Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Metapod posted:

Does tate deserve an honourable mention now?

Honorable mention for what? Definitely not a 1st rounder, almost certainly not a 2nd either. I haven't written them all out to be sure, but pretty confident there are 23 WRs/RBs + Gronk that I'd want ahead of Tate. I'd be super happy with him as my WR2, but pretty unhappy if he's my WR1, and I doubt I'd draft WR/WR if he's the best available WR in the 2nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
2QB, dynasty, full PPR, 4 PT passing TD, which side do you like for two teams looking to compete:

Julio Jones, Teddy Bridgewater, pick 1.10
vs
Cam Newton, Allen Hurns

Team getting Cam needs QB help (only has Teddy, Eli, and Foles), but doesn't really have the depth to lose Julio (probably starting two or three of Marvin Jones, Kevin White, and Rishard Matthews weekly). Team getting Julio would be starting Teddy or Alex Smith as QB2 behind Big Ben after losing Cam, but would be rolling out easily the strongest WR corps (Julio, AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Devante Parker).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would not make that trade if I was the team with Cam Newton. Having Newton and Big Ben is a ridiculously solid core, and in 2015 dropping from Newton to Smith/Teddy would have resulted in a loss of around 7 (for Smith) to 11 (for Bridgewater) points per game. Last year Allen Hurns was the WR14, and the difference between Julio and Allen last year was only 4 PPG. Now is it possible that Newton regresses and Bridgewater improves? Sure. But Cam Newton's worst season since 2011 averaged him 17.8 PPG. In a 2QB league Newton's value is incredible and it would take a king's ransom to let him go.

You don't think Hurns likely regresses significantly? 10 TDs seems very unlikely again, no? And are you sure that's his full PPR ranking? Looks like he was WR19 in total points and WR23 in ppg in this league, for what it's worth. Hurns averaged 15 ppg, and Julio 23 ppg.

But yeah, certainly should take a ton to get Newton. I see it as Cam slightly more valuable than Julio, but that small difference + Bridgewater + 1.10 is plenty for a Hurns that'll likely regress and a Bridgewater that will likely improve at least a little over the next few years.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Aguamoose posted:

Does anyone have some suggestions for QB stashes in a dynasty league turning superflex in 2017. All obvious qbs are rostered, and I'm sure all of the halfway promising rookie qbs will be off the draft board early.

I'm thinking those qbs who were drafted to sit behind an aging starter, learning their trade, like Rodgers did. The 2 names I know of along those lines are Brett Hundley (GB), who is rostered, and Garret Grayson (NO), who I intend to pick up after the rookie draft.

Anyone know of anyone else worth picking up, or just keeping an eye on?

How many teams? Those are decent stashes, though if it's like 10 team or fewer I wouldn't bother. Even 12 team, I probably wouldn't drop a decent WR flier for Hundley. Guys like RG3, Hoyer, Sanchez, and Fitzpatrick are better bets to actually be usable anytime soon. You can go overboard hoarding QBs, even in superflex. If you have three startable guys and one young Grayson-esque stash, that's probably enough. If you don't have three startable guys, one of those mediocre QBs who is much more likely to actually play is definitely a better pick up.

Edit: I realize I sort of danced around my main point. Holding unproven backups to good QBs that are not in any danger of retiring soon is a bit too much in all but the deepest league. Grayson or Garoppolo are ok stashes, given the ages of the guys they're behind. Rodgers is 32 and in no danger of losing his job.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 4, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Goon dynasty league ftw, ya'll should make one.

I'm actually doing a start up draft right now and just wanted to gush a bit about my team so far. 12 team, 1 PPR, can start up to 5 WR (1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 WRT). I gave up my 2017 1st, pick 58, and pick 87 over the course of a few trades, and was able to get Allen Robinson, Mike Evans, Randall Cobb, Jordan Matthews, and Corey Coleman with five of the first 39 picks. I'm beyond pumped about this team.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

That TEN backfield just feels like a mess. I don't know what CJA has done to warrant any degree of confidence.

