Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Definitely down for a goon MFL draft only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Let's make this one free, but I have no doubt others would be down for some MFL10s.

More slow drafts are better than fewer slow drafts.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Forever_Peace posted:

I still miss Grantland. :negative:

Doesn't Barnwall have a new one? Is it any good?

I've listened to like half of Barnwell's podcasts so far. He's doing more than just football. Of the 5 or so episodes so far, I think it's been 2 football, 2 basketball, 1 soccer, but I think the idea is that during the season, it'll be much more football oriented. Basically, as long as you like Barnwell, I'd bet you'll like the podcast.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Benne posted:

Not even close

Yeah, I think if you want him in redraft you're probably going to have to take him in the first, but that doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

1.01 in dynasty, though...that's probably right.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

ESPN's mock drafts are supposed to have just gone live for the season, but I haven't actually found them yet. They've been streaming their fantasy rankings summit all day today and it was pretty decent background noise, with a couple of interesting discussions on rankings, injuries and projections. Mike Clay did some interesting stuff on red zone production and projections that I'm hoping gets written up into an article at some point. They're continuing the live stream tomorrow.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

VietCampo posted:

All my RL friends that i play Fantasy with are all casuals and only do the regular leagues and a couple leagues are keepers.

I'd love to join a brand new Dynasty league if anyone was planning on starting one up.

I'm in a similar situation. I'd love to get in on some goon dynasty action.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I played in a tiered PPR league in 2014 where it was 1 for WR/RB/QB/K and 1.5 for TE.

The guy who ended up winning took Jimmy Graham 3rd overall. One pick later, I took Adrian Peterson. Still managed to place 4/12, starting Julius Thomas, Martellus Bennett and Dwayne Allen as my TE and flexes.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I listen to two regularly-
Football Guys- Cecil Lammey is too morning-zoo/drive-time for my tastes, but I like the rest of them quite a bit. Jene Brammel is my preferred injury guy.
ESPN Fantasy Focus- Matthew Berry is what he is, you either enjoy his schtick or you don't. As for the actual content- I like it during the season just to keep up with the actual news side of things.

Listened to Harris Football for most of last season, but at some point my hatred of Christopher Harris outweighed any value I was taking away from his contrarian perspective.

Mikey Purp posted:

There hasn't been much content yet, but I'm liking The Ringer NFL podcast. It's hosted by Robert Mays from the old Grantland podcast, with a seemingly rotating cast of co-hosts.

I miss the Grantland NFL pod. Barnwell's show is pretty good so far, though not a huge amount of NFL talk yet.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Spoeank posted:

Don't draft tight ends.

Don't reach for Reed.

Don't reach for anyone tbh. Don't reach.

Don't draft.

Only use waivers.

Only after week 6.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Spoeank posted:

And when I say don't reach I mean don't overdraft a player based on what you think he is. If you think Reed is worth a first overall pick go for it, don't think he's worth a third rounder and take him in the second because ~reasons~.

I think this is really good advice. It's an important distinction between reaching versus having a strong position that someone should go earlier than other people might think.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

MrSargent posted:

I am going to have a real hard time outdoing my idea last year for selecting draft order in my 12-team re-draft league. I had everyone select a character from N64 Smash Brothers, made a bracket, and then assigned everyone a level 9 computer of their character, turned all items on high, and then let the computers go at it. A little more than half the league was able to attend and we were screaming at the AI characters for a good 45 minutes, rooting and disparaging them much like we would our fantasy players.

I am trying to find something that would be equally fair (the fights are so random, it barely matters what character you pick), interactive, with the possibility to participate remotely. If I can't think of anything, I might just go with the same idea since it went so well last year. Anyone have any cool draft order challenges?

Depending on when you're doing your draft, I like weird prop bets on other sporting events. In one of my leagues we do a March Madness bracket every spring to determine draft order. As a lot of us are already getting together to watch those games it adds an extra wrinkle.

In another league we're talking about doing Summer Olympic prop bets or medal count predictions. Any excuse to get together and drink and watch sports in which we have little genuine interest.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

FYI anyone up for spending money on Fantasy, Rotopass is cool and good. They have a code (EARLY) for 10% off.

This is a true post.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

5ish years ago, my league had a rule that if you were drafting Mike Vick, you had to cuddle with the commissioner's dog while doing so.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Man, that's brutal for Perriman, but im feeling much happier about getting Kamar Aiken in the Goon Slow Draft.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

Dion Lewis to get benched in week 2 for "smiling kind of funny" at BB, James White to go for 1500 total yards, 8 touchdowns, and 65 catches from week 3 on :troll:

This assumes that Bill knows what a smile is.

"What's he doing with his mouth and his teeth? I don't like it."

