Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
I still miss Grantland. :negative:

Doesn't Barnwall have a new one? Is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Anything over half-ppr has got to be Julio/Brown. I don't think I'd even consider anybody else.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Jimmy G is the clear hold. He'll get his shot at starting 4 games this year - if he's good, it'll be too late to get him cheap.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Bold RB prediction:

Eddie Lacy will be drafted where Zeke Elliott should be and vice versa.

Fantasyfootballcalculator mocks have their current ADP in the mid 2nd, as RB8 and RB10 respectively. Though a lot of fantasy pundits have Zeke ranked #2-4, which seems stupid high for a rookie.

The one that seems crazy to me right now is DeMarco Murray @ TEN and CJ Anderson going significantly ahead of Dion Lewis, JStew, and Ryan Mathews, sometimes by multiple rounds.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

In 9 games after week 6, he averaged 5.1 ypc, 70 total yards, and half a TD a game. So uh, not a total trainwreck for the latter half of the season, at least. If no PPR, I'd probably take him over Lewis, just barely. No idea how I feel about JStew and Mathews yet. Plenty of time yet for either of them to break before the season starts. If seasons started today, I'd like Mathews more than CJA, but probably take CJA over JStew.

I mean... but what is special about the week 6 cutoff here? The thing about looking for promising subsets of games within the larger season as that smaller sample sizes are significantly noisier. CJA only took 85 carries after week 6.

85 carries from Donald Brown breaks 5.1YPC more than 10% of the time.

Compound this with the "implicit multiple comparisons" of looking through various subsets to find the one you like, and this doesn't really feel like a meaningful statistic...

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Yeah fantasy football calculator have their ADPs really close now but ADPs in May are basically useless to August drafting. Sites launching Zeke into top 3-5 RB rankings is going to make it so every little thing has to break right for him to live up to his draft investment.

Ryan Mathews is going to be the steal of the draft. And it's me, the guy who hates CJA again. Daniel Jeremiah said Booker is already the best back in that backfield.

Word.

Current trends that I hope continue (for my sake):
- Lewis and JStew in the late 4th
- Ryan Mathews in the 5th
- Forsett in the early 7th
- Danny Woodhead in the 8th
- Tevin Coleman in the 10th

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

I'm just bitter because I didn't listen to Spoeank et al and took CJA in the 1st. :negative:

Won the league anyways but it was tough going there for a while.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Take WRs early if it's a dynasty league.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Something I'm working on for GroundControl: ballparking the greatest single-game rushing performances of the decade so far. I'm defining it as the game that would have been the least probable for a league-average back to pull off (sort of).

I'll leave the details for later, but here's the log of yards gained on rushing attempts for the current best game as a teaser:

-1 0 0 1 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 6 6 6 6 7 7 7 7 8 8 9 11 12 17 18 18 18

A run (by a running back) only gains 5 yards or more about a quarter of the time in the NFL. This person had 20 5+ yard runs in a single game.

edit: I think this one is my favorite though: 0 0 0 0 1 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 4 5 6 6 7 8 10 11 11 12 12 14 28 37

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 13, 2016

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

VietCampo posted:

Just as a guess, i'm thinking Moreno, i vaguely remember him doing 3 18 yard runs in OT once.

Yep.

For reference, here's what a sort of "middle of the road" game might look like, from Eddie Lacy last year (week 5):
-1 0 0 0 0 2 2 3 3 3 3 4 8

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Metapod posted:

If decade is being used as a nebulous term my guess is cj2k

If it's being used as strictly the 2010s my guess is Charles

E: drat I was way wrong

Yeah 2010s.