In 9 games after week 6, he averaged 5.1 ypc, 70 total yards, and half a TD a game. So uh, not a total trainwreck for the latter half of the season, at least. If no PPR, I'd probably take him over Lewis, just barely. No idea how I feel about JStew and Mathews yet. Plenty of time yet for either of them to break before the season starts. If seasons started today, I'd like Mathews more than CJA, but probably take CJA over JStew.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Forever_Peace posted:

I mean... but what is special about the week 6 cutoff here? The thing about looking for promising subsets of games within the larger season as that smaller sample sizes are significantly noisier. CJA only took 85 carries after week 6.

85 carries from Donald Brown breaks 5.1YPC more than 10% of the time.

Compound this with the "implicit multiple comparisons" of looking through various subsets to find the one you like, and this doesn't really feel like a meaningful statistic...

Sorry, in case it wasn't clear, I wasn't trying to make a super convincing case, and absolutely cherrypicked where to start. Something like "throw out the first few games when CJA was coming back into shape after injury (am I misremembering or did he get injured end of last year?) or shaking the rust off and he wasn't that bad." Of course, it doesn't hold up as a real analysis. He finished more strongly than he started seems fair, though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Forgetting redraft and it's weird RB premium, the Zeke hype in dynasty has reached pretty crazy levels. People strongly preferring him to Gurley straight up, thinking Evans and multiple 2017 1sts for him in full PPR is fair, etc. There is going to be so much gnashing of teeth when he doesn't have the best rookie season by an RB in 20 years.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RCarr posted:

Where should I look for strategies on how to do a first year Dynasty draft? My normal re-draft league is going to also do everyone's first dynasty league this year, and I'd like to try to take advantage of our lack of knowledge.

That should be super easy to do, haha. Easy first place is to just look at fantasy pros keeper rankings. Not sure where the best free rankings are anymore, but dynastyleaguefootball.com, fftoday.com, and fantasy pros have some. The dynastyff subreddit might have other useful links and info, but just keep in mind the consensus there skews harder towards youth and upside than some places.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
At some point, you sort of have to take value when the draft gives it to you. But you can have a general idea for whether you want to dominate the next year or two or build longer term. If you take Brown and DT with your first two picks, Jordy in the 4th or 5th might be perfect. If you take Cooper and Parker, though, probably better to gamble on someone like DGB or a rookie at that spot. If you take guys for win now, you need to pay attention to your competitiveness at RB and TE a bit more. You basically dont want to punt at any position. If you're going younger, you can almost ignore RB; better to take a handful of low cost, speculative guys, and in a year or two you can see which hit and trade for better RBs then. In general, just try to get a roster together that is full of guys likely to peak together, though of course you don't have to go fully one way or the other.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cervixalot posted:

Also, I just did a startup last week for a brand new dynasty league with some new owners, if you want to use our draft for a general reference for where players are going. My team is 'Nuk the Whales.'

http://www66.myfantasyleague.com/2016/options?L=69189&O=113&DISPLAY=LEAGU

Happy to do a postmortem on my approach and the decisions I made (good and bad - there are both), if it interests you (or anyone else). It's Friday, and dynasty fantasy football is the poo poo.

Edit: Here's my final roster - http://www66.myfantasyleague.com/2016/options?L=69189&O=07&F=0005

Doesn't look like too many crazy picks, and fairly representative of what I've been seeing lately, FYI RCarr.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RCarr posted:

Please do a write-up if you don't mind. I'd love to hear your reasoning, and like you said: it's Friday, and dynasty fantasy football is the poo poo.

Question: What does "taxi squad" mean?

Taxi squad is for players, usually rookies, to get out onto when you draft them. Players on taxi squad cannot start for you, unless you move them from taxi to active roster. Typically that's an irreversible decision. However, they don't take up a spot on your active roster while on the taxi squad, so you get to stash them away and wait for them to develop. Depending on the league, the taxi squad might have an experience or production limit (ie, must be rookie or sophomore, must have fewer than 50 catches in career, that kind of thing).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Aguamoose posted:

I'm in the midst of my first ever dynasty draft, and ended up with the 4th pick in a 12 team 0.5 ppr. 1qb, 2rb, 3wr, 1 TE, 2 flex

So far I've drafted:
1. Beckham Jr.
2. Keenan Allen
3. Demaryius Thomas
4. Aaron Rodgers
5. John Brown (bit of a reach but have lots of faith in him)
6. Dion Lewis
7. Josh Doctson
8. Eric Ebron
9. Nelson Agholor
10. Charles Sims (assuming the 1 guy left to pick before me this round doesn't take him)

I'm pretty happy with what I have so far in terms of building a team for the future. I aimed to go young WR heavy and early along the lines of some of the advice earlier on the page, but took Thomas and Rodgers purely due to value where they had fallen to. I picked up Ebron after a bit of a run on TEs.