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I can't wait to watch OBJ melt down against Josh Norman twice a year.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

If anything, I think AB getting closer to 180-190 is more plausible than not this year, due to the Bryant suspension, Heath Miller retiring and the prospect that Roethlisberger stays healthy or healthier than last year.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Tiptoes posted:

What if Sammie Coates/Markus Wheaton/Ladarius Green aren't a bunch of assholes like everyone assumes? Coates has been talked up a lot by Steelers coaches this offseason and it wouldn't be hard for Green to be an upgrade on Heath Miller. I'm not sure this is a terrible supporting cast.
What if Le'Veon Bell stays healthy and sees another 104 targets like he did in 2014? DWill ain't a slouch in the passing game either so RB targets could be in the 120+ range combined. They only had 73 targets last year so that's one change we can expect if Bell stays upright.
What if Big Ben doesn't stay healthy? Dude is in his 30s but still plays a very physical style of football. He's definitely one of the higher injury risks at QB.
What if Brown doesn't stay healthy? He's not injury prone, I know, but all it takes is one bad hit. What if the constant double teams leads to a defender falling on his ankle? Or he takes a bad hit to the dome and we have to start worrying about concussions? Or maybe Marvin Lewis takes Vontaze Burfict aside and tells him to sweep the leg?

There are plenty of reasons to think Brown's target share of 33% last year is going to go down and I think viewing his situation critically rather than just penciling him as the number one player in June is a worthy intellectual exercise.

Sure man, "what if." What if Antonio Brown gets hit by a car and has to get Oscar Pistorius blade legs? What if The Steelers have secretly been drugging visiting teams' Gatorade and the whole franchise gets locked out for a season as punishment? What if Bane and the resurgent League of Assassins blow up Heinz Field?

A lot of things could happen. I think it's more likely based on a whole host of factors that Antonio Brown will have closer to 185 targets than he will to 166 targets. Of course you can come up with scenarios in which he doesn't. Doesn't actually change the likelihood of it happening.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

89 posted:

You guys think there's a big drop off from Julio/Beckham to Hopkins? Hopkins was F'n amazing last year and has been on the rise ever since he got in the league. He also seems to be QB proof. I've got to pick my spot in the draft in a couple of hours. I was gonna go #3 (10 man 0.5 PPR) to try to land Antonio but I don't think that's gonna happen with who's in front of me.

I'm thinking if I pick #6, I could for sure get Hopkins and end up with a better draft picking in the middle of the rounds. What do you guys think? It kinda centers around Hopkins.

I like Hopkins from a ceiling perspective as much as JJ or OBJ, but I think his floor in meaningfully lower due to the Osweiler question mark and the idea that BOB and the Texans don't want to throw the ball if they can help it. The Houston D came on toward the second half of last season and while Hopkins was still good, he had a noticeable drop in production as the game scripts changed.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

89 posted:

I'm looking more at my selections in the 2nd-4th round being #3 vs. #5 or #6

I think that's super dependent on the rest of the league in a lot of ways. Are you playing with guys who you think are likely to make optimal picks ahead of you? Or is this like a work/family league?

Do you have specific guys you want to target in those rounds?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm good with that. Other possibilities: Devontae Booker, AlfMo or DMC if he gets healthy, Paul Perkins, Charles Sims (!; is he a sleeper?), Alex Collins, not in that order

No love for Daniel Lasco?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Spoeank posted:

Rueben Randle is a forgotten man because wait who is Rueben Randle :confused:

actually it's because I got super lazy with the Eagles part because Pederson is a Reid disciple and well look at how Andy Reid runs his teams. Like I said, nobody but Matthews will matter if he holds true to AR's form

I haven't spent significant time digging into any numbers, but I'm expecting Philly's offense to flirt with full-on dumpster fire this season. Am I missing something? Is the run game going to surprise?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Are you playing in the Scott Fish Bowl?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Spoeank posted:

He has the highest ADP. The 37 year old coming off a torn achilles has the highest ADP.

I'm achin' for some Aiken so I'm biased

Edit: It's the highest by over 50 picks by the way

Not to mention that he's actively telling reporters that maybe he just quits once gets the 39 catches he needs to get to 1000 career.

Aiken is the only (e: Baltimore) receiver I'd draft right now outside of deep stashes/dynasty, though I can imagine someone emerging as a usable TE during camp or early in the season.

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 22, 2016

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Well I imagine DeAngelo Williams starts getting drafted higher. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/17124034/pittsburgh-steelers-rb-leveon-bell-facing-four-game-ban-missed-drug-test

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/757636062156029953

hot drat, Josh Gordon's back

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Spoeank posted:

Russell Wilson didn't throw it appreciably more in the second half compared to the first (29.25 attempts per game to 31.125).

The difference was the red zone; he had 3 of 9 TDs in the red zone in the first half; 14 of 25(?!) in the second half.

Do with this what you will.