Charles had one of the top 5 games in both 2010 and 2012. CJ2K is #2 in 2011 with this from week 12:
-5 -3 -3 0 0 2 2 2 3 3 5 5 8 9 9 10 12 13 15 20 24 25 34

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

The worst game since 2010 is harder to estimate, but it really might be this one from Joique Bell last year (week 3):

-1 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 3

Ouch.

edit: although a 31-year-old Chester Taylor did this in 2010:
-2 -1 -1 0 0 1 1 1 2 4 5

Followed four weeks later with this:
-3 -2 -1 -1 0 0 0 1 2 4 5

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Is that Joique Bell line a full game with no injury?

Yup. Plus a reception for a two yard loss.

But hey Chris Harris loves the guy woohoo fantasy sleeper status!

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

First four rounds were stellar, which is the most important thing. Docston/Ebron/Agholor could sting later, but you're still looking fairly alright.

You need upside RBs now. Look for any of the following (assuming top 30 are gone):

McKinnon, Ryan Mathews, JStew, Coleman, Arian Foster, Jordan Howard, Prosise, Kenyan Drake, Charcandrick West, Ivory, Forsett, Cameron Artis-Payne, Alfred Morris, Lorenzo Taliaferro, LeGarrette Blount, Zach Zenner,

probably in that order for me.

I don't trust Ebron, but you can't afford to spend mid-round capital on another TE. Try to nab Charles Clay or Clive Walford in the late rounds.

Don't take a DST or K until the end of the draft, unless you have bizzaro scoring. DSTs are volatile from season to season, and Ks are all the same and don't really matter.

Rankings start to mean less the later you go. Don't be afraid to start "reaching" to just take the guy you like (after 10 rounds, "reaching" isn't even really a thing - just take the guy you like most that you think won't be there next round).

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Sure thing!

Not saying you didn't get good value for Doctson/Agholor. Given the lack of RBs, I would have just probably preferred any of Latavius/Karlos Williams/Abdullah/Hill if they were still around. But yeah both got plenty of upside.

I wouldn't have particularly high hopes for RB passing work in Oakland considering their criminal underuse of Reece and Helu. Josh Robinson is like 6th on the depth chart right now and might not see the field. Don't know anything about Lasco.

Nice job getting McKinnon. My nearest-neighbor algorithm on run distributions liked him a lot.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Holy smokes that's a lot of risk. On their own, the White, Perriman, and Doctson moves are all potentially individually justifiable for a gambler, but doing all three with nearly the entirety of early draft capital is ballsy as hell. Two years from now you could be just as easily dead last as a perennial winner. But hey, I guess that's better than being stuck in neutral forever!

Interested in hearing why you took Smelter over Coleman, Wright, or Bennett. That's the only really strange one in the mid-rounds for me - I really like the Lewis/Prosise/McKinnon/Ben picks.

Gronk Wears Short Shorts crushed it, despite spending like ten picks on shameless Pats homerism and a 3rd on Freeman over Miller/TY/Kelvin.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Ben Nevis posted:

When can I drop CJ Fiedorowicz?

I dropped him at the end of least season but man it really stung.

I miss you CFiz.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Spoeank posted:

The only reason to listen to The Audible is Sigmund Bloom (but what a reason) :swoon:

Also not conventional but Back Yard Banter Podcast by Matt Harmon is really cool (interviews with FF writers)

Um actually Jene Bramel is the gem on the Audible.

Still want somebody to make a Doc B edit every week so I can just skip the rest of it.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

I just discovered Eagle Eye in the Sky and I think it might be one of my favorites. Just listened to an interview with Tony Dungy on the history and theory of the Tampa 2 defense - not the kind of access you'd see on other pods.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Super fun kicker chat.

I'm starting to think that drafting Gostkowski a few rounds before the end of the draft isn't the dumbest idea in the world.

I noticed that Gostkowski was on something like 30%+ of league-leading teams on yahoo last year (it's their "fantasy MVP" list, which seems to be deleted every year in anticipation of the next). He was like in the top-15 most owned players by champtionship teams or something.

Format looks slick by the way! I like it.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Always take the Creed Guy.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shooting from the hip, here's my list of where I really, really want to value guys in ppr. Call it my "ballsy" list.

