas (Ohio/NO), Fuller, Pharoh Cooper and Tyler Boyd were going too early.

Hope someone either finds that interesting, or can tell me why it isn't!

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I hope I can still have my spot from last year's slow draft!

We do a fantasy football draft, but each owner gets a long time (like a day) to make each pick. It takes a long time to do the whole draft.
Here's last year's league. It's MFL, so you don't manage your team at all after the draft: just, each week, the best scorers in each position count and the lower guys don't count.

Since we did the slow draft super early last year, most teams had several players who didn't even play. Like, I had T-Rich as a very late pick, he earned zero points all year. Rod Streater earned 1.3 points all year, because he played a few snaps in one game only or something. So the outcome is pretty loving random.

Not that there's no strategy. Ask Former Kicker Ray Finkle about the "don't draft a D/ST" strategy and how well that worked out for them! LOL

I'd like in on this slow draft if there's still space.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
If the slow draft starts a week from Sunday or later I am down, like always. But I know there will be another one otherwise.

There's always another one.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zypher posted:

Good god do I want to be in another slow draft?

Of course I do

Veritek83 posted:

Definitely down for a goon MFL draft only

Cervixalot posted:

I'm in again this year.

coronaball posted:

In again for a slow draft.

The gambling addict in me would like to put a $10 entry fee on the slow draft. Or we could have a free one and a $10 one.

Rahzmataz posted:

Got 2 spaces? Me and the missus are looking for a league. She's not a goon, but I can vouch for her.

VietCampo posted:

I'd like in on this slow draft if there's still space.

Spoeank posted:

If the slow draft starts a week from Sunday or later I am down, like always. But I know there will be another one otherwise.

There's always another one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774787

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
:siren: Two spaces left in the Slow Draft! :siren:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How long does the average 10-12 person dynasty draft take?

(The first draft of a new dynasty league I mean, not the yearly rookie draft)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RCarr posted:

When we drafted 23 players on 12 teams last year using ESPN live draft, it took around three hours.
e. That was an auction draft, btw, don't do snake drafting for something as important as the first draft in a dynasty league. You can use the auction values to set salaries against team salary caps.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

RCarr posted:

I am on round 24 of 27 of a 12 team dynasty startup draft that started on Sunday morning. The draft is a slow email snake with a 4 hour clock for each pick, with rookies included and pick trading allowed.

I'm usually an auction guy, but the pick trading aspect made this pretty interesting.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
All my RL friends that i play Fantasy with are all casuals and only do the regular leagues and a couple leagues are keepers.

I'd love to join a brand new Dynasty league if anyone was planning on starting one up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So someone just offered me a 2017 3rd rounder for Brett Hundley (Dynasty obviously, rookie draft picks)

Have I missed something or should I pretty much just take the pick? I drafted him in like the 7th last year in case he turned into something and he's just chilling on my taxi squad otherwise

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

VietCampo posted:

All my RL friends that i play Fantasy with are all casuals and only do the regular leagues and a couple leagues are keepers.

I'd love to join a brand new Dynasty league if anyone was planning on starting one up.

I'm in a similar situation. I'd love to get in on some goon dynasty action.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
There are few things I fear more than a goon dynasty league and I say this as an official member of the FSWA.

loving horrifying.

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015
I'm down for an MFL draft if there are any spots left.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Goon dynasty league ftw, ya'll should make one.

I'm actually doing a start up draft right now and just wanted to gush a bit about my team so far. 12 team, 1 PPR, can start up to 5 WR (1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 WRT). I gave up my 2017 1st, pick 58, and pick 87 over the course of a few trades, and was able to get Allen Robinson, Mike Evans, Randall Cobb, Jordan Matthews, and Corey Coleman with five of the first 39 picks. I'm beyond pumped about this team.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
There are a few good players available as free agents in my dynasty league as people cut down ready for the rookie draft. You can use draft picks on FAs but I'm having trouble working out when in the draft to target them. The best I've come up with is working out which rookie draft pick the player would be worth in a trade according to the dynastyfftools.com calculator. Anyone have any other tips?

For reference the FAs I have my eye on are Jeff Janis and Devin Smith (both players Matt Harmon's reception perception analysis is optimistic about), and I have picks 9, 10, 20, 21, 22, 25, 33, 40, 44. The dynastyfftools.com method would have me using picks 20 and 33 respectively if I didn't want to overreach.

The Aguamoose fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 8, 2016

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Does that take into account that three of those picks in the twenties are yours? So there's less picks that potentially steal them from you.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
It doesn't... Not sure if it should though, as by using the trade calculator I'm equating the player value to the value of a particular pick, rather than counting the number of picks before the player should go, if that makes sense.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Fantasy football calculator is my favorite mock draft site for a few years now:
- quick to put absent people on auto draft
- shuffles up the rankings slightly each draft so you don't see the same guys going in the same spots
- knowledgeable base leads to some insightful conversations
- shows everyone's team at once so you can see how various strategies are working out

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have been doing ESPN for the money league I commission with friends and it has worked out pretty well so far.

The one exception and it is fairly annoying is the lack of customization options on scoring. I really want to change defensive scoring to not be penalized when the offense gives up a TD which isn't possible in ESPN.

