Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Nice write up. Yeah, Perriman was the one I was iffy on for you. I hate going after guys with stone hands, regardless of their measurables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

Nice write up. Yeah, Perriman was the one I was iffy on for you. I hate going after guys with stone hands, regardless of their measurables.

Good thing Perriman doesn't have stone hands he has diamond hands :v:

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Forever_Peace posted:

Holy smokes that's a lot of risk. On their own, the White, Perriman, and Doctson moves are all potentially individually justifiable for a gambler, but doing all three with nearly the entirety of early draft capital is ballsy as hell. Two years from now you could be just as easily dead last as a perennial winner. But hey, I guess that's better than being stuck in neutral forever!

Interested in hearing why you took Smelter over Coleman, Wright, or Bennett. That's the only really strange one in the mid-rounds for me - I really like the Lewis/Prosise/McKinnon/Ben picks.

Gronk Wears Short Shorts crushed it, despite spending like ten picks on shameless Pats homerism and a 3rd on Freeman over Miller/TY/Kelvin.

Yeah, I definitely regret the Perriman pick in particular, but I will say I am much more comfortable with risk than the average dynasty owner, for better or for worse. I built this team with a heavy youth movement/UTH philosophy in mind. With few exceptions, I selected only players who stand to maintain or increase their value in the next 2 years. I am super active on the waiver wire and trade market, and am usually ahead of the curve in rising/falling player values compared to the rest of my leagues, so I plan to use that to my advantage.

I took Smelter there for a few reasons. I like his tape and his metrics (dude has 11 inch mitts) and he has a clear path to a big role in his offense, though he's admittedly raw. His pricetag has been steadily increasing (he's gone from a 3rd/4th round rookie pick in value to an early-mid 2nd in the past few months), and could see a big jump this coming season if he does anything with his opportunity. I own Smelter in every league I'm in.

I also didn't think he'd be there when my pick came back around. Based on previous picks and trade chatter, I noted that two other owners in the league seemed to have adopted relatively similar drafting strategies to me (n9ners nation and sammie's sleeves) and preferred similar types of players. Not to metion one of them is a Niners homer.

Was it a reach? Sure. But since I"m not aiming to compete in year 1, I'd much rather pick up a player that has a good chance to increase his value (and an outside chance of hitting a home run) than someone like Kendall Wright, who I see as only going down in value from this point forward.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Dynasty Draft Journal, Part 2:

Since I traded away my 5th round pick, my next available pick was 6.09.

However, TJ Yeldon, an RB I have ranked higher than most (I don't believe Ivory is going to cut into his workload as much as people think), fell into the early 6th round, at least a round later than I expected him to be taken. I didn't believe he'd make it to me at 6.09, so I negotiated a trade up to take him at 6.02.

TRADE UP! 6.02 - TJ Yeldon, RB

I gave 10.09, 12.09, 15.04 and my 2017 2nd rounder for 6.02, 11.02 and 17.02.

It's sorta hard to parse this one, but I moved up four rounds from 10 to 6, up one from 12 to 11, and back two from 15 to 17. The 2017 2nd made up the difference. We're in mid-to late first round rookie pick range values in the early 6th, so I think this was a pretty good move for me, though time will tell if I'm right on Yeldon.

6.09 - Dion Lewis, RB

I would have taken Allen Hurns here if he fell to me, but I'm pretty happy with the RBs available at this range. I was choosing between Dion, CJ and Ajayi here, and felt pretty comfortable in a 1 point PPR format going with the highly productive Lewis at this spot. While his health might be a question mark, his usage, NE's signing him to an extension and their lack of capital spent on an RB in the offseason gives me confidence in his role for at least the next year or two.

Devontae Booker being drafted high in Denver gave me pause for CJ, despite his big money contract.

I traded my 7th round pick away earlier, so my next pick is:

8.09 - Zach Ertz, TE
As I mentioned earlier, I don't love taking TEs or QBs early, but I thought Ertz was a nice value here. His stats over the past few years have been trending upwards, and Philly extending him with a nice contract is a good sign for his future. Maybe Doug Pederson will use him more than they used Kelce in KC?

9.04 - CJ Prosise, RB
My run on RBs continues. Prosise is a converted WR, and was drafted by Seattle to be their third down back. He has potential to be an every down player if he develops, but I think he still has plenty of value even if he only catches passes. Immediately after making this pick, I had an owner reach out and try to trade for him, so I'm keeping that in mind for later.