1 Le'Veon Bell PIT 
2 Adrian Peterson MIN 
3 Jamaal Charles KC 
4 Todd Gurley LA 
5 Mark Ingram NO 
6 Lamar Miller HOU 
7 David Johnson ARI 
8 Eddie Lacy GB 
9 Thomas Rawls SEA 
10 Dion Lewis NE 

11 Doug Martin TB 
12 LeSean McCoy BUF 
13 Ezekiel Elliott DAL 
14 Jonathan Stewart CAR 
15 Devonta Freeman ATL 

16 Carlos Hyde SF 
17 Ryan Mathews PHI 
18 Danny Woodhead SD 
19 Latavius Murray OAK 
20 Matt Forte NYJ 
21 Ameer Abdullah DET 
22 C.J. Anderson DEN 
23 Jeremy Hill CIN 
24 Matt Jones WAS 
25 Jay Ajayi MIA 

Did this without looking at MrSargent's rankings or Beersheets. Looks like we agree on a lot though.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Metapod posted:

A lot of people counting out the exotic smashmouth

So am I :ssh:

Last year, the guy I avoided no matter how far he fell was Jimmy Graham. This year, it's Murray.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

MrSargent posted:

You are absolutely right that I have Ingram valued too low. He quietly put up amazing totals despite having only 2 games where he scored 17+ points. That is a really consistent level of performance from game to game. Probably should be closer to 6-7 on my list.

After looking at FP's rankings, I think I probably have Devonta Freeman ranked way too high, but I think 15 is pretty low, especially in full PPR where he had the 2nd highest receptions for an RB this season. Any particular reason you are so down on Freeman? I know last year was his first good year, but it was really loving good.

Mostly because I think it'll be a timeshare. It's likely that Coleman is the better runner. I'll be targeting him late in all my drafts. Hopefully the receptions will still give Freeman a solid floor, though.

TBH I'm probably biased by Freeman's deficiencies as a runner.

quote:

Which Murray?

e: also, in Ground Control, did you do a quick hit over Latavius during the "younger rb" post? Can't remember and don't have the time to look at the moment.

DeMarco.

I did Latavius right after Freeman, actually!

quote:

(player comparables through distribution matching)
Devonta Freeman – Brandon Bolden. CJ Spiller but WAY worse for the first five yards. Currently looks like a home-run hitter boom/bust type, but I have a hunch that the “boom” in this case is the sound of Patrick DiMarco leveling linebackers rather than anything special that Freeman is doing in the open field (though to his credit, he is very fast – it’s a good pairing, and smart offensive design).
Latavius Murray – Darren McFadden (to an uncanny extent), Steven Jackson, 2010 Brandon Jackson. I think Oakland fans would be pretty happy with a more resilient and more consistent early-career McFadden.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Coleman is a better runner than Freeman is so hard to compare and I don't get the constant beat of that. Coleman is faster, yes, and has a bit more wiggle in his game than Freeman, but it might as well be two hand touch for how fast Coleman goes down or runs out of bounds compared to Freeman. Plus whenever he had a great run he would fumble.

I just rewatched every run for Coleman and Freeman in week one last year and it reinforced this to me. Coleman's 20 yard run in that game was a joke, it was a play action on their own goal line and Philly just ate poo poo hard on it.

That’s fair! Here’s the current state of the best evidence I can pull together about their ability as runners (from college stats, college tape evaluations, coachspeak and pro evaluations, measurables, 2015 rushing performance, and season-long head-to-head simulations).