To help me make my picks I put a spreadsheet together which has the ADP data from dynastyfftools.com and also the expert ranking from fantasy pros. It also has Matt Harmon's WR tiers on there as I have a lot of faith in his reception perception analysis, so I can use all 3 sources of info to see whether anyone remaining is good value. I can definitely recommend doing something similar to anyone else doing a startup draft, it has been really helpful.

Looks good. How did the first round go? I'm pretty surprised OBJ lasted til 4. I'm guessing Brown, Julio, annnd an RB, probably Gurley (?) went top 3.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Nice write up. Yeah, Perriman was the one I was iffy on for you. I hate going after guys with stone hands, regardless of their measurables.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Aguamoose posted:

With the severity of his injury and spotty usage before it, how far does Jimmy Graham have to fall in a dynasty draft before he is worth a punt? Or should he not be touched with a bargepole?

The other two are being a bit extreme, but just barely. A good rookie TE is fine to draft late, like after the first 120+ picks. Graham isn't worth much though, I probably would let him drop to TE20+. You're basically banking on him coming back healthy, Seattle continuing to throw a lot, and Graham being a beneficiary of that. Dandy also maybe missed that it was dynasty, meaning you should definitely draft a TE at some point, though I'd likely leave it til last starting position and after 2-3 viable bench WRs and RBs. But if a decent TE drops, you absolutely should draft them before the latest garbage WR or RB flier of the week ("no really, Zach Zenner and Jeff Janis are going to be awesome, why would you want Ertz or Fleener over them?!"). Don't avoid drafting a TE if the value is there just because Dandy says so, he's only right about redraft. If someone drops a round or two past ADP, especially in the first 100 picks, and they fit the general youthiness and needs of your roster, grab them.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 16, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Anyone interested in grading my Leagues rookie draft?

Sure, post it and I'll give my thoughts. I'm sure others will too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Cool, here it is. I'm Metropolis Meteors:

If it's hard to read or the formatting sucks in general let me know and I'll make it better.

What are starting requirements, and any PPR?

Unless standard scoring, I definitely like Doctson over Henry. Personally would go Shepard and Thomas over him too, but those aren't as clear cut. Prosise at 9 is fine. I probably would've taken Marshall and Howard before the WRs taken in the second, but I'm just not super excited about Fuller or Miller. I actually don't know anything about Ervin, ha. I know he's the only potentially credible RB behind Lamar Miller, but nothing else. I should probably fix that. Round 3 and 4, who knows, but I like the Drake pick for if Ajayi just isn't any good.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I think tiered PPR is a good idea. Make TEs more important/tiered, and penalize WRs a bit relative to the more volatile and shorter careers of RBs. Dynasty is basically "hoard all the good young WRs," which tiered PPR might counteract a bit.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Preliminary BeerSheet...

Glad to see the first beersheets! Sparks some discussion, hopefully.

Man, I just can't do some of these. Jordy Nelson at WR#5 seems way too early. I'd probably take him borderline WR1, probably right around DT and Hilton. Kelvin Benjamin before the whole mess of target hogs behind him seems tough, he'd drop at least a handful of spots for me, I think. David Johnson as RB#2 is too high, Freeman at #3 is scary too. I think those two slot behind Miller or Ingram for me. Doug Martin seems too low at RB#11, behind McCoy?! Mathews and Lewis too low also. Matt Ryan and Romo a bit too low, Eli and Cousins too high. I probably still take Olsen as my TE#2, though whatever, Reed and Walker are fine.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

You guys get that these aren't B4TBG's projections, right? That isn't how beersheets work

Yes, of course.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

Just checking. The way the responses are framed makes it seem as if beer is culpable.