I considered taking Jerick McKinnon or Marcus Mariota (who I thought slipped way farther than he should have) here, but since rookie fever was starting to ramp up as evidenced by the draft board, I figured I'd have to strike sooner rather than later if I wanted to walk away with one of the top rookie RBs.

10.02 (acquired through trade) - Jerick McKinnon, RB
Mariota went off the board at the turn much to my chagrin, but McKinnon was still hanging around at my next pick, which made this an easy decision. Great metrics, flashed some serious ability in his limited role last year, and as much as AP wants to play until he's 40, at some point, the Vikings are going to move on.

11.01(acquired through trade) - Ben Roethlisberger, QB
With 6 point passing TDs, it's less easy to pass on good QBs at this range. Even sans Martavis Bryant, the PIT O should be great this year, and Ben still has a couple of years left of play in him. Loved the value here, but I will need to make sure I also take a young QB to develop, and a serviceable backup to plug in in case of injury. Normally I wouldn't roster 3 QBs in a 12 team, start 1 league, but with roster sizes, most will be rostered.

11.04 - DeAndre Smelter, WR
I posted my rationale on Smelter above, but basically, reached for the player, high upside, possibile breakout this year. He's been an offseason hyped sleeper, and the metrics look good.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
With the severity of his injury and spotty usage before it, how far does Jimmy Graham have to fall in a dynasty draft before he is worth a punt? Or should he not be touched with a bargepole?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Did someone ask about when you should draft a TE because I thought we already decided that the only correct answer is never

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
This is correct and also do not touch rookie TEs with a ten foot pole.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
Er... message received!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Aguamoose posted:

With the severity of his injury and spotty usage before it, how far does Jimmy Graham have to fall in a dynasty draft before he is worth a punt? Or should he not be touched with a bargepole?

The other two are being a bit extreme, but just barely. A good rookie TE is fine to draft late, like after the first 120+ picks. Graham isn't worth much though, I probably would let him drop to TE20+. You're basically banking on him coming back healthy, Seattle continuing to throw a lot, and Graham being a beneficiary of that. Dandy also maybe missed that it was dynasty, meaning you should definitely draft a TE at some point, though I'd likely leave it til last starting position and after 2-3 viable bench WRs and RBs. But if a decent TE drops, you absolutely should draft them before the latest garbage WR or RB flier of the week ("no really, Zach Zenner and Jeff Janis are going to be awesome, why would you want Ertz or Fleener over them?!"). Don't avoid drafting a TE if the value is there just because Dandy says so, he's only right about redraft. If someone drops a round or two past ADP, especially in the first 100 picks, and they fit the general youthiness and needs of your roster, grab them.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 16, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Oh whoops dynasty. Ignore my rookie TE thing and make it "don't bail year one because rookie TEs are useless"

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
I already have a TE, Ebron (who I did probably take too early), the question was prompted because I'm at round 16 and Graham's still on the board and I couldn't decide whether to be surprised or not.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Oh whoops dynasty. Ignore my rookie TE thing and make it "don't bail year one because rookie TEs are useless"

When can I drop CJ Fiedorowicz?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Ben Nevis posted:

When can I drop CJ Fiedorowicz?

I dropped him at the end of least season but man it really stung.

I miss you CFiz.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
So just did a 12 team mock on Yahoo, which is the only one not blocked at work, and found myself in the 10th and 11th round staring a Crowell, Woodhead, and Yeldon. Now, obviously, some of this is due to the dumb way Yahoo autodrafts, but I have been seeing those fairly late in some other drafts too. All of those 3, to me, seem like potentially startable dudes, not just 4th or 5th bench RBs. Am I way off base here?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I'd draft Woodhead in the 10th without even thinking about it. He's chronically undervalued and will play a key piece in that offense even if Melvin Gordon comes back from microfracture surgery without issue. I think both Crow and Yeldon could pan out as RB2s with upside, but their backfield situations are a little murkier.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Unless the Jags drastically un-retard themselves and give Yeldon goal-line carries, his upside will be limited. I mean poo poo, they gave Shoelace and Gerhart like a billion goal-line carries last year.

They went and got Chris Ivory, so I don't think they've un-retarded themselves.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Anyone interested in grading my Leagues rookie draft?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Anyone interested in grading my Leagues rookie draft?

Sure, post it and I'll give my thoughts. I'm sure others will too.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Spoeank posted:

Unless the Jags drastically un-retard themselves and give Yeldon goal-line carries, his upside will be limited. I mean poo poo, they gave Shoelace and Gerhart like a billion goal-line carries last year.