Percentage of college total team offense
DF: 17.8%
TC: 43.2%

College YPC
DF: 5.9
TC: 7.5

Breakout Age (lower is better)
DF: 19.5
TC: 20.4

Drafted (lower is better)
DF: 4.03
TC: 3.09

Measurables
DF
TC (did not participate in combine)

Brugler Film Study

quote:

Freeman
STRENGTHS: Compactly built and has worked hard to fill out his frame…quick-footed with strong plant-and-go burst to change directions – accelerates to top speed quickly…fluid ankles to make sharp cuts and make defenders miss in space with his start/stop quickness…runs with balance and a low center of gravity to stay on his feet after contact – lowers his pads and powers forward or bounces off tacklers and keeps his legs churning…delivers hits and won’t leave yards on the field, running much more physical, tough and determined than he looks…excellent job following his blocks and slicing through the defense with controlled lateral burst…good effort and toughness in pass protection with aggressive hands and quick feet to mirror – was also used quite a bit as a lead blocker in Florida State’s offense…reliable pass catcher…durable and didn’t miss any time due to injury in college…productive three seasons in Tallahassee, setting career-bests as the leading rusher for the Seminoles National Title team in 2013.

WEAKNESSES: Frame appears maxed out and lacks room to get much bigger…doesn’t have ideal power and will struggle to break tackles as an inside runner – lacks the body strength to drag tacklers…too much east-west at times and often gets caught looking for the home run…good speed, but lacks a second gear downfield to run way from defenders…quick feet in pass protection, but lacks a stout anchor and can be run over by rushers…has a few fumbles on his resume and needs to improve his ball security…was part of a loaded backfield in college and was able to stay fresh – only two career games with 20+ carries, leading to questions about the workload he can handle in the NFL.

SUMMARY: A four-star RB recruit out of high school, Freeman quickly established himself as one of the top RBs on the roster once he arrived at Florida State, leading the Seminoles in rush attempts each of the last three seasons. He set career-bests as a junior in 2013 with 173 carries for 1,016 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns, becoming the first Florida State 1,000-yard rusher since 1996 (Warrick Dunn). Freeman is built low to the ground and runs even lower with forward lean and finishing toughness – love his energy and determination. He is dangerous in space with his quick, coordinated footwork and strong acceleration out of his cuts to be effective inside or outside – terrific mix of quickness and pop. Freeman has some Ahmad Bradshaw to him and can be a three-down player with his ability in pass protection and as a receiver – top-100 draft pick and projects as a reliable, scheme-versatile prospect.

quote:

Coleman
BACKGROUND: A three-star running back recruit out of high school, Coleman chose Indiana over offers from Michigan State, Illinois and Iowa. He thrived in a Wing-T offense in high school so he faced a transition to a between-the-tackles running back role in Bloomington. Coleman served as a reserve back as a true freshman and led the team with 566 return yards on 24 kickoffs (23.6), including a 96-yard touchdown return. He became the starting running back as a sophomore in 2013 and started the first nine games before an ankle injury ended his season, finishing just shy of 1,000 rushing yards and earning Big Ten Honorable Mention honors. Coleman had his best season in 2014 as a junior, becoming the 18th FBS player to reach the 2,000-yard rushing mark in a single season, setting a new school record with 2,036 rushing yards. He led the country in 20- (10) and 50-yard (6) touchdown runs this past season and finished his career with 15 100-yard rushing performances. Coleman earned First Team All-Big Ten honors and was one of three finalists for the Doak Walker Award in recognition for his historic junior season (received two first place votes for the Heisman Trophy, finishing seventh). He decided to skip his final year of eligibility and enter the 2015 NFL Draft.

STRENGTHS: Narrow frame, but good thickness and muscle tone on his body…runs with a physical temperament and good body strength, lowering his pads to attack defenders at the line of scrimmage…works off contact with his aggressive run style, balance and toughness to finish carries, almost always falling forward…hits his top speed quickly with long-striding acceleration and natural burst…races away from defenders with his striding long-speed to hit the home run, posting an impressive touchdown distance average of 40.3 yards, leading the country with eight 60-yard runs in 2014…sees the field well with vision to read blocks and find holes, making himself skinny and keeping his pads square to the line of scrimmage…soft hands as a receiver and reliable catching the ball in space or tight spaces…nice job bodying up defenders in pass protection and not shy about extending his arms and being aggressive with his hands, showing a lot of promise in this area…has experience as a return man on kickoffs and could fill that role in the NFL if needed…durable and toughs his way through injuries – suffered a painful toe injury (Oct. 2014) that required postseason surgery, but didn’t miss any playing time and his production didn’t suffer…displays stamina and didn’t wear down late, averaging 8.4 yards per carry in the second half of games in 2014…strong character on the field and away from the game, earning high praise from his coaches for his work ethic and accountability…impressive production, averaging 142.6 rushing yards per start and 7.5 yards per carry the last two seasons as the full-time starter.