Yeah, I know, it's tough to frame it accurately. Anything like "I would have so and so ranked higher" implies Beer ranked them lower, at least that's the default for me. Insert an implied "[than Beersheets have them]" rather than "[than Beer ranked them]" and I think it's good.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

2.2 PPG is the difference between the WR24 and the WR12. It's not slim.

Yeah, my first reaction was drat, can't believe that kind of positional advantage is possible at kicker.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Chen Kenichi posted:

Set-it-and-forget-it 7+pts at kicker with negligible risk has value.

But I think it is more the effect of the Patriots offense being good under almost any circumstances. Even when they lost Tom Brady of all people Matt Cassel ran the offense fairly well. More or less a consistent offense equals a consistently good kicker. No surprise there.

I think that's the conventional wisdom, but I'm not sure it's borne out. From comments on Beer's reddit post:

quote:

Well, I just did a quick correlation between the top 16 kicker fantasy ppg, for kickers that played at least 12 games in 2015, and their team's NFL ppg. For Boswell and Barth, who only played 12 games, I corrected their team's ppg to exclude the games they missed, but the rest of the top 16 kickers played in 15 or 16 games (and I didn't correct ppg for the kickers that only missed 1 game).

For 2015, the correlation coefficient between kicker ppg and team ppg is 0.63, for an R2 of ~0.4. Honestly that's higher than I expected.

But that's only for one year. In 2014, the same correlation coefficient was only 0.26, for an R2 of ~0.07. In 2013, the same correlation coefficient was only 0.31, for an R2 of ~0.1. Of course, maybe what we really care about is offense ranking, rather than raw ppg, but I just wanted to do a quick and dirty analysis. If you'd like to check yourself, I used fftoday's kicker scores (http://www.fftoday.com/stats/playerstats.php?Season=2015&GameWeek=&PosID=80&LeagueID=1) and ESPN's team stats (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total).

TLDR: Kicker fantasy points per game is not consistently strongly correlated with NFL team points per game. In 2015, it was; in 2014 and 2013, it was not.

quote:

Very interesting. Since you have the data already, can you find the correlation between kicker points and total offensive yards (since yards is a better indicator of offensive talent than points scored)?

And combine the three years into one population. Better sample size to do 3 years at once than 3 small samples

quote:

Sure. First, doing just 2015 numbers, and this time not correcting for the 4 games missed by Boswell and Barth (shouldn't make much difference anyway), the correlation coefficient between kicker fantasy ppg and NFL team yards per game drops to 0.49, for an R2 of ~0.24. If I use a multiple linear regression model, where I try to predict kicker points per game from both yards and NFL points per game, NFL points per game approaches significance (p = 0.087), but neither variable is strictly significant. The model as a whole does a decent job, though, which we would expect given the correlation between NFL points per game and kicker points.

When I combined 2013-2015, the pairwise correlations were kicker points and yards (r = 0.29, R2 = 0.08) and kicker points and NFL team points (r = 0.52, R2 = 0.27). When I use a multiple regression model, NFL points scored is positively and significantly related to kicker points, but yards are not. This suggests that the small pairwise correlation between yards and kicker points is probably due to the fact that yards are predictive of NFL points scored; once you take into account NFL points scored, yards doesn't give you much/any more. The full model R2 = 0.285, supporting this point.

Keep in mind this is all after the fact, post-diction, using known team stats. If we just went by preseason predictions of how prolific offenses would be, we'd almost certainly demolish this correlation, as teams inevitably over- and under-perform.

Sort of fits the other conventional wisdom that kickers are unpredictable as hell and we're better off without them.

Edit: I have never really looked, because lol kickers. But does anyone else remember seeing anyone actually testing the general wisdom of "pick a kicker on a good offense" vs. "pick a kicker with a funny name or haircut"?

sourdough fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 23, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tiptoes posted:

Personally, I am not touching a TE coming off ankle surgery. Bothersome ankle injuries can easily ruin a dude's season.

Besides, Jordan Reed is going to be the only non-Gronk TE worth owning anyway.

Reed is going to be outscored by at least three non-Gronk TEs. Walker, Olsen, Eifert, random guy we've never heard of, Ertz, Kelce, Green, Jimmy Graham's ghost, etc etc. TE is a shitshow, don't reach for Reed after he's had one healthy, contract year season.