They went and got Chris Ivory, so I don't think they've un-retarded themselves.

Giving Ivory goal line carries would be exponentially less mad than giving them to a useless Gerhart or a gadget player, though.

Which reminded me of this!

1-1-BUF 1
(7:29) JAC 93 reports eligible 21-T.Gerhart right guard to BUF 1 for no gain (53-N.Bradham).
2-1-BUF 1
(6:51) 21-T.Gerhart right guard to BUF 1 for no gain (52-P.Brown).
3-1-BUF 1
(6:17) 21-T.Gerhart left guard to BUF 1 for no gain (98-A.Carrington).
4-1-BUF 1
(5:37) 21-T.Gerhart right tackle to BUF 1 for no gain (30-B.Rambo).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Sure, post it and I'll give my thoughts. I'm sure others will too.

Cool, here it is. I'm Metropolis Meteors:

If it's hard to read or the formatting sucks in general let me know and I'll make it better.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 17, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Cool, here it is. I'm Metropolis Meteors:

If it's hard to read or the formatting sucks in general let me know and I'll make it better.

What are starting requirements, and any PPR?

Unless standard scoring, I definitely like Doctson over Henry. Personally would go Shepard and Thomas over him too, but those aren't as clear cut. Prosise at 9 is fine. I probably would've taken Marshall and Howard before the WRs taken in the second, but I'm just not super excited about Fuller or Miller. I actually don't know anything about Ervin, ha. I know he's the only potentially credible RB behind Lamar Miller, but nothing else. I should probably fix that. Round 3 and 4, who knows, but I like the Drake pick for if Ajayi just isn't any good.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

What are starting requirements, and any PPR?

Unless standard scoring, I definitely like Doctson over Henry. Personally would go Shepard and Thomas over him too, but those aren't as clear cut. Prosise at 9 is fine. I probably would've taken Marshall and Howard before the WRs taken in the second, but I'm just not super excited about Fuller or Miller. I actually don't know anything about Ervin, ha. I know he's the only potentially credible RB behind Lamar Miller, but nothing else. I should probably fix that. Round 3 and 4, who knows, but I like the Drake pick for if Ajayi just isn't any good.

Kenyan Drake is great value in the late 3rd. I am also down with Prosise at 1.09, especially if it's full PPR.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Sorry. We do tiered PPR starting this season: QB/TE = 1 ppr (qbs getting one is a half joke thing since they don't catch balls too often), RB = .75, WR = .5 (just doing their drat jobs!)

Starting lineups: QB/RB/WR/TE/3x Flex/K/DST (league won't let me implement IDP :( )

Sounds like you guys liked my picks though, so that's good. I was pretty shocked Kenyan made it back to me at 3.09. I pulled for Ervin early because I own Lamar and am a sucker for handcuffs. (would have taken DeAndre Washington to go with my Latavius at 3.09 but got snaked by 3.08 who traded for 3.07 so he could get both picks he wanted)

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I've never seen/heard of that tiered PPR approach, but that seems like a really cool idea in theory. Gives a bit of a premium to volume TEs and makes 3rd down backs a bit more viable as starters as well.

I'll be interested to hear next offseason how it works in practice!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cervixalot posted:

I've never seen/heard of that tiered PPR approach, but that seems like a really cool idea in theory. Gives a bit of a premium to volume TEs and makes 3rd down backs a bit more viable as starters as well.

I'll be interested to hear next offseason how it works in practice!

Yeah, I'm pretty curious about it in practice too. The idea was that because we utilize 3 flex spots the league basically became "stack WRs to the ceiling" so we wanted to counteract that by giving increased points to rbs/tes. The worry is that certain top tier rbs/tes will create a large gap between their peers. Looking at you Jamaal Charles.

I hope it works out though, I like flexible starting rosters much more so than rigid ones, just have to strike a balance. I am debating proposing positional limits on the roster for next season (only 5 WRs rosterable, 3 QBs, etc.), but hopefully won't need too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I think tiered PPR is a good idea. Make TEs more important/tiered, and penalize WRs a bit relative to the more volatile and shorter careers of RBs. Dynasty is basically "hoard all the good young WRs," which tiered PPR might counteract a bit.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If ya'll are interested when the season starts I can post some player stats and stuff to see how the scoring bears out.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I played in a tiered PPR league in 2014 where it was 1 for WR/RB/QB/K and 1.5 for TE.