WEAKNESSES: High pad level can be an issue at times due to his taller stature, making a big target for tacklers…tapered and slender frame and near maxed out physically, lacking ideal body type for the position…average power and doesn’t run with much shock to deliver hits – can be slowed down with arm tackles…lacks the creative elusiveness to dance his way out of trouble in the open field, showing more of a one-cut style to dart through creases…has some tightness in his running style, struggling to fluidly change directions on a dime…will chop his feet at times when the hole isn’t there and shows some indecisiveness at the line of scrimmage…good field speed at the second level, but will never be the fastest player in a NFL stadium…ball security has room for improvement, especially at the contact point, with seven career fumbles to his name, including four in 2014 (72.3 fumble rate)…had tendon surgery (Dec. 2014) on his toe so his medical reports will be important.

SUMMARY: Coleman flashed big-time potential as a sophomore in 2013, but, playing at Indiana, he entered the 2014 season under-the-radar. He proved to be one of the nation’s best runners as a junior and became the fourth fastest in FBS history to reach the 2,000-yard mark in a single season, needing only 264 rush attempts to hit the plateau. Coleman dominated against some suspect Big Ten run defenses, but he was also productive for a one-trick offense where he was clearly the main weapon and couldn’t be stopped. He is a big play waiting to happen if he can break initial contact, tearing through the open field where he can get his momentum going (15 100-yard rush games in 21 starts the past two seasons, including 10 in a row at one point). Coleman has some deceiving power and attacks the line with a head of steam, but doesn’t consistently run behind his pads and his taller stature can’t be masked all the time. He looks like DeMarco Murray on some carries and Darren McFadden on others with his NFL projection landing somewhere in between those two backs. Coleman is arguably the best three down back in this draft class (not named Todd Gurley) because of his ability in pass protection and catching the ball – in the top-60 discussion as an ideal fit for a zone stretch run scheme.

Distribution of Runs

Distribution Comparisons

Season-long simulation comparison

Coachspeak this offseason
“The Falcons' higher-ups have been talking up Coleman since the season ended, with coach Dan Quinn calling Coleman-Devonta Freeman a "unique combination" and GM Thomas Dimitroff labeling the duo a "tandem" in the backfield. Per McClure, Freeman "can't afford to let his guard down" with the team still believing in Coleman's big-play ability.”

“In terms of him like running in the outside zone, seeing his reads and making his cuts, [Coleman] was really on point,” Quinn said. “That’s why we are so excited because he and Free together make a pretty unique combination.”

Bottom Line
My personal take on this info is that Freeman is no slouch, is great in the passing game, and is evaluated as the better pass-blocker. But Coleman is probably the better runner (though small sample size etc etc). I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets in the ballpark of 150-200 carries this year (assuming he stays healthy). That’s enough to drop Freeman’s value out of the first round or two for me.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 27, 2016

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Spoeank posted:

This was very helpful, FP. You should get into fantasy sports writing. This kind of RB stuff might become the Reception Perception of RBs.

Also 200 carries is a ton for Coleman... I don't know if he can hold up to that. 150 is definitely on the table.

Well the title of the article is "On Tyler Eifert's Injury and Why Tight Ends Don't Matter" :ssh:

Yeah 200 carries is maybe where I think the soft cap is. Maybe only a 5-15% chance of surpassing that in a season where both backs stay healthy.