Also did I miss something, or just more Rotoworld flavor?

quote:

Not coincidentally, Cousins' big second-half surge correlated with the emergence of Jordan Reed and the healthy return of DeSean Jackson. With those two back and first-round WR Josh Doctson added to the mix, Cousins has an even better group of weapons to target this year. With all that talent around him, Cousins would make for an upside QB2 pick, but his affinity for the band Creed renders him nearly undraftable. 
May 19 - 12:04 PM

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Suave Fedora posted:

My favorite observed reach last year in my buddy league was TY Hilton in the 2nd because poop.

He was also the favorite reach I saw in a family league I'm in... first receiver off the board, thank Colts homer! CJ Anderson was their next pick, haha.

Tiptoes posted:

Reach for Reed all day, every day. That Washington offense is going to produce, they're going to do it through the air, and Reed will be the number one option. Gronk is better than him because Gronk is a monster but watch Reed's tape and you'll see none of the other TEs have his chops as a receiver. I absolutely believe this is breakout talent in his prime and will provide a competitive advantage at TE this year even if drafted early.

Kirk Cousins is going to turn back into Kirk Cousins, Levine Toilolo and Michael Hoomanawanui are going to put up lines of 65-900-12, and you're going to look silly reaching for Reed.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MrSargent posted:

I really don't know what to think of Bennett in New England. I think he will be effective, but he will still be the 3rd option behind Gronk/Edelman, with the added benefit of being in 2-TE sets in the red zone. I just feel like Bennett is the guy that has a really low floor and only a marginal ceiling.

I really don't understand the Bennett hype. Yeah ok Scott Chandler caught a TD that one time, but I'm expecting like back end TE2 numbers from Bennett.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Chen Kenichi posted:

He is one of the best all around tight ends in the league. I would not expect him to get Hernandez numbers, but depending on what Belichick decides to do with him I could see a stat line of something like 50/700/6 for this year. Bennett's trouble is that he is also really good in a blocking tight end role, so a lot of times instead of running a route they keep him in as the extra blocker. Probably a TE20ish floor with a TE6ish ceiling?

You think his ceiling is realistically that high, without an injury to Gronk? I guess I just don't see the targets or rz looks being there, but I don't follow the Pats closely either. I also don't know what went down in Chicago, but the fact they let him go, that Bennett didn't get courted by any of the teams legitimately needing a TE, and that he's had one good season that required tons of volume (2014; 2013 was fine too, but certainly not evidence of him being a premier TE) all makes me a bit skeptical.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Also sorry for double post, but I'm a little stumped on a dynasty trade. Allen Robinson for Devante Parker and Carlos Hyde. Full PPR, start 2 RB, 2 WR, 3 flex. Receivers right now are Robinson, Evans, Cobb, Matthews, and Corey Coleman, running backs are Ingram, Abdullah, Sims, and Tevin Coleman. Is Parker going to be the high volume Demaryius Thomas-like guy for Gase? Can Parker and Hyde stay healthy? How much regression are we expecting for Robinson, or can his target numbers grow to offset it?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

While I pray that ARob has no regression, I think scooping up Carlos Hyde and Devante isn't a terrible trade. It will boost your RB set as I think Hyde has the stuff to produce weekly, but I'm not sold on Devante so hopefully someone can give you some optimism there.

Well, Parker's pace for the last 6 games, when he was presumably healthy, was 60-1200-8. Small sample size and seems like that might've been due to a few big plays (60 receptions would be super low for that yardage and TDs, no?), but he's got the draft pedigree. I just don't know whether I can trust Parker to start taking over more of the target share from Landry. I have no sense for how Gase's offense is supposed to pan out, except that people say it's good for Parker's value.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tiptoes posted:

I'm bullish on Bennett too. The Pats use two TE formations a lot more often than you'd think just by looking at the reception totals for guys like Chandler/Wright/Hoomanawui. He'll see a lot of red zone usage too as he'll be able to create excellent opportunities for one-on-one mismatches. Even Tim Wright had 6 TDs when he was with the Pats. Bennett should get 8+ so I really like him as bargain TE2 option.

I just don't get it. Wright had 250 yards to go along with those 6 touchdowns. Chandler had 250ish yards and 4 touchdowns. Chandler's numbers over the years look pretty similar to Bennett's, except for Bennett's breakout (/outlier) 2014, and was billed as a pass catching tight end that the Pats would use in two tight end sets to create mismatches.