The guy who ended up winning took Jimmy Graham 3rd overall. One pick later, I took Adrian Peterson. Still managed to place 4/12, starting Julius Thomas, Martellus Bennett and Dwayne Allen as my TE and flexes.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Ben Nevis posted:

So just did a 12 team mock on Yahoo, which is the only one not blocked at work, and found myself in the 10th and 11th round staring a Crowell, Woodhead, and Yeldon. Now, obviously, some of this is due to the dumb way Yahoo autodrafts, but I have been seeing those fairly late in some other drafts too. All of those 3, to me, seem like potentially startable dudes, not just 4th or 5th bench RBs. Am I way off base here?

Woodhead finished as the 10th best running back last year...

... in STANDARD SCORING

I'd be shocked to see him drop past the 6th
Yeldon, too, should be getting grabbed in the top 75, agreed

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What podcasts do people like? My preference is for the Fantasy Footballers and CBS.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
There hasn't been much content yet, but I'm liking The Ringer NFL podcast. It's hosted by Robert Mays from the old Grantland podcast, with a seemingly rotating cast of co-hosts.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I listen to two regularly-
Football Guys- Cecil Lammey is too morning-zoo/drive-time for my tastes, but I like the rest of them quite a bit. Jene Brammel is my preferred injury guy.
ESPN Fantasy Focus- Matthew Berry is what he is, you either enjoy his schtick or you don't. As for the actual content- I like it during the season just to keep up with the actual news side of things.

Listened to Harris Football for most of last season, but at some point my hatred of Christopher Harris outweighed any value I was taking away from his contrarian perspective.

Mikey Purp posted:

There hasn't been much content yet, but I'm liking The Ringer NFL podcast. It's hosted by Robert Mays from the old Grantland podcast, with a seemingly rotating cast of co-hosts.

I miss the Grantland NFL pod. Barnwell's show is pretty good so far, though not a huge amount of NFL talk yet.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

The only reason to listen to The Audible is Sigmund Bloom (but what a reason) :swoon:

Also not conventional but Back Yard Banter Podcast by Matt Harmon is really cool (interviews with FF writers)

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Spoeank posted:

The only reason to listen to The Audible is Sigmund Bloom (but what a reason) :swoon:

Also not conventional but Back Yard Banter Podcast by Matt Harmon is really cool (interviews with FF writers)

Um actually Jene Bramel is the gem on the Audible.

Still want somebody to make a Doc B edit every week so I can just skip the rest of it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Preliminary BeerSheet...

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Preliminary BeerSheet...

Glad to see the first beersheets! Sparks some discussion, hopefully.

Man, I just can't do some of these. Jordy Nelson at WR#5 seems way too early. I'd probably take him borderline WR1, probably right around DT and Hilton. Kelvin Benjamin before the whole mess of target hogs behind him seems tough, he'd drop at least a handful of spots for me, I think. David Johnson as RB#2 is too high, Freeman at #3 is scary too. I think those two slot behind Miller or Ingram for me. Doug Martin seems too low at RB#11, behind McCoy?! Mathews and Lewis too low also. Matt Ryan and Romo a bit too low, Eli and Cousins too high. I probably still take Olsen as my TE#2, though whatever, Reed and Walker are fine.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Cooks seems overvalued imo

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Metapod posted:

Cooks seems overvalued imo

Eh, he finished last season WR12 despite a sluggish start, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up around there again.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What podcasts do people like? My preference is for the Fantasy Footballers and CBS.

I keep trying to like espn fantasy focus, but it's annoying fast forwarding through 15 minutes of schtick each podcast. Plus there are like maybe 2 people who know what they're doing. For instance, they just did an "Experts" mock draft: Someone picked a kicker in round 12, someone picked Cam and Kelvin and Eli and OBJ and then said they were all for "stacking" a WR-QB combo (which, if it happens naturally, is forgivable but aiming for it has been a ridiculous notion since the history of ever).. someone picked jordan reed in like the middle of round 2... it was painful to listen to

I like CBS because like 5 years ago they were really accurate and they won me a bunch of leagues. But they really don't get too in-depth, there's only 1-2 insights I glean from each podcast.

I've been just sticking with the NFL's Around-the-NFL podcast. IT's not fantasy football, but they know their stuff really well, obviously. Also, for being NFL employees, they rreally are allowed to say some poo poo (the host made a 9/11 joke the other day)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Around the NFL is top notch stuff. Might be my favorite podcast.

• Locked thread