Atlanta ran the ball a bit over 26 times per game during the regular season last year.
Coleman hits 200 carries if he shoulders only about 48% of that rushing load.
He hits 175 carries with 42% of that load.
He hits 150 with 36% of that load.

35-50% of the ground game seems like a reasonable range for Coleman to me.

For reference, the Hill/Gio split was 48%/32% (the rest was mostly the QBs - portion of running back load is close to 55%/39%), with Gio also taking a lot of the passing-down work.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 27, 2016

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

All those guys aren't "unproven" in the same sense Johnson is, though, just risky in other ways. We know with basically all of them that their apparent productiveness isn't just a case of small sample size.

Personally, I just hope people keep sleeping a bit on Miller. Foster got 20+ touches each game last year when he was healthy, even with Hopkins in mid-breakout, and I expect Miller to fill right in. Does anyone have legit knocks against him besides the nebulous "why didn't Miami give him a full workload" and the more reasonable worry about a new team? With the new team, is there anything specific about schemes in Miami vs Houston to make us worry? I just think he's got about as high a ceiling as anyone and a great floor, given his talent running and receiving, the fact that Houston wants to run, and the lack of competition behind him, and I'm super happy that so far others don't seem to value him quite that highly.

I like Miller too (see rankings), but it IS troubling that last year was the worst rushing year of his career. Like, not just in a volume sense, but on a per carry basis too. (See Ground Control post on this).

I think people really underestimate how much he's grown as a pass catcher though. Folks see him as a two down back, but he was really solid in the passing game, including his blocking.

Also, Houston runs the ball an almost absurd amount. Alfred Blue has had monster fantasy weeks for them, and Alfred Blue is terrible.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm experimenting with a way to prognosticate the selection of players based on ADP. I'm not sure how useful the method here is going to be, but it provides a pretty graph in the lower right and gives me a chance to talk about it. The basic idea is that I take Fantasy Football Calculator's ADP data and use the mean and standard deviation of each player to establish a probability curve. I then use those curves to determine the probability that a player of each position (QB, RB, WR, TE) will be taken. I do this by determining the probability that each player of a given position won't be taken, multiplying all of them together to get the probability that none of them will be taken, and then subtract that from one to get the probability that at least one will be taken.

It's not a perfect system (ideally it would always add up to 100% for each draft spot, in reality it's closer to 90%) but it does provide some interesting results and trends.

This is really cool by the way.

The multiplication rule is doing some work this offseason.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Are people generally optimistic or pessimistic for Carlos Hyde this year? Chip Kelly likes to run and Hyde has zero competition. RB1 potential at least, and should have a decent floor if he's healthy, just on volume? FP, did you ever look at him in ground control? I don't remember.

Yeah, here's what I said about Hyde during the "Player Comparables" chapter:

quote:

Carlos Hyde – Jonathan Stewart, Lamar Miller. More tackles for loss than either, but fights through contested yards like a champ. Success during his rookie contract probably depends a lot on the moves the Niners make this offseason. The whole offense needs to get better or he’s just going to keep running into brick walls.

Finished 12th in proportion of runs for 4+ yards (just ahead of the McCoy/Forte/Abdullah tier), 3rd in proportion of runs for 7+ yards (just ahead of Thomas Rawls), and 11th for proportion of runs for 10+ yards (about level with David Johnson and Ryan Mathews).

FWIW he also had the fourth-most-improbable (sort of) single game rushing performance of last year.

I'm not going to reach for Hyde ("Chip Kelly's Wild Ride 2: The Blaine Train" doesn't sound like a sequel I want to see), but I'm certainly going to take him where I can.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 30, 2016

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Anywho, I'm about to write an article that's basically FF for newbies (the site I write for is primarily a lifestyle site). I'm thinking:

- K/DST late
- stream QBs or get 2 of the QB 10 - 15 range (QBs would be how I would explain VBD)
- handcuffs
- importance of RBs
- what is PPR?