Thought about trying to reply on twitter, but figured here was better. What's the cause of the RZ change? Clearly way more opportunities- which I think is partly because they were pretty rear end in the first half of the year, but was it a function of Lynch being scaled back and more passes being called in the red zone maybe? Who were his targets on those 34 attempts?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

89 posted:

So.....how many leagues is everybody in this year? Last year, I was in 5 and that seemed like too much.

I'm at 6 and might join one more. I think this may be a mistake.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Forever_Peace posted:

Only in 1 redraft league this year (plus the two goon dynasty leagues), kind of tempted to add another redraft.

What would the goon interest be in a 12-team half-ppr superflex and return-yard deep-bench auction league with no kickers and no defenses and a FAAB budget?

I'll get in on this.

Spoeank posted:

Chris Harris is an obnoxious fart eater but he watches so much tape I need to listen to get that info.

Last year someone(you?) suggested listening to him at 1.5x speed, but somehow that made it even worse. I listen to an episode here or there when some big news has broken but even then it's tough to get through a full episode. I do check his ranks as a decent contrarian/anti-conventional wisdom option pretty regularly.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Nope, I don't think you're crazy. I think Palmer in the 10th is a better option. Even if Palmer doesn't repeat, I don't like the 7th for Roethlisberger given the Bryant suspension, Bell's suspension and his injury history. Seems to me like the Steelers are an AB84 injury away from being a pretty pedestrian offense. Arizona seems way more robust to me and assuming this isn't some crazy deep league, you should be able to find a pretty adequate backup to Palmer on the wire.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Different sites for different stuff.

Rotoviz has a lot of the smartest data-focused guys these days.
FBGs is a pretty great general site, with a nice variety of writers and content.
DraftKings is totally not gambling.
ESPN is, well ESPN.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

pmchem posted:

The League of Posts has two openings! I'd link it but I'm phone posting. it's here in armchair Q.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782046

join us

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Metapod posted:

Exotic smashmouth :smugdog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjWkO15-gcE

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Benne posted:

Kamar Aiken went 75/944/5 last year, perfectly acceptable WR2 numbers. His only competition for targets are:

-- A 70-year-old Steve Smith coming off a torn Achilles
-- Mike Wallace, who is now 30 and quickly running out of excuses for why he's done fuckall since leaving Big Ben.
-- Breshad Perriman, who has more knee surgeries than NFL games played.
-- Whatever unholy monster committee they try at TE.

So yeah, I like Aiken's chances of producing.

Some additional Aiken context- he put those numbers up with a 19% share of a league high number of pass attempts, including passes thrown by Ryan Mallett, Jimmy Clausen and Matt Schaub.

If we assume that Flacco stays healthy and Aiken maintains (or increases) his absolute number of targets (probably increased share of a smaller total of pass attempts is my guess), then it seems reasonable that we haven't seen his ceiling yet.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Sago posted:

Does Crowder have any real upside? He's tiny and not very fast. Maybe he's in the Jarvis Landry, Wes Welker, Julian Edelman mold, but not every catchy slow guy in the league is going to get 160+ targets like those guys have in the past. They need so much volume to be worthwhile.

Have you seen the run game in DC?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Boon posted:

So I have the option of taking the following in our 1PPR keeper auction draft:
- Antonio Brown: $48
- DeAndre Hopkins: $26
- Brandon Marshall: $10
- Devonte Freeman: $2

It's such an embarrasment of riches, but I'm leaning DeAndre. Thoughts?

$200 budget? How many can you keep?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

julio done for the pre-season?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Does anyone play any of the public money leagues? I won 1/2 Yahoo Pro leagues last year but the format sucks (10-team standard). FFPC looks interesting, but $1750 is wayyyyyy out of my budget. Their $350 looks pretty cool too but more realistically I would maybe do their $77 league. Then there's Apex and Masters... I don't know where to go. I just want something in the $50-100 range that has 12 teams. Any thoughts on those three sites? Seems like they'd be full of sharks.

Alternatively, any goon leagues still have an opening?

I did the FFPC $350 a couple of years back- I think it's the same format as the $1750. I liked it. Probably not the best option for first bigger money public league, but I finished just outside of the prizes, in 4th. Generally solid competition, maybe only one truly terrible guy. Probably a good bit tougher than Yahoo, but I don't know.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Chen Kenichi posted:

The problem I have with Jennings is Perkins is there waiting to take over if Jennings stumbles, leaving you with a team backup that won't get much. A pretty big gamble for a pick that should amount to a decent contributor to your team. Sims has a defined role that will get decent points for all 16 games.

I'm only half paying attention, but I think Perkins has fumbled twice tonight vs. the Pats. I know old man Coughlin is gone, but I gotta think that's going to concern the coaching staff.

Regardless, I think Sims>Jennings is how I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Welcome to the Chase Danielenium.

• Locked thread