A league member suggested yahoo and I don't know much about it. The biggest problem I have is losing the 2 years of history (only 2 years I know) but if it's better in the long run I'll do it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yahoo is loving awful as an interface, and also I believe has exactly the same scoring issue with defenses being penalized for pick sixes when they weren't on the field.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Defenses are not penalized in Yahoo on pick sixes; only the extra point counts against them. Personally I prefer the Yahoo interface since it looks more modern, has more statistical tools available, and in my opinion has a more clearly defined user flow. But to each his/her own.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Defenses are not penalized in Yahoo on pick sixes; only the extra point counts against them. Personally I prefer the Yahoo interface since it looks more modern, has more statistical tools available, and in my opinion has a more clearly defined user flow. But to each his/her own.

In my leagues experience Yahoo counts any kind of score against a defense.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

MacheteZombie posted:

In my leagues experience Yahoo counts any kind of score against a defense.

It might be a configurable setting, but my experience and https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN6441.html say otherwise, at least by default.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I think you're agreeing with each other. Pick sixes are not "scores against the defense".

To clarify, in default Yahoo scoring, the defense is not penalized when the opposing defense scores.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Yahoo is loving awful as an interface, and also I believe has exactly the same scoring issue with defenses being penalized for pick sixes when they weren't on the field.

It's never struck me as being crazy to define the people trying to tackle the ball carrier as the defense.

That being said, you can get around it, even in ESPN. IDP.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Bold RB prediction:

Eddie Lacy will be drafted where Zeke Elliott should be and vice versa.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Bold RB prediction:

Fantasyfootballcalculator mocks have their current ADP in the mid 2nd, as RB8 and RB10 respectively. Though a lot of fantasy pundits have Zeke ranked #2-4, which seems stupid high for a rookie.

The one that seems crazy to me right now is DeMarco Murray @ TEN and CJ Anderson going significantly ahead of Dion Lewis, JStew, and Ryan Mathews, sometimes by multiple rounds.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013

Spoeank posted:

Bold RB prediction:

After last year I just don't know if I can bring myself to draft Lacy. He killed me.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Ameer Abdullah #1 overall pick, book it ship it

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Forever_Peace posted:

Fantasyfootballcalculator mocks have their current ADP in the mid 2nd, as RB8 and RB10 respectively. Though a lot of fantasy pundits have Zeke ranked #2-4, which seems stupid high for a rookie.

The one that seems crazy to me right now is DeMarco Murray @ TEN and CJ Anderson going significantly ahead of Dion Lewis, JStew, and Ryan Mathews, sometimes by multiple rounds.

That TEN backfield just feels like a mess. I don't know what CJA has done to warrant any degree of confidence.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

That TEN backfield just feels like a mess. I don't know what CJA has done to warrant any degree of confidence.

In 9 games after week 6, he averaged 5.1 ypc, 70 total yards, and half a TD a game. So uh, not a total trainwreck for the latter half of the season, at least. If no PPR, I'd probably take him over Lewis, just barely. No idea how I feel about JStew and Mathews yet. Plenty of time yet for either of them to break before the season starts. If seasons started today, I'd like Mathews more than CJA, but probably take CJA over JStew.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

In 9 games after week 6, he averaged 5.1 ypc, 70 total yards, and half a TD a game. So uh, not a total trainwreck for the latter half of the season, at least. If no PPR, I'd probably take him over Lewis, just barely. No idea how I feel about JStew and Mathews yet. Plenty of time yet for either of them to break before the season starts. If seasons started today, I'd like Mathews more than CJA, but probably take CJA over JStew.

I mean... but what is special about the week 6 cutoff here? The thing about looking for promising subsets of games within the larger season as that smaller sample sizes are significantly noisier. CJA only took 85 carries after week 6.

85 carries from Donald Brown breaks 5.1YPC more than 10% of the time.

Compound this with the "implicit multiple comparisons" of looking through various subsets to find the one you like, and this doesn't really feel like a meaningful statistic...

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Forever_Peace posted:

Yeah fantasy football calculator have their ADPs really close now but ADPs in May are basically useless to August drafting. Sites launching Zeke into top 3-5 RB rankings is going to make it so every little thing has to break right for him to live up to his draft investment.

Ryan Mathews is going to be the steal of the draft. And it's me, the guy who hates CJA again. Daniel Jeremiah said Booker is already the best back in that backfield.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Yeah fantasy football calculator have their ADPs really close now but ADPs in May are basically useless to August drafting. Sites launching Zeke into top 3-5 RB rankings is going to make it so every little thing has to break right for him to live up to his draft investment.

Ryan Mathews is going to be the steal of the draft. And it's me, the guy who hates CJA again. Daniel Jeremiah said Booker is already the best back in that backfield.

Word.

Current trends that I hope continue (for my sake):
- Lewis and JStew in the late 4th
- Ryan Mathews in the 5th
- Forsett in the early 7th
- Danny Woodhead in the 8th
- Tevin Coleman in the 10th

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Forever_Peace posted:

I mean... but what is special about the week 6 cutoff here? The thing about looking for promising subsets of games within the larger season as that smaller sample sizes are significantly noisier. CJA only took 85 carries after week 6.

85 carries from Donald Brown breaks 5.1YPC more than 10% of the time.

Compound this with the "implicit multiple comparisons" of looking through various subsets to find the one you like, and this doesn't really feel like a meaningful statistic...

Sorry, in case it wasn't clear, I wasn't trying to make a super convincing case, and absolutely cherrypicked where to start. Something like "throw out the first few games when CJA was coming back into shape after injury (am I misremembering or did he get injured end of last year?) or shaking the rust off and he wasn't that bad." Of course, it doesn't hold up as a real analysis. He finished more strongly than he started seems fair, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

I'm just bitter because I didn't listen to Spoeank et al and took CJA in the 1st. :negative:

Won the league anyways but it was tough going there for a while.

• Locked thread