Here's a blurb I found about Bennett:

quote:

Scott Chandler last season was just the latest in a long line of tight ends who were going to recreate what Aaron Hernandez accomplished on the field in 2011. Like all the rest, Chandler failed to live up to that promise, but Bennett could be different. With LaFell gone, the Patriots are lacking big pass catchers outside. Bennett could pick up some of that slack.

Oh whoops, that was actually about Chandler in 2015, after Tim Wright failed to do anything and LaFell started on PUP.

Anyway, I'm just having fun and am probably wrong, but it's made me lol to see excitement about a real life TE2 and someone that bullish predictions have as a mid range fantasy TE2.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MrSargent posted:

In looking at the first Beersheet, I wanted to take a deeper look at the top 10 RB's (included Doug Martin at 11) and re-rank them according to my own preference with a bit of reasoning. I will also try to highlight whether I would pick them at their current ADP given the rankings. I feel like RB is the position where I have the most uncertainty so please feel free to pick apart my rankings. I'll do 10-20 later when I have some more time.

Beersheet's Rankings - (My Ranking) - Player - Explanation

1. (1) Le'Veon Bell - I agree that Bell is the best fantasy back in the league, but I don' think I would draft him unless AB84, OBJ, and Julio were off the board. I might even consider Hopkins over him.
2. (7) David Johnson - Johnson looked great running last year when CJ2K went down, but I am extremely hesitant to blow a first round pick on a 6-game sample size with 1 huge outlier game against a poo poo run defense.
3. (8) Todd Gurley - Gurley is amazing but it worries me how much he was shut down towards the end of last year. I don't know that getting a rookie QB and still having 0 receiving options of note will help his case much.
4. (3) Devonta Freeman - He probably can't keep up that TD production but ignoring his rushing, he had 73 catches on 97 targets last year which was second only to Danny Woodhead. I think he will have a good year but will also be drafted too high.
5. (2) Adrian Peterson - I'll believe AP is going to fall off when I actually see it happen and probably not before then barring massive injury. I don't like rooting for him at all though.
6. (10) Ezekiel Elliott - It's hard to know what he will do next year but one thing is for sure, he will be drafted way above where he should be. With all of the unknowns, I wouldn't feel comfortable drafting him until the 4th.
7. (5) Jamaal Charles - Still one of the most dynamic backs in the league but injury risk is definitely a concern along with the emergence of West/Ware.
8. (4) Lamar Miller - I'm a huge Lamar Miller fan as he has helped me reach the championship the last 2 years in my league (winning one) despite criminal underuse by Miami. He has been begging for the chance to be a featured back and like the Texans, I am willing to give him that chance. I think getting him in the mid-late 2nd is incredible value. Hell, that's where I drafted him last year (probably a reach) and I think his situation is much better now.
9. (11) Mark Ingram - I had Ingram last year and he had a really solid floor each week, but never did anything flashy. A late 3rd round wouldn't be a bad option, but I might opt to see if he drops to the 4th.
10. (9) LeSean McCoy - Injury kept him out of 4 games last year, but extrapolating his performance to those 4 games, he would have hit 1200yds rushing and easily made the top 5 in standard. The Bills run the ball a lot and I don't see that changing.
11. (6) Doug Martin - Call me crazy but I think I am ready to trust in the Muscle Ham...oh whoops I mean Dougernaut. His game log from last year is really impressive, as is the fact that he finished 3rd in standard with a relatively low TD total compared to the other top RB's. I would probably take him in the 3rd and be happy about it.

I'm mostly on board with this, but think you're way too low on Ingram. He was on pace for something like 1600 total yards, 65-70 catches, and 8 TDs. TDs are a bit low for a bellcow, but overall those are some great numbers and he put them up for 3/4 of a season. Would've been top 3 RB for a full season in full PPR, wouldn't it?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Oops, nm

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Other RBs are just as unproven. Bell was severely injured (again), Gurley had a solid season but who knows about the sophomore slump and the situation in LA, Freeman has Coleman as competition, Peterson is old, Elliott is a rookie, Charles is coming off of injury, and Miller is on a new team. So his first round grade is a combination of high performance, great opportunity, and a lack of elite prospects.