Anything else I might be overlooking? I'm pretty much the fantasy football guy so I have no one to bounce anything off of there that's of any value.

- don't start Thursday dudes in your flex
- know injury designations
- draft your starters before your bench.
- after drafting your starters, err on upside
- use aggregates (projections or rankings)

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Yeah, last year among all players, Landry, Lockett, and Abdullah were 2, 4, and 5 in all-purpose yards, respectively.

The fact that Landry got more of those yards from scrimmage makes him more valuable, not less.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Why is Cobb going so late? Didn't he play nearly all of last year with a shoulder injury?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Spoeank posted:

I'm putting together a piece called "ADPs That Make No Sense" and Dion Lewis is the reason why. Total steal.

Other folks to look at in ppr that seem low: Danny Woodhead (5th/6th), Breshad Perriman (11th/12th), Matt Ryan (11th-13th), Kendall Wright (13th).

In the early and mid rounds I'll be scooping up Lewis/Cobb/Ingram/Rawls/Mathews/Tevin Coleman wherever I can.

Really like the mid-round RBs this year. If it stays this way, a ppr draft from the 4-6 of something like Nuke/Alshon/Rawls/Lewis/Woodhead/Brady/Abdullah/Moncrief seems within the realm of possibility.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Amergin posted:

Not to mention from week 13 on, James White seemed to be a pretty serviceable pass-catching back for them.

White was targeted 16 times in the AFC championship and only caught five of them.

Lewis is not only a far better runner, but is probably the better passing threat too.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

You can't draft a Brady that will miss a quarter of the season in the sixth round, come on now. Also, without looking at ADP so I could be totally wrong, I'd be super surprised if you could get Moncrief that late.

Yeah you're right, poking around, it looks like Brady's chances of getting the suspension deferred is lower than I thought.

FFC has Moncrief at 7.09 with a SD of 10 spots in 12-team ppr. Mid-8th would be pretty lucky (like less than a quarter of the time) but is possible.

quote:

Nuk is a 1st-2nd rounder, Alshon and Rawls are 2nd-3rd. I seriously doubt any of those 3 are available in the 4th, unless the other owners area bunch of potatoes.

Sorry, I was proposing drafting from the 4-6 spot in a 12-team snake draft. Nuk would be the 1st, Alshon 2nd, Rawls 3rd.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Cervixalot posted:

The Moncrief hype is off the charts this year, and his ADP is likely only going to rise between now and the beginning of the season, barring a setback on his turf toe.

He's currently the 46th player off of the board in MFL redraft leagues; and 45 in MFL10s.

Woah.

You're not wrong.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Dandy Kaiser posted:

In RotoViz's most recent email, they said they were all in on Dion Lewis :getin:

RotoViz needs to shhhhhh.

My guy needs to stay in the mid 4th until early August.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Kerwynn Williams and Mike Gillislee keep popping up in various analyses I'm doing for ground control as possible "good runners". Both look to be pretty buried in depth charts, but are going to be free agents soon. What can folks tell me about them? Anybody watch them in college?

Also, I'm starting to not trust Matt Jones. Which is weird, because I liked his tape last year. Might be possible that his tape is better than his production. He goes down kicking and screaming, but still goes down nonetheless.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 10, 2016

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Benne posted:

Kerwynn Williams got a chance when the Cardinals had a billion RB injuries a couple years ago and did nothing of note. There's a reason Arizona drafted David Johnson and signed a 50-year-old Chris Johnson to play ahead of him.

As far as I can see, he only has three games with more than ten carries, all in 2014: 19 for 100 (long of 16), 15 for 75 (long 19), and 17 for 67 (long 11). That's certainly not terrible! I like DJ better, of course, but a lot of my metrics seen to like the guy, so I figured I'd ask what folks know about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Agholor being investigated for rape.

• Locked thread