All those guys aren't "unproven" in the same sense Johnson is, though, just risky in other ways. We know with basically all of them that their apparent productiveness isn't just a case of small sample size.

Personally, I just hope people keep sleeping a bit on Miller. Foster got 20+ touches each game last year when he was healthy, even with Hopkins in mid-breakout, and I expect Miller to fill right in. Does anyone have legit knocks against him besides the nebulous "why didn't Miami give him a full workload" and the more reasonable worry about a new team? With the new team, is there anything specific about schemes in Miami vs Houston to make us worry? I just think he's got about as high a ceiling as anyone and a great floor, given his talent running and receiving, the fact that Houston wants to run, and the lack of competition behind him, and I'm super happy that so far others don't seem to value him quite that highly.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Are people generally optimistic or pessimistic for Carlos Hyde this year? Chip Kelly likes to run and Hyde has zero competition. RB1 potential at least, and should have a decent floor if he's healthy, just on volume? FP, did you ever look at him in ground control? I don't remember.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tiptoes posted:

Not buying the ASJ hype. I think Cameron Brate is going to give him real competition at TE and Kenny Bell will take over the slot so ASJ will be sharing the middle of the field with a talented player no matter what. Doubt ASJ will be a fixture of that passing game although I'm sure he'll have some highlight weeks that'll be hard to predict.

They cut Brate last year, then resigned him when ASJ went down. He's not legitimate competition imo. ASJ was on pace for 45-700-8, which is pretty great for a sophomore TE that lost half his rookie year to injury. We also don't actually know what kind of competition Bell is, but a 5th round red shirt rookie is far from a guaranteed talented player, at least in terms of taking a lot of looks from other receivers.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Forever_Peace posted:

Yeah, here's what I said about Hyde during the "Player Comparables" chapter:

Finished 12th in proportion of runs for 4+ yards (just ahead of the McCoy/Forte/Abdullah tier), 3rd in proportion of runs for 7+ yards (just ahead of Thomas Rawls), and 11th for proportion of runs for 10+ yards (about level with David Johnson and Ryan Mathews).

FWIW he also had the fourth-most-improbable (sort of) single game rushing performance of last year.

I'm not going to reach for Hyde ("Chip Kelly's Wild Ride 2: The Blaine Train" doesn't sound like a sequel I want to see), but I'm certainly going to take him where I can.

Cool, good to know. I was mostly wondering if there were warning signs that he just wasn't a good runner, and his limited health last year and workload rookie year made me not at all sure how much talent he has shown or failed to show. I'm also not a 49ers fan and don't know that I watched any of their games last year, but at least I know I didn't miss anything of worth :D

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Coach speak. When ASJ came back to end the season, he ended up with 29 targets over the last 5 weeks, while Brate had 13. Pretty clear who was preferred when ASJ was available. But obviously coach isn't going to say ASJ gets the job back guaranteed when he's healthy, he's going to try to motivate everyone to work hard.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tiptoes posted:

ASJ had a single top ten week after coming back at the end of last season. Three of those five games, he was TE20 or worse. His targets would have to increase substantially to make him a predictable or valuable player and I just don't see that coming for him.

He was coming back from an 11 week injury layoff, I don't think it's crazy to think his targets could increase next year. Even if they dont, the number he got the last five games would've been good for ~93 targets on the year, 10th most among TEs. VJax is a year older and closer to death, a whole bunch of garbage Tampa Bay receivers are going to lose their garbage targets, and ASJ has been with the team another year of growth. He's a great TE flier (what kind of backhanded compliment is that, lol). I'd rather Ebron or some others ahead of him, though. Just depends on who falls. I don't think anyone thinks he's a locked in TE1 or anything.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tiptoes posted:

I'd wait for them to get picked, then target one or more of Dwayne Allen/Martellus Bennett/Zach Miller/Charles Clay. Love them as TE fliers with TE1 upside. I'm probably avoiding other guys like Eric Ebron/ASJ/Jason Witten/Will Tye.

You're legit crazy to have Clay and especially Bennett over that whole tier that you're avoiding. I guess maybe Witten if you're convinced he's going to turn to dust this season, but I have no idea how you can look at Clay and the Pats' TE2 and like them as higher upside fliers than the others.

Edit: Ebron outscored Clay last year with Megatron playing. Witten seems incredibly safe for 70-700-4 (ie blowing Clay and every team's TE2 out of the water). ASJ we can disagree on :) Tye put up 34-400-3 in 8 games as starter (that is, not a whole lot worse than Clay in 13 games). Your rankings of a few guys just confuse me so much, haha. Allen and Miller I'm fine with, good dart throws imo.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tiptoes posted:

Maybe "avoiding" was the wrong word. I just don't view them as any better than streaming options so why leave a draft with one of them is my line of thinking. I don't see a reason to roster Witten with him as old as he is and as run-heavy as the Cowboys want to be this season.

More or less run heavy than 2014? Still put up 64-703-5 that year.

Tiptoes posted:

And Ebron... Ebron is a dude who needs to get much better at football before I'll seriously see him as a sleeper. He is not a player who consistently executes on his assignments and I'm not sure at this point if that's going to change this year and cause his role to grow. If I hear news otherwise, I'll re-consider him but he needs work as a player, not just a target void in the passing game.

I mean, he's a third year player at a position that traditionally develops slowly. I don't think he's going to be getting worse, and his looks are only going to increase, so his production will too even if he doesn't improve as a player. Fair enough if you're happy to consider him a bust, but seems premature.

Tiptoes posted:

Re: Clay
I just think he's an underrated player. He's a well-rounded TE. Dealt with injuries last year but he's still a good passcatcher. And entering 2016, the Bills still don't have many targets in the passing game. Watkins is recovering from foot surgery and Robert Woods isn't one of the better #2s in the league. Rex and his staff wanted Clay on this team so I think they could view him as an underutilized asset going into this second year and he could become a bigger factor in the passing game. Not one of my favorite late round targets, but I do think he could surprise this year.

I see his ceiling as close to Witten's likely line of 70-700-5. Bills aren't going to throw the ball much, and if they do, Watkins will happily soak up all the targets. Clay is a fine low floor low ceiling TE2 imo, but I see him completely as "not better than streaming so why draft him" tier. Lower ceiling than Ebron, lower floor than Witten.

Tiptoes posted:

Re: Bennett
As a Pats fan looking at their offense, I could easily see Bennett carving out a sizeable role. Gronk is the obvious top dog but Edelman/Amendola are both recovering from surgeries this offseason. Their WR corps is basically just them plus Chris Hogan rotating around while a rookie, Malcolm Mitchell, breaks in as the X receiver. Basically I think Dion Lewis and Bennett will be the next options where Brady gets creative in terms of creating one-on-one mismatches anywhere he wants. And Bennett is the healthiest of the group outside of Gronk right now. Back in 2011 when the Pats had Gronk and Hernandez, they ended the year as TE1 and TE3 (in 14 games) and ran two TE sets I think it was 55% of the time. The Pats are still going to run two TE sets probably something like 45% of the time this year so I think there's plenty of room for Bennett to get his numbers. Doesn't have to be TE3 but TE6-8 wouldn't surprise me. And then if Edelman gets hurt, his role in the middle of the field ought to increase. If Gronk gets hurt, his value skyrockets to every week top three play.

I wrote a bunch of words here at first, but I don't think they were all necessary, so I'll just go with a Dandy Kaiser inspired point. It is hard enough to get consistent TE1 numbers from guys that are the only pass catching tight end on their team, and the 2nd or 3rd or 4th option in the passing game. Bennett is a great handcuff to Gronk or even Edelman, but I still think you're crazy to expect TE6-8 from Bennett with a healthy Gronk and Edelman, and a completely intact offense from last year that completely failed to make another pass catching TE2 at all fantasy relevant (assuming Hogan and LaFell are interchangeable). Even if Gronk goes down, you'd just as likely not get those numbers from Bennett.

In conclusion, have more gushing about Scott Chandler and 2 TE sets from early last year:

quote:

The two-tight end offense is back, and it’s as hard to defend as ever.

That’s the biggest takeaway upon closer review of the New England Patriots’ 28-21 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

If this game was any indication, tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Scott Chandler will be a huge part of the Patriots’ offensive game plan all season long. Gronkowski and Chandler combined for six receptions, 95 yards and four touchdowns. Chandler contributed just one one-yard touchdown catch to that stat line, so most of the work was done by Gronkowski.

• Locked thread